Nick Markakis Is Close to Torii Hunter For 3rd OF All-Star Starter

Brooks The Great

I view the choice as one that seeks to balance how well the player has done to start the season with his contributions in recent years (not just the second half of the previous season). I never just vote for Orioles. I actually try to figure out who are the most deserving players and vote for them, because I think the ASG is a lot more compelling when that is the criteria (and not which team's fans are willing to rig the results more.) By that standard, the only Orioles I'm voting for are Davis and Jones. I might vote for Hardy some if he keeps up his current offensive barrage, because taken together with his defense it makes him a very valuable player. Nick Markakis is nowhere near the conversation. He's a corner outfielder with a 105 OPS+. Torii Hunter is in the same boat, but then the choice is not between Markakis and Hunter. There are plenty of other outfielders who are more deserving. You could start with Jose Bautista, who entered play tonight with a 130 OPS+ and last time I checked had homered twice in Chicago.

Also, remember that the winner of the ASG gets home field advantage in the WS. If the Orioles were to reach the WS (not out of the question) you want them to have home field advantage. Your ballot should be a determination of which players you think are most likely to help reach that goal.

Are you kidding me? Did you step in crap rolling off the wrong side of the bed this morning????? Such strong hyperbole and nothing to back it up with- when you're talking to a bunch of people who know EXACTLY how underrated and valuable Nick Markakis actually is. A gold glove defender and clutch hitter- as a "young" veteran on an up and coming team doesn't mean a thing. Suddenly the only qualification is OPS???

Think before you talk dude. It's one thing to say you don't think he's one of the top three outfielders in the league- but to say he's not in the conversation- get the you know what out of here- and be glad we aren't in the same bar having this discussion.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you kidding me? Did you step in crap rolling off the wrong side of the bed this morning????? Such strong hyperbole and nothing to back it up with- when you're talking to a bunch of people who know EXACTLY how underrated and valuable Nick Markakis actually is. A gold glove defender and clutch hitter- as a "young" veteran on an up and coming team doesn't mean a thing. Suddenly the only qualification is OPS???

Think before you talk dude. It's one thing to say you don't think he's one of the top three outfielders in the league- but to say he's not in the conversation- get the you know what out of here- and be glad we aren't in the same bar having this discussion.

Rex Thunders!!--knowing of course that he's not likely to run into Crawjo, dissing Nick in upper-state NY, in a bar in Reseda!

Oh come off it, Nate McLouth alone has like double Markakis' WAR.

Oh come off it, Nate McLouth alone has like double Markakis' WAR.

Rex Has a point, How many misplays and errors does Markakis have in RF? Now think about how many Jones has. It would stand to reason that Markakis has practically zero value defensively because of his home ballpark and dwar's valuation of the ballpark. The guy is better than they give him credit for defensively.

Rex Has a point, How many misplays and errors does Markakis have in RF? Now think about how many Jones has. It would stand to reason that Markakis has practically zero value defensively because of his home ballpark and dwar's valuation of the ballpark. The guy is better than they give him credit for defensively.

You know fielding % is not that great a stat, however it does make you raise your eyebrows that Nick has the second highest Fielding % for a RF in the history of baseball and if he does not have an error for about a season from now will have the highest ever. He is better than just "sure handed". I also have never heard an explanation that makes sense as to why over his career statistically he is a better fielder everywhere but OPACY.

Do you know anything at all about baseball? This reply makes me think no.

1.) Markakis is not a "young" veteran. He is 29 years old and has been around now for eight seasons.

2.) OPS is a lot better criterion for evaluating a player than how "clutch" he is.

3.) Yes, he's nowhere near the conversation for top three outfielders in the American League. He's only the third best outfielder on the Orioles. Add in guys like Trout, Bautista, Crisp, Cespedes, Ellsbury, Gardner, and no, it's not close.

4.) I think WAR underrates Markakis's defense, but not by as much as people say. He's not a GG-level defender anymore. He's lost too much range for that, and his arm, while above-average, is not as good as people make it out to be.

Do you know anything at all about baseball? This reply makes me think no.

Yes, I always vote for the OPS+ leaders at each position. That way I ensure the best players get to the AS game. I also need to update my avatar to a WWI era player so people know I'm a knowledgeable baseball fan and not some guy who reads numbers on websites to assign value to players. Then I try to condescend and say others know nothing about baseball because they don't vote OPS+ up and down the board. I try to remind myself we can't all be the cognoscenti.

yes, i always vote for the wOBA leaders at each position. That way i ensure the best players get to the as game. I also need to update my avatar to a wwi era player so people know i'm a knowledgeable baseball fan and not some guy who reads numbers on websites to assign value to players. Then i try to condescend and say others know nothing about baseball because they don't vote wOBA up and down the board. I try to remind myself we can't all be the cognoscenti.

ftfy..

Yes, I always vote for the OPS+ leaders at each position. That way I ensure the best players get to the AS game. I also need to update my avatar to a WWI era player so people know I'm a knowledgeable baseball fan and not some guy who reads numbers on websites to assign value to players. Then I try to condescend and say others know nothing about baseball because they don't vote OPS+ up and down the board. I try to remind myself we can't all be the cognoscenti.
ftfy..

OPS+, wOBA......come on guys defense has to play some part.;)

Archived