Something needs to be done about Wieters

Pedro Cerrano

You're right because we're winning and he throws out a lot of base stealers he's immune from having his offense, which is poor, discussed.

The fact is, he bats too high, especially against righties who he absolutely stinks against. Once Betemit comes back I'd like to see him hit 6th behind Davis followed by Hardy and then Matt.

But it is discussed, daily, ad nauseum. Talking about how bad his bat is isn't going to suddenly make him a better hitter. Accept him for what he is. He'll pick it up a little eventually. Probably bat .260 with 25HR's, 80RBI's, and be the far and away the best catcher in the division. He's not Buster Posey, and we should all just get over it.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8.2 offensive WAR the past 3 seasons. 11.2 overall WAR past 3 seasons. I bet both of those numbers are significantly above average. But keep ****ting on our own players guys. I don't know why you guys even watch the team.

I was making a joke. I think the O's should sign Wieters to a contract good for both sides. You can;t even say something about a player on the Orioles?

But it is discussed, daily, ad nauseum. Talking about how bad his bat is isn't going to suddenly make him a better hitter. Accept him for what he is. He'll pick it up a little eventually. Probably bat .260 with 25HR's, 80RBI's, and be the far and away the best catcher in the division. He's not Buster Posey, and we should all just get over it.

Agreed. He is what he is. As I said in another thread,he is hitting about the same with more RBI's this year then last. I don't expect him to be any better then he is right now.

It does seem that a lot of people are under the impression that O's are immune to criticism here (I see this posted often). If you simply look at the front-page of the Orioles Talk board you will see threads titled:

"Adam Jones, Free Swinger"

"If Machado does not adjust to sliders from righties"

"Adam Jones' Hitting Approach..."

"Adam Jones- Where are the homeruns?"

and the thread that we're literally in called "Something needs to be done about Wieters"

I was making a joke. I think the O's should sign Wieters to a contract good for both sides. You can;t even say something about a player on the Orioles?

You can say something about a player from the Orioles but to call him an average hitting catcher is comial. And "Something needs to be done" is also comical. He is hitting sixth in the order. When they had Hardy sixth other teams were just walking Davis. With Wieters there they pitch to Davis. Wieters is our catcher. I don't see much chance of improving that position on our team.

Be very careful my friend. Criticizing Matt Wieters on this board is not looked upon too kindly. I've never seen a baseball community worship such a mediocre player. This town is crazy about Matt Wieters, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I'd trade Wieters for just about anyone right now. I'd rather have Flaherty up at the plate in a critical situation than Wieters. And if his offense is not pathetic enough, it's now impacting his defense. He has lost two pop-ups in just the past week alone. No, I don't think it's fair to expect Wieters to hit .350, even though that's what we were told to expect. Is it too much to ask him to be able to hit .250? I think Wieters is an albatross around the neck of this team. His ineptitude is bringing down the good energy on this club. I hope he turns out to have a great season. I want to be wrong about Wieters, but he keeps giving me reasons to want him off this team.

Be very careful my friend. Criticizing Matt Wieters on this board is not looked upon too kindly. I've never seen a baseball community worship such a mediocre player. This town is crazy about Matt Wieters, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I'd trade Wieters for just about anyone right now. I'd rather have Flaherty up at the plate in a critical situation than Wieters. And if his offense is not pathetic enough, it's now impacting his defense. He has lost two pop-ups in just the past week alone. No, I don't think it's fair to expect Wieters to hit .350, even though that's what we were told to expect. Is it too much to ask him to be able to hit .250? I think Wieters is an albatross around the neck of this team. His ineptitude is bringing down the good energy on this club. I hope he turns out to have a great season. I want to be wrong about Wieters, but he keeps giving me reasons to want him off this team.

Please name the catchers you'd rather have over Matt Wieters. If you get past 7 I'll be really impressed.

I've already accepted the fact that Wieters is going to be an average hitter but his defense is well above average. Take the good with the bad, I guess. There is only 4 or 5 catchers I'd take over Wieters. Posey, Mauer, Santana and Molina. So having the 5th or 6th best catcher is fine by me. I don't think he deserves a monster pay day but I hope we are able to find a common ground and keep him around.

You can criticize all you want, but be prepared to defend your position with facts and actual evidence. The reason people get so up in arms about the Wieters criticism is that it's like this paragraph - over-the-top, hyperbolic, and emotion-based. When you say a guy who's clearly in the top 1/3rd of MLB catchers is an albatross, people won't take you seriously. When you take a guy who's had multiple years with 3, 4, 5 WAR values and say you'd rather have a guy like Flaherty with a .550 career OPS batting instead of him, people will assume you don't know what you're talking about. When you want to dump a guy who totally shuts down the running game while providing decent offense, well, it appears to an outside observer that you don't put appropriate value on various MLB skills.

Are we to assume your list is "all of them"?

No, the fan boys on this site just amuse me. I knew KNEW I'd get attacked once I started this thread. All I want to do is move him down in the order, especially against right handed pitchers, and now suddenly I have to go off and name a bunch of catchers I'd rather have and if I can get to seven I win? Awesome.

Not that it matters, but here are the catchers I'd definitely take over Wieters for the rest of the season:

-Buster Posey

-Yadier Molina

-Joe Mauer

-Carlos Santana

-Brian McCann

and here are two that I'd consider:

-Wilin Rosario

-Salvador Perez

No, the fan boys on this site just amuse me. I knew KNEW I'd get attacked once I started this thread. All I want to do is move him down in the order, especially against right handed pitchers, and now suddenly I have to go off and name a bunch of catchers I'd rather have and if I can get to seven I win? Awesome.

Not that it matters, but here are the catchers I'd definitely take over Wieters for the rest of the season:

-Buster Posey

-Yadier Molina

-Joe Mauer

-Carlos Santana

-Brian McCann

and here are two that I'd consider:

-Wilin Rosario

-Salvador Perez

Pretty sure the name 7 comment was in response to the guy who said:

This town is crazy about Matt Wieters, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I'd trade Wieters for just about anyone right now. I'd rather have Flaherty up at the plate in a critical situation than Wieters. And if his offense is not pathetic enough, it's now impacting his defense.

Also, Wieters has been better than both Rosario and Perez the past two seasons. Additionally, Perez's offensive slash line is even worse than Wieters's this year, so I'm not sure how that would be an improvement. I just don't understand the "anybody else" calls, as if somehow that would help.

Archived