8th Round Pick - Trey Mancini - 1B - Notre Dame (IN)

From his profile:

"AT NOTRE DAME: Two-year monogram winner enters his junior season with a .320 career batting average, 21 home runs and 79 RBI ..."

MONOGRAM winner? Get over yourself, Notre Dame. It's a damned letter.

That said, hope this kid (and all of the other Oriole draftees) works out.

They don't call them letters at Notre Dame because you don't earn a/one "Letter". You earn two letters (ND). Two letters used as a symbol is by definition a monogram.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Melewski ‏@masnSteve 24s

Orioles have come to terms with 3 draft picks: 1B Trey Mancini (round 8), C Austin Wynns (round 10) & OF Mike Yastrzemski (round 14).

Steve Melewski ‏@masnSteve 42s

Mancini and Wynns are headed to Aberdeen. The younger Yaz too but he won't be there until about a few days into the season.

Have seen a lot of Mancini. Bat doesn't stay in the zone long, but big raw power. Bat speed adequate. Power really his only carrying tool -- needs to hit a bunch to have value. Stats inflated some by mid-week performance, but a solid college kid. Solid value for the round, for sure.

Why the lack of strikeouts? Was the wid-week and out of conference schedule that weak? I keep hear about miss in his bat but his stats don't show it. A solid 8th round pick either way though.

• 2 weeks later...
Why the lack of strikeouts? Was the wid-week and out of conference schedule that weak? I keep hear about miss in his bat but his stats don't show it. A solid 8th round pick either way though.

Swing/bat speed wouldn't seem to translate to wood/advanced pitching. We shall see...

He has gotten off to a good pro start.

Not that I'd extrapolate much from 9 games, but striking out about 21% of the time, walking just 3% of the time, and an XBH once every three games or so. Obviously these are areas he'll need to improve as a bat-only prospect, but we won't even know if these are real issues until he's in full season ball next year.

Not that I'd extrapolate much from 9 games, but striking out about 21% of the time, walking just 3% of the time, and an XBH once every three games or so. Obviously these are areas he'll need to improve as a bat-only prospect, but we won't even know if these are real issues until he's in full season ball next year.

Sure. Thanks for the followup. I appreciate your insight.

Swing/bat speed wouldn't seem to translate to wood/advanced pitching. We shall see...

Thanks. He's an interesting case for statistical analysis for college players now that the bats have been toned down significantly.

Thanks. He's an interesting case for statistical analysis for college players now that the bats have been toned down significantly.

Agreed. Teams trying to incorporate college stat analysis (from my understanding) are still a year or two from feeling more comfortable, since we only have three years of the new bats, and they want a deeper pool of stats to form baselines for comparison.

Agreed. Teams trying to incorporate college stat analysis (from my understanding) are still a year or two from feeling more comfortable, since we only have three years of the new bats, and they want a deeper pool of stats to form baselines for comparison.

Yep. K-BB ratio, K/PA and BB/PA are fairly decent indicators for me with negative stats in these categories as huge red flags. With the new bats, the power numbers have significantly dropped and that is giving us a better idea of true power potential rather than the trumped up stats in year's past. Still, as you are well aware, there are many indicators that have to be taken into consideration.

I never saw Mancini obviously and could only go by the video I saw and his statistics, but the stats belied the fact that some reports said he had a lot of miss. This is what makes him an interesting case to study through his professional career.

Maybe this guy will be our right handed Adam Dunn.

Talk about unreasonable expectations. Mancini doesn't have Dunn's frame, first of all. Second of all, Adam Dunn is an incredibly unusual player and to even throw his name around with an 8th round pick based on nothing more than that that pick hits for some power makes no sense.

Mancini is a fine player, but he's not "right handed Adam Dunn" and we shouldn't even think that's a possibility for him right now.

Talk about unreasonable expectations. Mancini doesn't have Dunn's frame, first of all. Second of all, Adam Dunn is an incredibly unusual player and to even throw his name around with an 8th round pick based on nothing more than that that pick hits for some power makes no sense.

Mancini is a fine player, but he's not "right handed Adam Dunn" and we shouldn't even think that's a possibility for him right now.

Plus Dunn is a pretty awful player. Worse than replacement level past 3 years. Strikes out a ton, hits to a low average and can't field a lick.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Mancini tonight, hes a physical specimen. Had a deep sac fly, and another deep fly ball out to center field. He wasn't playing 1B, he was DH'ing I think. I couldn't find him on the field at least. Got fooled on some breaking pitches in all the AB's I saw.

• 2 months later...

Archived