Poll: Trade Wieters for a TOR starter?

andrewrickli

Trade Wieters for a TOR?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Trade Wieters for a TOR?

• Yes
    • No

Simple poll. Would you trade Wieters for a TOR starter? In the Wieters ERA thread someone mentioned it and I want to get a feel for what you guys think.

A TOR starter is an ace. 200+ inning horse, 3 era, averaging a K every inning.

If you would make the trade who do you trade for, and what would we do about the hole behind the plate?

EDIT: Please don't jump down my throat, I just want to get a feel for what the board thinks of him. Some see him as the top catcher in the league, while others see him as the guy who hits .240.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't think of a way that we could get a TOR pitcher for Matt Wieters plus any sum of money. He's just not that valuable. Throw in Bundy or Machado and it's a deal, but I'm not willing to give up that much of our young core for a TOR starter. We'd be losing more than we'd gain. Like cutting off an arm to save your foot.

Simple poll. Would you trade Wieters for a TOR starter? In the Wieters ERA thread someone mentioned it and I want to get a feel for what you guys think.

If you would make the trade who do you trade for, and what would we do about the hole behind the plate?

EDIT: Please don't jump down my throat, I just want to get a feel for what the board thinks of him. Some see him as the top catcher in the league, while others see him as the guy who hits .240.

Strange, I see him as a top defensive catcher who does hit .240 and will hit 20-25 HRs and OPS .750 which is fine....for now.

I won't jump down your throat, but this is a stupid poll. Only Verlander and Kershaw met that criteria last year.

Obviously I'd trade Wieters for Kershaw. But I still voted No to the poll because teams don't trade the best pitcher in the league when they're 25.

No team is going to give up a TOR starter for a defensive catcher. No team is going to give up a potential TOR starter for a defensive catcher either.

Exactly. Wieters and Matusz might get us the TOR guy...

I'm not a big fan of Wieters. He's not the hitter we thought/hoped he'd be and that's been debated up and down this board ad nauseam. Frobby and I debated a bit about it a few weeks ago, I pointed out that he has some really prolonged slumps and usually finished with a hot September to end up with respectable HR/RBI totals. Frobby showed stats to say that he's not the only Orioles hitter to have a bad month or two per season, which is absolutely true....and I countered by saying that he had some months that were on par with what Andino produced last year from an average/obp perspective. Simply put, I don't have any hope when the guy comes to the plate, especially hitting from the left side. When he's scuffling, he's an automatic out, IMO. His defense is great, obviously. He's a beast at throwing out runners and the staff seems to like throwing to him.

We all have our player we love to hate, Wieters is mine. I wouldn't say I "hate" him, that's far too strong. He's just the Oriole that I don't really care for.

Yet, for some strange reason, I can't think of many players I'd trade for him. While he's an absolutely void from an average/obp view for most of the summer, his little power surges are nice. The defense is great. Not a lot of catchers out there that bring what he does, even though there are some definite flaws.

Flame away.

No one will complain about Matt when he continues to play great defense and OPSs 1.000 in August and September...the offense will come.

This is laughable, Wieters has never OPS'd 1.000 for a month. We've been waiting for the offense to come for years now, let's just forget about "Mauer with power" and chalk him up to what he is. He'll hit .240-.260 with a .300-.325 obp.

Archived