Something needs to be done about Wieters

Pedro Cerrano

HOLY GOD, of course I'm comparing him to people other than catchers. I'm comparing him to the 8 other people in the O's lineup.

You are saying him trade him after the season. Like there is some magical catcher out there that could be had that would be better than Wieters. I think it is obvious Matt is a better hitter than our DH or our second baseman. He has been better than Hardy a lot of the season. If we are facing a left hander Wieters is better than our left fielder hitting as well. You aren't using logic at all in your discussion in this thread.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are saying him trade him after the season. Like there is some magical catcher out there that could be had that would be better than Wieters. I think it is obvious Matt is a better hitter than our DH or our second baseman. He has been better than Hardy a lot of the season. If we are facing a left hander Wieters is better than our left fielder hitting as well. You aren't using logic at all in your discussion in this thread.

No, he hasn't been better than Hardy. Sorry. And he won't be better than Betemit against RHP once he comes back. Sorry.

And yes, I would trade him because I think the value we could potentially get back in a trade outweighs the need to pay him whatever Boras may want. 5/58 is fair, especially because it buys out two arb years.

But again, moving him down in the order, or some other solution. That's the point of the thread.

Additionally, Perez's offensive slash line is even worse than Wieters's this year, so I'm not sure how that would be an improvement. I just don't understand the "anybody else" calls, as if somehow that would help.

No, it's not.

-Perez: 768 OPS/110 OPS+

-Wieters: 717 OPS/92 OPS+

Based on 150 PA's, Wieters is 19th in offense for catchers this year by wRC+.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=150&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=18,d

Be very careful my friend. Criticizing Matt Wieters on this board is not looked upon too kindly. I've never seen a baseball community worship such a mediocre player. This town is crazy about Matt Wieters, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I'd trade Wieters for just about anyone right now. I'd rather have Flaherty up at the plate in a critical situation than Wieters. And if his offense is not pathetic enough, it's now impacting his defense. He has lost two pop-ups in just the past week alone. No, I don't think it's fair to expect Wieters to hit .350, even though that's what we were told to expect. Is it too much to ask him to be able to hit .250? I think Wieters is an albatross around the neck of this team. His ineptitude is bringing down the good energy on this club. I hope he turns out to have a great season. I want to be wrong about Wieters, but he keeps giving me reasons to want him off this team.
There's valid criticism and there's hyperbolic baloney. Wieters is a league average hitter and a better than average hitting C and no matter how many pop ups he loses in the lights he is still one of the best defensive C in baseball. Those are facts.

No, the fan boys on this site just amuse me. I knew KNEW I'd get attacked once I started this thread.

You start a thread about Wieters lack of hitting from the left side 30 minutes after a game he went 0-1 from the left side. Seems pretty emotional to me and judging by your responses to this thread that would be par for the course.

No, it's not.

-Perez: 768 OPS/110 OPS+

-Wieters: 717 OPS/92 OPS+

Based on 150 PA's, Wieters is 19th in offense for catchers this year by wRC+.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=150&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=18,d

Apologies, I meant to say Rosario:

.246/.279/.431/.710/80 OPS+

I stated in another thread I'd offer him 5/55-58 right now take it or leave it. If he says no and wants to play hard-ball I look to move him this offseason.

This is the real debate. Matt Wieters is a good player and an asset to the Orioles. Pretty much everyone agrees with that. The debate is whether or not he is an essential player. How much should he be paid?

I'd much, much prefer to have Wieters remain with the team, but his extension should not be that significant. 5/60 is my absolute max. If he doesn't want to take that, and I suspect he won't, then the Orioles have to let him walk.

Do you believe Wieters should be moved down in the order against RHP, particularly when Betemit returns?

I don't think it makes a hill of beans difference either way. It wouldn't hurt, but it probably wouldn't generate an additional 2 runs over the rest of the year. Batting order is never as important as who's in the lineup. The difference between a totally nonsensical lineup and an optimized lineup isn't a fifth of a run a game so shifting one guy down a couple spots is barely measurable.

No, he hasn't been better than Hardy. Sorry. And he won't be better than Betemit against RHP once he comes back. Sorry.

And yes, I would trade him because I think the value we could potentially get back in a trade outweighs the need to pay him whatever Boras may want. 5/58 is fair, especially because it buys out two arb years.

But again, moving him down in the order, or some other solution. That's the point of the thread.

No doubt you make a reasonable extension offer, 5/60 M seems ballpark to me and if he isn't interested you have to trade him. That's baseball. And if we do, you'll be surprised how much we get back in return.

I started a thread against someone who apparently on this site is completely immune from ANY criticism.

Just not sure why you'd think this. Wieters is certainly criticized here at times, both fairly and unfairly.

There are some on the extremes of both ends, just like in every other discussion we have.

We should take him out back, and make him eat worms!

Take him out back and shoot him.

Anybody Baltimore Orioles player that doesn't live up precisely to the standards that were expected of him when his career began has no place in our society.

I'm befuddled by the ongoing animosity towards Matt Wieter's by some people posting here. Is it because much more was expected and he has yet to live up to the "Jesus Christ Superstar" hype? If so, that's a false argument because it was placed upon him largely by overzealous sportswriters who had been writing stories about a losing team for too many years, and fans desperate for a savior.

Some forget that Wieters just turned 27 last month and is already a two-time All Star, albeit mostly because of his defensive prowess. But, it can't be denied that he has shown overall improvement offensively over the last four years, and is entering the prime of his career.

At this point, and on this team, Wieter's key responsibility is largely defensive, and he is doing that again at an All Star level. Offensively his job is to knock in runs, not have a high BA or OBP, and so far he is on track for 24+ HR's and 90+ RBI's.

Why is anyone complaining?

I'm befuddled by the ongoing animosity towards Matt Wieter's by some people posting here. Is it because much more was expected and he has yet to live up to the "Jesus Christ Superstar" hype? If so, that's a false argument because it was placed upon him largely by overzealous sportswriters who had been writing stories about a losing team for too many years, and fans desperate for a savior.

Some forget that Wieters just turned 27 last month and is already a two-time All Star, albeit mostly because of his defensive prowess. But, it can't be denied that he has shown overall improvement offensively over the last four years, and is entering the prime of his career.

At this point, and on this team, Wieter's key responsibility is largely defensive, and he isn't doing that again at an All Star level. Offensively his job is to knock in runs, not have a high BA or OBP, and so far he is on track for 24+ HR's and 90+ RBI's.

Why is anyone complaining?

Huh?

/letters

Take him out back and shoot him.

Anybody Baltimore Orioles player that doesn't live up precisely to the standards that were expected of him when his career began has no place in our society.

I'm shocked SHOCKED that this was your contribution to the thread.

Archived