Something needs to be done about Wieters

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has put up better stats then he did last year at this time or about the same.

2012- .245 BA,9 HR's. 27 RBI's, 10 DBL's

2013- .241 BA, 8 HR's,34 RBi's,, 15 DBL's

His offense is about the same, The thing is people keep saying he is a great hitter for a catcher. This is not true based on stats. He is middle of the pack but does have more power then most other catchers.

The defense is the thing that seems to have gotten worse. Four passed balls and does not seem to be blocking pitches as well. Yesterday,he lost a pop up in the sky. The day before he took a bad route on another pop near the railing. He has misplayed about five pop ups behind home plate over the course of the season. He seems to be having a little trouble on defense except for throwing out runners. The pitchers on the Orioles help with this based on Buck's TTPS for pitchers.

You're right because we're winning and he throws out a lot of base stealers he's immune from having his offense, which is poor, discussed.

The fact is, he bats too high, especially against righties who he absolutely stinks against. Once Betemit comes back I'd like to see him hit 6th behind Davis followed by Hardy and then Matt.

I like the sound of that potential lineup.

His offense is about the same, The thing is people keep saying he is a great hitter for a catcher. This is not true based on stats. He is middle of the pack but does have more power then most other catchers.

I don't think anyone says he is a great hitter for a catcher. I think most say he is above average, which is generally true. And I think this is usually in response to those who say he is a defense-only catcher, which is simply not true. Defense-only catchers don't hit 20+ HRs every year.

The day before he took a bad route on another pop near the railing.

Off topic, but just as a quick aside, it took Fred Manfra about 30 seconds to describe this play the other night before finally telling us whether or not Wieters caught the ball. I generally am pretty patient with Fred on this, but even I felt like screaming "JUST TELL US IF HE CAUGHT THE BALL ALREADY!"

They just need to get him away from protecting Davis. Teams have started pitching around Davis and I would do that every time also. I like the lineup 1-5 but to me the more natural lineup would be McCloud-Markakis-Jones-Davis-Machado-Hardy-Wieters-DH-Flaherty. Machado has done nothing wrong to be moved but I'd rather have him protecting Davis and I think he'd drive in more runs hitting after Jones and Davis. Right now it seems that if Davis doesn't hit a homerun when he is up, the inning is over because Wieters comes up and does nothing. Davis is the classic #4 hitter and should be there. Jones seems to me to be a natural for the #3 spot and Machado hitting behind those two would be a RBI machine.

I honestly don't understand why switch-hitters who consistently struggle from one side of the plate don't just scrap the whole switch-hitting thing. I definitely think that Wieters as a full-time RHB could improve on the .666 OPS he's put up from the left side.

Wieters is batting .227/.276/.390/.666 against right-handers this year which is clearly unsatisfactory, even for a catcher. Saying that, he controls the running game and despite the poor dWAR, he's been solid behind the plate in my opinion though not spectacular. I'm a bit concerned that his numbers against fastballs are dropping. A continual drop in those numbers suggest a drop in bat speed. For a big guy with a slow mans game, that's not a great sign for the future. Right now it's just something to pay attention to, so don't think I'm saying that Wieters is losing bat speed and won't hit better in the future.

Either way, I do agree that he should be a bit lower in the order against right-handers. Buck loves his L-R-L batting order so Wieters should really be batting no higher than 7th against right-handers (4-Jones,5-Davis,6-Hardy,7-Wieters) though I would bat him 8th behind Dickerson when he DHs.

I honestly don't understand why switch-hitters who consistently struggle from one side of the plate don't just scrap the whole switch-hitting thing. I definitely think that Wieters as a full-time RHB could improve on the .666 OPS he's put up from the left side.

Because there is no indication that batting right-handed against right-handed pitching is going to make him better. The reason why players switch-hit is to get a better view of the breaking ball mainly. It's easier to hit a breaking ball coming into you than away from you. If Wieters was hitting .100 against right-handers and looking totally over matched it should be something to consider, but there is no way he's going to change to right hand full time as long as he's battling up there.

You don't understand why a guy who has hit from one side of the plate against a RH or LH pitcher his entire life wouldn't just completely abandon that and take on something new at the highest level of his profession?

Well maybe he would hit .150 batting against right handers right-handed. And he wouldn't be able to hit the slider:)

Geez with all these threads you would think the team was in last place. I am guessing if Davis doesn't heat up soon we will have something needs to be done about chris davis thread.

I don't think anyone says he is a great hitter for a catcher. I think most say he is above average, which is generally true. And I think this is usually in response to those who say he is a defense-only catcher, which is simply not true. Defense-only catchers don't hit 20+ HRs every year.

Mike Bordick said he is the best catcher in the game over the last three years. :scratchchinhmm:

Well maybe he would hit .150 batting against right handers right-handed. And he wouldn't be able to hit the slider:)

Geez with all these threads you would think the team was in last place. I am guessing if Davis doesn't heat up soon we will have something needs to be done about chris davis thread.

Davis will need to be monitored, much like Hardy.

Mike Bordick said he is the best catcher in the game over the last three years. :scratchchinhmm:

8.2 offensive WAR the past 3 seasons. 11.2 overall WAR past 3 seasons. I bet both of those numbers are significantly above average. But keep ****ting on our own players guys. I don't know why you guys even watch the team.

Archived