Clemens' 60 Minutes interview

tennOsfan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a good tactic for him. Clemens can afford a "dream team" of lawyers, while McNamee would have difficulty coming up with a retainer for the poorest lawyer out there. I hope that someone starts up a legal fund for McNamee; I usually don't contribute to those things, but I might make an exception in this case.

This is particularly ironic to me since (if I am remembering the interview correctly), Mike Wallace asked if Clemens would be suing MacNamee. Clemens' response was something along the lines of "I'd have to spend a ton of money to clear my name" yada yada yada (this might even be were he brought up the "guilty until you prove yourself innocent" statement).

And less than a day after the interview aired, he's willing to "spend a ton of money to clear [his] name." :rolleyes:

Witchy

This is particularly ironic to me since (if I am remembering the interview correctly), Mike Wallace asked if Clemens would be suing MacNamee. Clemens' response was something along the lines of "I'd have to spend a ton of money to clear my name" yada yada yada (this might even be were he brought up the "guilty until you prove yourself innocent" statement).

And less than a day after the interview aired, he's willing to "spend a ton of money to clear [his] name." :rolleyes:

Witchy

Like we are supposed to feel sorry for a guy who just got 20+ million to play half a season of baseball. Pardon me for not shedding a tear while this guy has to spend a ton of money.

Like we are supposed to feel sorry for a guy who just got 20+ million to play half a season of baseball. Pardon me for not shedding a tear while this guy has to spend a ton of money.

Really. He got over a million-per-start.

Do we have any rich people here? I'm just curious about how much is enough. Once you have several million already, what do you do with the additional millions? Do the extra millions change how you live?

ps: If you do have a couple million extra, we have a great little 3-property beach-front compound we're ready to sell. (Great timing, I know, but my bride wants to be nearer to the grandkids.)

Personally this interview just confirmed to me what I always thought of Clemens, and that is he is a "nut job." In other words, he has more than a few screws loose. Not playing with a full deck..... you get the picture!

Clemens was probably lying, but who knows? I get no joy out of seeing him toppled because it's only bad news for the game I love. He was a beast on the hill, and I'm glad I got to see him no matter what he was using. The rest of my post isn't really related to last night, but some of you might enjoy part of it anyway.

My 'brush with greatness' experience with Clemens took place in 1987 or so when he arrived at Memorial Stadium in a taxi several hours before a night game. I was one of a dozen or so people that immediately surrounded him to try to get an autograph as he walked towards the gate to the ballpark, but I missed out when someone nicked his shirt by accident with their pen. Not saying the Rocket was out of line in this case, but I'd never seen a player just flip the switch like he did right there. "You wrecked my $400 shirt. Get out of my way!".

The guys who manned the gates where the players came and went from the ballpark used to marvel at Clemens devotion to running. One time (6/18/90 seems to fit the bill), he got KO'd early on by the Orioles, took off running through the streets of Baltimore, and logged at least 6 miles before returning to the ballpark in time to shower before the game was finished.

After the O's moved to Camden Yards, I vividly recall watching Clemens and Jose Canseco have a long one-on-one talk during batting practice. It stuck with me not because of any steroids suspicions (though looking back now, I wonder ;) ), but because two guys I once imagined would never switch uniforms were decked out in Toronto Blue Jays gear.

Guest BaltiJo
Wallace is huge baseball fan. He has a box at Yankee Stadium. He has close ties with the Yanks. Based on what I saw tonight, I surmised that he doesn't believe Clemens, didn't really want to do this interview, but wasn't willing to interview him thoroughly either. Mike Wallace is a brilliant man and a classically tough interviewer and it didn't take a brilliant man to completely expose Clemens tonight. He chose not to. I wouldn't have wanted to do it if I was him either, but I would have excused myself from the interview rather than pulled my punches.

Wow, I had no idea he was so into baseball.

Growing up, I was a huge 60 Minutes fan and loved Mike Wallace. I don't even think I always appreciated his work as much as it could have been appreciated during that time in my life.

I'm still not certain how much was tactical restraint vs. pulled punches/backing off. I think that it definitely could have been a tougher interview, though. I would love to have been a fly on the wall during the discussion with Wallace and producers about the interview. My gut was saying that Clemens was up against the ropes the whole time. I think an interviewer could have pushed him out of the ring if they really pressed that evening.

Wow, I had no idea he was so into baseball.

Growing up, I was a huge 60 Minutes fan and loved Mike Wallace. I don't even think I always appreciated his work as much as it could have been appreciated during that time in my life.

I'm still not certain how much was tactical restraint vs. pulled punches/backing off. I think that it definitely could have been a tougher interview, though. I would love to have been a fly on the wall during the discussion with Wallace and producers about the interview. My gut was saying that Clemens was up against the ropes the whole time. I think an interviewer could have pushed him out of the ring if they really pressed that evening.

People may have different opinions about Mike Wallace, I really don't know about that, but I think everyone would agree that the major part of his whole career rep is that he was a real shark about grilling people. He'd be civil in his manner, but the content of his questions were the equivalent of throwing people against the wall *hard*. In the midst of controversy, nobody in their right mind would want Mike Wallace to be the guy interviewing them. Seems like that somehow disappeared when Rocket was the guy he was questioning. I have no news about why it happened, but Mike Wallace wasn't acting like Mike Wallace.

People may have different opinions about Mike Wallace, I really don't know about that, but I think everyone would agree that the major part of his whole career rep is that he was a real shark about grilling people. He'd be civil in his manner, but the content of his questions were the equivalent of throwing people against the wall *hard*. In the midst of controversy, nobody in their right mind would want Mike Wallace to be the guy interviewing them. Seems like that somehow disappeared when Rocket was the guy he was questioning. I have no news about why it happened, but Mike Wallace wasn't acting like Mike Wallace.

I don't doubt that Mike Wallace has something of a sympathetic relationship with Clemens and the Yankees, but I really doubt the man would imperil his own reputation over that.

My best answer to "what happened to the real Mike Wallace?" question is:

"He'll be 90 years old in May". 90!

I will be shocked if Clemens pursues the defamation case he has filed all the way through discovery and a trial. It's a pretty common tactic for a public figure to file a defamation suit to garner some favorable publicity, and then quietly drop the case later on.

'Zackly. You shoulda heard me cussing like a sailor while the Rocket was playing his "woe is me" charade. :D

Witchy

I will be shocked if Clemens pursues the defamation case he has filed all the way through discovery and a trial. It's a pretty common tactic for a public figure to file a defamation suit to garner some favorable publicity, and then quietly drop the case later on.

Oh, I also doubt if it will go to trial. It's partly the publicity value of beating McNamee to the punch and it's partly the intimidation factor of having his high paid lawyers beat up on McNamee's under paid crew.

Normally, the rich guy's legal team would browbeat the poor guy into settling out of court with an agreement to stop making public statements. That doesn't really apply here, because McNamee is also under subpoena for next week along with Clemens. McNamee can't back down or he'll be susceptible to prosecution for perjury for his previous sworn testimony regarding Clemens. Whether he was lying about Clemens or not -- and I don't believe he was lying -- he's now boxed in to sticking with his story.

However, I now recall that it was McNamee's lawyer issuing the threat of filing a defamation suit against Clemens if he went ahead and accused McNamee of lying during the 60 Minutes segment, so I have to think that McNamee's lawyers should have been prepared for this. Maybe it really doesn't mean anything, except Clemens angling for a little more favorable publicity.

Something else was brought up on a Cardinals forum. It's theorized that Clemens will use his outstanding suit against McNamee to dodge questions during his congressional appearance, contending that his testimony to congress could jeopardize the standing on his civil suit. That sounds like a better explanation than angling for public sympathy or trying to intimidate McNamee.

Something else was brought up on a Cardinals forum. It's theorized that Clemens will use his outstanding suit against McNamee to dodge questions during his congressional appearance, contending that his testimony to congress could jeopardize the standing on his civil suit. That sounds like a better explanation than angling for public sympathy or trying to intimidate McNamee.

I think that's the key. Now he can refuse to answer questions by saying "he can't discuss certain topics due to an ongoing lawsuit". This way, he doesn't have to talk while not looking like a fool (like McGwire).

ps: If you do have a couple million extra, we have a great little 3-property beach-front compound we're ready to sell. (Great timing, I know, but my bride wants to be nearer to the grandkids.)

Is this saying from a movie or something? I've seen it used on the OH at least 20 times in the past 2 weeks, not exaggerating here. No offense but I'm starting to despise it, can't we think of any other brief jokes claiming someone is a fool?

'Zackly. You shoulda heard me cussing like a sailor while the Rocket was playing his "woe is me" charade. :D

Witchy

Seriously!!! All I could think of was Montgomery Burns sitting at his desk saying how things are tight right now only for the ceiling to collapse as he's buried in a pile of gold and a crown lands on him.

Boohoo Roger you have to spend a little money, I guess you can't get that new ivory back scratcher this month!!!

I'd guess that Mike Wallace wasn't as aggressive on Clemens as we might expect because there was likely some stipulation that he couldn't grill him too much.

To get that exclusive interview, I bet CBS was willing to make some concessions in how Clemens was questioned.

Archived