Poll: Trade Wieters for a TOR starter?

andrewrickli

Trade Wieters for a TOR?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Trade Wieters for a TOR?

• Yes
    • No

This is laughable, Wieters has never OPS'd 1.000 for a month. We've been waiting for the offense to come for years now, let's just forget about "Mauer with power" and chalk him up to what he is. He'll hit .240-.260 with a .300-.325 obp.

Pretty much, which will make him one of the better catchers in the AL. But he will likely never be the MVP guy we all hoped he would be.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's doubtful that Wiets would bring a TOR back, but it would be interesting to consider his true trade value for major league talent, and what the orioles catching situation would be moving forward.

While I'm fairly sure that TT and Snyder would be adequate at calling a game, catching...would their lack of defense and lack of staff familiarity throw off our pitching staff? It seems like a volatile proposition in the middle of a pennant race, even if a very good pitcher came back.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

Pretty much, which will make him one of the better catchers in the AL. But he will likely never be the MVP guy we all hoped he would be.

It does, which is still unfortunate. Sure, that puts him in the upper echelon of catchers but let's stop pretending that we're happy giving 105 PA's per month to a .295 on base percentage (Wieters in May) just because there aren't a lot of good offensive catchers out there. Granted, he did hit 10 doubles and 3 homers, slugged .447 which brought his OPS up to a solid .742 for the month.

Right this second, for me the answer is no. As pointed out by others, he is familiar with our pitching staff and I'm not sure any other catcher on the staff has that. On the other other hand, the team ERA this year when he's not catching this year appears to be under 3.00. Yes, it's a very small sample size of 11 games... but it's also enough to at least make you think.

But if we were proposed a trade for a TOR starter with a somewhat favorable contract right now.... I would have to strongly consider it. And frankly, sometimes I wonder if the fact that he was once labeled a hotshot prospect is blinding many here (myself included) from what he really is... an above average catcher. And when you have a chance to get a TOR starter in exchange for an above average catcher (especially when your current rotation.... well... sucks), you do it. Yes, we would lose his defense at catcher and the offense would dip a bit as well... but frankly we DO have some wiggle room offensively to take a hit if we can get a great pitcher out of the deal.

But at the same time, I simply don't trust TOR starting pitchers.... and they ARE also only 1/5 of a staff. And there is still the hope that Wieters CAN turn it around from average hitter to very good hitter. No, he'll never be Mauer with power.... but I still have hope maybe he can develop into a .260-.280 hitter who hits 25-30 HRs and OPS north of .800.

But he IS 27....

If it isn't obvious.... I'm very on the fence on this one, and I think it entirely depends on the contract of the TOR starter in question. But given the fact that a TOR dangled for Wieters would likely be a one year rental... and that we don't have a clear answer for who replaces Wieters, I would still have to go with no.

I'm not a big fan of Wieters. He's not the hitter we thought/hoped he'd be and that's been debated up and down this board ad nauseam. Frobby and I debated a bit about it a few weeks ago, I pointed out that he has some really prolonged slumps and usually finished with a hot September to end up with respectable HR/RBI totals. Frobby showed stats to say that he's not the only Orioles hitter to have a bad month or two per season, which is absolutely true....and I countered by saying that he had some months that were on par with what Andino produced last year from an average/obp perspective. Simply put, I don't have any hope when the guy comes to the plate, especially hitting from the left side. When he's scuffling, he's an automatic out, IMO. His defense is great, obviously. He's a beast at throwing out runners and the staff seems to like throwing to him.

We all have our player we love to hate, Wieters is mine. I wouldn't say I "hate" him, that's far too strong. He's just the Oriole that I don't really care for.

Yet, for some strange reason, I can't think of many players I'd trade for him. While he's an absolutely void from an average/obp view for most of the summer, his little power surges are nice. The defense is great. Not a lot of catchers out there that bring what he does, even though there are some definite flaws.

Flame away.

This is the side of the argument I fall on. Although, I can think of a ton of players I would trade him for. The problem would be getting the other team to accept. I'm also fearful of his contract expectations. I don't like the thought of a defensive catcher hindering this team with an overinflated contract.

This is the side of the argument I fall on. Although, I can think of a ton of players I would trade him for. The problem would be getting the other team to accept. I'm also fearful of his contract expectations. I don't like the thought of a defensive catcher hindering this team with an overinflated contract.

Agreed. I know people are going to whine that he's not a defensive catcher because of the respectable power numbers, but that's how I perceive him.

I mean, if there are a couple batters in our lineup that the opposing team would choose to pitch to, it's gotta be whoever is playing 2nd base and Wieters.

Trading Matt Wieters would be a big mistake. A catcher like him comes along once in a blue moon. On the other hand there would be teams standing in line for him.

An all defense catcher comes along once in a blue moon?

I'm actually a bit surprised how lopsided this poll is in favor of no. The O's starters’ era is amongst the worst in baseball. I know the OP didn't necessarily state if it was for a 1 year rental etc. but let’s say you could get a true injury free ace for 2 plus years I would make that deal.

I much rather be the Rays who continue to have excellent starting pitching and have someone like Jose Molina and Kelly Shoppach behind home plate.

Like many people on the OH, I’m a Wieters fan. I know he hasn’t turned into the hitting savior many of us expected but he still brings tremendous value to the ballclub. The idea of having Tea or Snyder as catcher can be frightening but you need to trade talent to receive talent. I can see why people would vote no, but like I said I didn’t expect to be this many no’s.

On the flip side let’s say the O’s had Matt Moore etc. and he was traded straight up for Wieters, I would think this board would have a meltdown.

Also Wieters is going to be a free agent in 2 years? Is that correct, I’ve checked online and some sites say 2016 which I believe is incorrect. How much money is Boras going to be asking for etc. needs to be considered. (Yes, I’m aware Wieters has stated he wants to stay a O’ etc.)

Anyway go O’s, hope they can salvage a game vs. the Rays today.

If you would be satisfied with Taylor Teagarden or Chris Snyder catching every day, then you're going to get comfortable returning to mediocrity, because that's exactly what would happen.

The same could be said if the awful pitching continues. I like Wieters, but if I could get a true ace for him under control for a few years I would do it. The O's will eventually have alot of players they need to lock up and I'm not sure how much it's going to cost to sign Wieters long term. Also, during the offseason you could always sign a catcher, trade for one during the season etc.

Anyway, no team is going to trade a young ace for Wieters straight up anyway.

Trading Matt Wieters would be a big mistake. A catcher like him comes along once in a blue moon. On the other hand there would be teams standing in line for him.

And the Top of the Rotation Starter that they would offer would be Rick Porcello, Phil Hughes, Dillon Gee and Jair Jurrjens.

Archived