Trade Wieters for a TOR?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Trade Wieters for a TOR?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt Wieters might get you a TOR starter from a AA roster.

and I would trade him for a Renauldo(Bos AA) or equivalent, + a AAAA type defensive catcher for depth, and a couple complete shot in the dark single A type prospects.

I think the O's should be looking to package Wieters, Jim Johnson, and Brian Matusz and see what that can get.

Convert Matt to a SP. We need one. He could hit for himself. Then we could get the bat of offensive juggernaut Teagarden in there. Besides, we all know how great our pitching magically becomes when Wieters isn't behind the plate, right? See, all of our problems are solved! :rolleyes:

And looking at Wieters game log, he has had 4 good games that helped raise his average substantially. Without those he'd be the .225 hitter that he looks like.

But hey, if you take away his 4 worst games, he's hitting .263!

I'm sorry, I really can't stand posts like these.

"Take away his best games, and he's no good!"

Just doesn't make sense. Those games happened.

Wieters is an all star catcher. He seems to let go of the bat too soon. If both hands stayed on the bat longer his body would move more towards the ball thus producing more hits to all directions.

He employs the Charlie Lau approach to hitting that many good hitters use. Release the top hand on contact with the ball. You hold on to the bat too long and you roll over and/or don't square the ball up properly...or so the theory goes. Presly appears to be pretty sharp. He's having good results with just about everybody. No offense, but if it were as simple as what you're saying, I think Presly would be on it. There does appear to be some issues with quickness and/or timing from the left side. Not sure if that's fixable/improvable or not at this point. I would guess not. That said, I do think he has the capability to hit for more power/HR's by increasing his FB% and could do it without sacraficing much in BA/OPB.

Hopefully Wieters will settle into something closer to his career numbers than what he's done so far. I tend to agree with El Gordo that there may be something wrong with his back (based on some previous comments by Buck and how the O's tend to hide injuries).

It does, which is still unfortunate. Sure, that puts him in the upper echelon of catchers but let's stop pretending that we're happy giving 105 PA's per month to a .295 on base percentage (Wieters in May) just because there aren't a lot of good offensive catchers out there. Granted, he did hit 10 doubles and 3 homers, slugged .447 which brought his OPS up to a solid .742 for the month.

I REALLY LIKE Matt. Like... I really do. Yet I can't help but wince when he comes to the plate left-handed in a crucial situation. I just know it's likely a strike-out, weak grounder or pop fly.

And yet... Last year, he got off on a hot streak and I wanted them to sign him long-term right away. When he looks good, he looked *really* good. The guy who said the offense will come is right.

It's just... when.

Archived