Nick Markakis Is Close to Torii Hunter For 3rd OF All-Star Starter

Brooks The Great

Well, shouldn't you get credit for the second half of the previous season or is it just a first half honor? Markakis trails Torii Hunter and I'd say you can make a decent case for him at least having as good a season or better than Hunter to this point.

I view the choice as one that seeks to balance how well the player has done to start the season with his contributions in recent years (not just the second half of the previous season). I never just vote for Orioles. I actually try to figure out who are the most deserving players and vote for them, because I think the ASG is a lot more compelling when that is the criteria (and not which team's fans are willing to rig the results more.) By that standard, the only Orioles I'm voting for are Davis and Jones. I might vote for Hardy some if he keeps up his current offensive barrage, because taken together with his defense it makes him a very valuable player. Nick Markakis is nowhere near the conversation. He's a corner outfielder with a 105 OPS+. Torii Hunter is in the same boat, but then the choice is not between Markakis and Hunter. There are plenty of other outfielders who are more deserving. You could start with Jose Bautista, who entered play tonight with a 130 OPS+ and last time I checked had homered twice in Chicago.

Also, remember that the winner of the ASG gets home field advantage in the WS. If the Orioles were to reach the WS (not out of the question) you want them to have home field advantage. Your ballot should be a determination of which players you think are most likely to help reach that goal.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I view the choice as one that seeks to balance how well the player has done to start the season with his contributions in recent years (not just the second half of the previous season). I never just vote for Orioles. I actually try to figure out who are the most deserving players and vote for them, because I think the ASG is a lot more compelling when that is the criteria (and not which team's fans are willing to rig the results more.) By that standard, the only Orioles I'm voting for are Davis and Jones. I might vote for Hardy some if he keeps up his current offensive barrage, because taken together with his defense it makes him a very valuable player. Nick Markakis is nowhere near the conversation. He's a corner outfielder with a 105 OPS+. Torii Hunter is in the same boat, but then the choice is not between Markakis and Hunter. There are plenty of other outfielders who are more deserving. You could start with Jose Bautista, who entered play tonight with a 130 OPS+ and last time I checked had homered twice in Chicago.

Also, remember that the winner of the ASG gets home field advantage in the WS. If the Orioles were to reach the WS (not out of the question) you want them to have home field advantage. Your ballot should be a determination of which players you think are most likely to help reach that goal.

I disagree with your taking into consideration the contributions from previous years. I don't think it's meant to be a cumulative selection. I like at least a seasons worth of data to look at.

I will concede that simply voting for favorites is something I've never enjoyed and for that reason I'd prefer to see the players have a voice in the voting process.

Whomever is most deserving should be in the game by whatever criteria they set up, whether it's how you've said or even if it's only for half a season. If it is determining a home field for a team then ballot stuffing should be eliminated.

I heard tonight on TV that he's in 4th place behind Torii Hunter in voting (Adam Jones is 1st!) and he's only behind by like 30,000 votes (which isn't a whole lot).

Markakis HAS to be the best player in baseball right now never to have made an AS game. Let's get him there!

We have an opportunity to have 4 starting players (Jones, Davis, Hardy, and Markakis) and if by some miracle Wieters catches Mauer, that would be awesome too!

As much as i like Nick, id be more tempted to vote for McClouth. He has had more of an impact thusfar this year in my opinion.

Mclouth has been huge for us- and probably had a more significant impact on fantasy teams- but you do realize Markakis has 7 game winning rbi hits this season. 3 more than anyone else on the team. I was amazed when they showed that stat tonight. Besides that, he's been the heart and soul of this team for years now- and ALWAYS overlooked. I remember the year we sent Ty Wiggington to the all star game - because he'd had a great 1st half- but as usual- Markakis was slow and steady- and had a great year- but no credit.

This is an Orioles fan site- so anywhere else I might buy that argument- but to be a true Orioles fan- and to seriously say we should vote for McLouth over Markakis is kind of a joke- and I'd hope just a result of playing Devils advocate. And I LOVE McLouth, but Nick deserves OUR vote!

Nick DESERVES an all-star selection in his career! Let's make it happen!

Mclouth has been huge for us- and probably had a more significant impact on fantasy teams- but you do realize Markakis has 7 game winning rbi hits this season. 3 more than anyone else on the team. I was amazed when they showed that stat tonight. Besides that, he's been the heart and soul of this team for years now- and ALWAYS overlooked. I remember the year we sent Ty Wiggington to the all star game - because he'd had a great 1st half- but as usual- Markakis was slow and steady- and had a great year- but no credit.

This is an Orioles fan site- so anywhere else I might buy that argument- but to be a true Orioles fan- and to seriously say we should vote for McLouth over Markakis is kind of a joke- and I'd hope just a result of playing Devils advocate. And I LOVE McLouth, but Nick deserves OUR vote!

Nick DESERVES an all-star selection in his career! Let's make it happen!

Agreed! Plus, he's so damn close to being the 3rd OF starter. Chances are that we as a fanbase won't have an opportunity like this again - voting in a guy who really doesn't quite "deserve" it compared to other players from a statistical standpoint, and a guy who hasn't ever been an All-Star, but who's still a fairly popular/quality player.

Archived