Poll: Trade Wieters for a TOR starter?

andrewrickli

Trade Wieters for a TOR?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Trade Wieters for a TOR?

• Yes
    • No

No one will complain about Matt when he continues to play great defense and OPSs 1.000 in August and September...the offense will come.

Wieters has never OPS'ed over .950 in a single month. I find it hard to believe he'd OPS over 1.000 for a 2 month span. He most likely never will. He's simply not a good enough hitter. He has way too many holes in his swing.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wieters is an above average catcher. He's above average defensively and he's a little above average offensively although the latter is more of a statement on the current state of catching in the majors. Wieters is NOT:

1. The best defensive catcher and thrower since Johnny Bench.

2. Some great handler of pitchers that is above and beyond your average ML catcher

3. Some great pitch caller who makes pitchers even better than they really are

4. Indispensable. Well, he is but it's only because we have no one else right now. He's replaceable.

5. A player who will get you a TOR starter by himself.

Wieters IS:

1. A player we should hold onto but not extend to a big, long contract

2. Someone we should build around so he comes the 7th or 8th place hitter that he really is.

Good post RZ. He also IS an injury waiting to happen and a potential financial albatross with a fat long term contract imo.

Wieters has never OPS'ed over .950 in a single month. I find it hard to believe he'd OPS over 1.000 for a 2 month span. He most likely never will. He's simply not a good enough hitter. He has way too many holes in his swing.

You are right, hyperbole. Really though - see how many people are complaining about him in the last two months of the season.

Um, who would be dumb enough to trade a TOR rotation starter for a .250 hitting catcher? Isn't going to happen.

YES things could change. But today, there's no way anyone does this.

Come to think of it actually, there are only three catchers you could trade a TOR starter for: Molina, Mauer, Posey.

Good post RZ. He also IS an injury waiting to happen and a potential financial albatross with a fat long term contract imo.

This is just grasping for straws, because he's never had a major injury or missed significant time, so even going off fear and speculation, which is exactly what you're doing, Wieters is not an injury waiting to happen.

The same could be said if the awful pitching continues. I like Wieters' date=' but if I could get a true ace for him under control for a few years I would do it. The O's will eventually have alot of players they need to lock up and I'm not sure how much it's going to cost to sign Wieters long term. Also, during the offseason you could always sign a catcher, trade for one during the season etc.

Anyway, no team is going to trade a young ace for Wieters straight up anyway.[/quote']

It's much easier to find starting pitching than it is to find even an above average catcher, which on his good days Wieters is certainly that. Heck, the Orioles found Miguel Gonzalez out of nowhere last season, it can be done. You're not finding a Matt Wieters just off the scrap heap. You're not finding a Matt Wieters just about anywhere. If you put Wieters on the market, teams are going to be interested, and somebody is going to want to give up a good haul to get him, believe it. But, Wieters is not on the market, and nor should he be, and if anybody actually believes the return on pitching will offset the drop off to a Teagarden or Snyder and the inevitable black hole from both a production, pitcher relationship, and I believe a leadership standpoint that Wieters provides, then they are sorely mistaken.

This is just grasping for straws, because he's never had a major injury or missed significant time, so even going off fear and speculation, which is exactly what you're doing, Wieters is not an injury waiting to happen.

HA HA HA. I used to think that about Cal Ripken, Jr. in about 1988 and 1989.

I thought to myself, "This guy plays EVERY DAY in the middle of the infield with all of those opposing runners sliding into him. He's an injury waiting to happen."

A 6'5" catcher is an injury waiting to happen imo. Call it grasping at straws all you want.

Of course I would, as would the Orioles, but no team would offer that. I like Matt but he's settled into "slightly above average" overall. Glad to have him, don't want to give him some huge extension since Cs wear out quickly and he simply can not turn into a 1B/DH type. He badly needs to move down in the lineup.

I voted no. MW may not hit for a great avg but he always seems to get hot come crunch time. IMO he would be the worst kind of player to trade at the deadline. One that consistantly gets hot in Aug and Sept. The offseason is the time to make a deal involving Weiters.

... pitcher relationship, and I believe a leadership standpoint that Wieters provides, then they are sorely mistaken.

Yes, pitcher relationships and leadership qualities.....

Hyperbolic nonsense. Look we're not in a position to trade Wieters now (and I doubt we'll trade him next year), but he's most certainly replaceable, especially when you consider future cost/value projections. He's not going to yield a TOR pitcher either.

Well out of the 25 men on the roster I'd trade 24 of them for a TOR starter. So it's not an indictment against Wieters at all.

I guess that means you would trade one of Davis or Machado. If you do that the offense wouldn't be good enough to compete even with a TOR starter.

Archived