Poll: Trade Wieters for a TOR starter?

andrewrickli

Trade Wieters for a TOR?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Trade Wieters for a TOR?

• Yes
    • No

I guess that means you would trade one of Davis or Machado. If you do that the offense wouldn't be good enough to compete even with a TOR starter.

I'd trade Davis for somebody like Chris Sale or Matt Harvey. I think that would be a steal for the Orioles. Chris Davis has been great, but he's a 1B who yet to show he can dominate a whole year. I'd trade him for a TOR starter, especially a cheap one.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd trade Davis for somebody like Chris Sale or Matt Harvey. I think that would be a steal for the Orioles. Chris Davis has been great, but he's a 1B who yet to show he can dominate a whole year. I'd trade him for a TOR starter, especially a cheap one.

I agree with you about Davis for Harvey. Not Sale though.

I would absolutely trade Wieters and not only for a TOR starter, but even for a solid #3-#4. Maybe even a #5 if I got a little something extra like a B/B+ prospect

Gausman is NOT a #5 MLB starter right now. He is AAA caliber. Britton is a better option. As for his Detroit performance, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Would be a huge upgrade even to get a #4 starter in this rotation.

Also, if this team wants to re-sign Davis in the offseason, they'd better dump some salary. Does anybody really think we'd only get 1/10 of the production from Teagarden as we get from Wieters? His salary is about 1/10 of Wieters, would love to dump that $5mil and offer it to Davis instead.

I get that Wieters plays good defense, but you can shake a tree and a dozen fielders will fall out.

I agree with you about Davis for Harvey. Not Sale though.

It has taken eons for the O's to finally find a 1B who hits like a 1B should. No way do I trade Davis. He is a franchise player, moreso than anyone else on the team right now except maybe Machado, even at last year's statistics. You HAVE to have a power hitting 1st baseman, there are no two ways about it.

It has taken eons for the O's to finally find a 1B who hits like a 1B should. No way do I trade Davis. He is a franchise player, moreso than anyone else on the team right now except maybe Machado, even at last year's statistics. You HAVE to have a power hitting 1st baseman, there are no two ways about it.

I don't think you have to have any one player in a particular mold to win. It'd be a tough trade to pull the trigger on I admit, but (considering all the factors involved) I'd probably do it. No worries as it will never happen in reality.

Theres one thing in common that all the best teams have in common: an Ace pitcher. Its not a "top 5" catcher. Which wieters isnt btw. A Clay Bucholtz type pitcher would absolutely trump wieters in terms of what they would bring to the team.

You're not quite there yet, this one's on me. :new_beer:

I wouldn't trade any position player that is 27 years old having the year Davis is having, for either of those two guys. Probably not even for any pitcher. Pitchers are just too risky.

Wieters is an above average catcher. He's above average defensively and he's a little above average offensively although the latter is more of a statement on the current state of catching in the majors. Wieters is NOT:

1. The best defensive catcher and thrower since Johnny Bench.

2. Some great handler of pitchers that is above and beyond your average ML catcher

3. Some great pitch caller who makes pitchers even better than they really are

4. Indispensable. Well, he is but it's only because we have no one else right now. He's replaceable.

5. A player who will get you a TOR starter by himself.

Wieters IS:

1. A player we should hold onto but not extend to a big, long contract

2. Someone we should build around so he comes the 7th or 8th place hitter that he really is.

This is a great take. Especially agree on the part about the current state of catching in the majors. There aren't a lot of great ones at the moment.

I sincerely hope we don't sign him to some big mega-deal which would prohibit us from keeping others.

Theres one thing in common that all the best teams have in common: an Ace pitcher. Its not a "top 5" catcher. Which wieters isnt btw. A Clay Bucholtz type pitcher would absolutely trump wieters in terms of what they would bring to the team.

Oak doesn't have a standout pitcher. And Molina, Posey, and Montero are considered by many to be top 5 catchers. Even so, your point makes it even more rediculous people blame Wieters for the bad pitching. If the O's had guys like Cain, Wainwright, Verlander etc, his game calling would look a lot better. Wieters is just the current whipping boy. It was Jones and his inabilty to lay off the slider (which he still can't) or Markakis and his lack of HR in the past.

Oak doesn't have a standout pitcher. And Molina, Posey, and Montero are considered by many to be top 5 catchers. Even so, your point makes it even more rediculous people blame Wieters for the bad pitching. If the O's had guys like Cain, Wainwright, Verlander etc, his game calling would look a lot better. Wieters is just the current whipping boy. It was Jones and his inabilty to lay off the slider (which he still can't) or Markakis and his lack of HR in the past.

And Manny could hit .320 and play GG defense, but if he doesn't become a 30+ HR hitter in the next couple years, some will complain he doesn't have corner IF power and he needs to be moved.

Nice post.

Nice post.

Thanks weams. Id be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed in Wieters bat. But, he is still above avg with the bat and his defense is elite. Besides, the days of having guys like Gil, Fordyce, Bako etc are too fresh in my mind. I rember how happy I was when they signed Hernandez and Lopez. I like not having the C position atleast not a total black hole...like 2b.

We would be better off trading Matt for a package of quality prospects because we are going to have a hard time extending so many of the Orioles that have performed well over the last couple of years. I could think of a few teams that would like to have Matt, but a few of those teams are in our division and that wouldn't make much sense.

We would be better off trading Matt for a package of quality prospects because we are going to have a hard time extending so many of the Orioles that have performed well over the last couple of years. I could think of a few teams that would like to have Matt, but a few of those teams are in our division and that wouldn't make much sense.

Who do they have to extend that Wieters would hinder? If Davis is truly a legit .300 35+ HR hitting 1B, then he won't be an Oriole either way. The O's won't pay him the 7/150 it will take to keep him.

Archived