6th Round Pick - Alex Murphy - C - Calvert Hall HS, MD

5'11" 210lbs DOB: 10/05/94

Tony's Initial Take: The Orioles seem to be cornering the market on High School catchers. I can talk pretty definitively about Murphy because I scouted him this spring, seeing him play three times. Murphy can flat out hit the ball. He barrels the ball well and has some pop in his bat. He can get out on his front foot at times on off speed stuff and roll over, but he makes good adjustment. He's not afraid to hit to all fields. Although he has shown some pop, he doesn't have the kind of pop that suggests he would have value if he needed to move from behind the plate. He hit only four home runs despite playing in some small MIAA fields. The good news is he doesn't strike out much and will take a walk.

Defensively, Murphy has a solid arm and can regularly pop times around 1.9-2.0 to second base. Still, he has a long arm action at times so with professional coaching he could get even better. He's only ok behind the dish. He doesn't move particularly quick and he doesn't have great hands. Some scouts see his upside as a good hitting backup catcher, while others think his ceiling could be higher. I'm a bit surprised the Orioles took him after already selecting two other high school catchers, but I knew they were interested in this local product. He's a good kid from a good family and although he has a commitment to Wake Forest, I would be surprised if he doesn't sign for slot and get his professional career started quickly.

Alex Murphy

6-1/210/R-R/C-OF-3B

Monrovia, Md./Calvert Hall

Walter on Murphy

"Alex is the best pure bat in this class. He will hit third or fourth as a freshman and be an all-conference type hitter early in his career. Not only is he a good runner for his size, but he hits for power and average. Defensively, he can catch, play third base and kick out to the outfield if need be. Alex is the definition of "ballplayer." He is a gamer who comes to play every day."

High School

Two time All-MIAA selection ... Named First Team All-Metro in 2012 ... Currently ranks second in Calvert Hall career home runs with 18 ... Has hit .435 through his junior season with 97 RBIs and 92 runs scored ... Has also amassed 22 stolen bases ... Ranked #333 by Perfect Game.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/011513aaa.html

My brother knows this kid. Scholarship to Wake Forest. Hit a half-court shot in an assembly to win $1000 as a freshman. Four year varsity starter in a pretty good program. Apparently has some real power. There's got to be some element of signability/loyalty/whatever you want to call it in taking the local kid but this isn't a Ryan Ripken pick either.

My brother knows this kid. Scholarship to Wake Forest. Hit a half-court shot in an assembly to win $1000 as a freshman. Four year varsity starter in a pretty good program. Apparently has some real power. There's got to be some element of signability in taking the local kid but this isn't a Ryan Ripken pick either.

This is nothing like a Ryan Ripken pick. Murphy can hit. The question is will he be able to catch effectively enough to stay behind the dish and if not, does he have enough power to become a 3B/1B/LF guy? I think he's going to be a high average hitter with 15-20 home run potential.

The screwed up or got screwed on Poche last year in the 5th. Gotta think they have a good handle on signing everyone picked so far.

Dan mentioned that Colin change his number dramatically after the draft.

Archived