Strop needs to go.

NewMarketSean

Sadly he is. Tillman is throwing better but Hammel is our de facto ACE.

It's just semantics I guess, but Hammel isn't our ace in any way. De facto, de jure, literally, figuratively - he's been bad all year. If you only use wins as the criteria for determinig a de facto ace, then I guess that's only way Hammel is our "ace". But I don't see why it's sad that Tillman's technically (and hence de facto) our ace right now. His numbers aren't eye-popping, but he leads the team in quality starts, he has the best strikeout rate, and most importantly, he gives us the best chance to win. And as a prospect, he was considered a future #2 or potential ace. So why should it be "sad" that Tillman's our ace right now, and he's delivered on some of that promise he flashed when we first acquired him?

Hopefully Chen can come back and challenge Tillman as our best pitcher, and hopefully Hammel improves a little. But right now, we have to come to terms with the likelihood Hammel got lucky last season, and we have to hope Hammel can be a solid #5 or #4, with some upside for a #3 if he can replicate some of last year's results.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a poll should be taken on the Os chances of making it to the playoffs while still having Strop as a setup man/"thrower" - no not pitcher cause that's what he's not.

Also, I like Buck, he received a lot of people's scorn today, but hey he's the best manager this club has had in almost 2 decades! That being said, and if his #1 job is to win, than why on earth did he put Strop into a high pressure scenario? Odds are that the wheels would fall off, and YES they did - again.

We are competing in the AL East, the Yanks, the RSox would never have put the likes of an individual like Strop in that situation I don't believe. They are there to win by hook or by crook. Seems like we are trying to build a case why Strop should be DFA'd - the case continues without a verdict; all the while we are giving away games!

I hope this sinks in to the head of anyone who reads this, but this game we just served up today on a silver platter to the Angels could very well be the one win we would need to earn us a wildcard spot in the playoffs...

I think a poll should be taken on the Os chances of making it to the playoffs while still having Strop as a setup man/"thrower" - no not pitcher cause that's what he's not.

Also, I like Buck, he received a lot of people's scorn today, but hey he's the best manager this club has had in almost 2 decades! That being said, and if his #1 job is to win, than why on earth did he put Strop into a high pressure scenario? Odds are that the wheels would fall off, and YES they did - again.

We are competing in the AL East, the Yanks, the RSox would never have put the likes of an individual like Strop in that situation I don't believe. They are there to win by hook or by crook. Seems like we are trying to build a case why Strop should be DFA'd - the case continues without a verdict; all the while we are giving away games!

I hope this sinks in to the head of anyone who reads this, but this game we just served up today on a silver platter to the Angels could very well be the one win we would need to earn us a wildcard spot in the playoffs...

The season is more than one game. We have only 2 reliable relievers right now. Hunter and O'day. You can't just pitch the same 2 guys every night. You will wear them out. I have no problem with Strop pitching tonight. He either needs to be able to pitch or be off the team. You can't have a team full of guys you don't pitch. The real question is why didn't they keep Strop on a long rehab assignment? The same question I have about Teagarden. Teagarden didn't get a single hit at triple A why not just keep him there longer. He isn't an improvement over what we had up here anyway.

The season is more than one game. We have only 2 reliable relievers right now. Hunter and O'day. You can't just pitch the same 2 guys every night. You will wear them out. I have no problem with Strop pitching tonight. He either needs to be able to pitch or be off the team. You can't have a team full of guys you don't pitch. The real question is why didn't they keep Strop on a long rehab assignment? The same question I have about Teagarden. Teagarden didn't get a single hit at triple A why not just keep him there longer. He isn't an improvement over what we had up here anyway.

I see your point, but one game at a time and this is one game we should have won. Someone else on here stated it point blank that if we are thinking about going to the playoffs this is the sort of game we have to win. I agree with that statement 100%

If we flat let Strop go , it will be a big mistake . The guy can be a top of the end set up guy with a power arm , when once again he is right. Watch we let him go and he willgo to the Bosox or Yanks and be the replacement for Mo' , and we will be sitting here cryng looking dumb.

If we flat let Strop go , it will be a big mistake . The guy can be a top of the end set up guy with a power arm , when once again he is right. Watch we let him go and he willgo to the Bosox or Yanks and be the replacement for Mo' , and we will be sitting here cryng looking dumb.

Jones, Markakis, Machado, and Weiters all have power arms too - I would be more than happy to see them pitch in place of Strop. Not to mention CD pitching... (I know this sounds like a joke, but I have more confidence in their abilities on the mound as opposed to Strop) I think most would agree that Strop's days should be done in Charm City and if/when someone else picks him up - oh well.

I do wonder since the injury Pedro had was a "questionable" one if there wasn't some sort of a hand shake type agreement that as soon as he was eligible to come off the DL he would. I have no way of knowing that but you would of thought that for the team's sake it would of made sense to work in the minors longer.

I wonder in general if agents don't play a role in situations like this either. Player agrees to go to DL knowing that it will not be for an extended time.

There have been tons of guys with nasty stuff that never made it. Nobody is going to think the O's foolish if they part ways. If he magically finds it for another team, good for him. He seems like a nice kid.

I've held this mentality for awhile until now. The problem is, in order for him to figure it out, he needs minor league confidence-building innings but because he's out of options, he can't get that with us and I just don't think he will be able to figure it out in the bigs.

I'm very worried he will get his mind back together and dominate once more, but that opportunity cost is less than the losses we are accumulating because of him.

Armando Benitez and Jorge Julio say hi. :new_wave:

That is just so silly. It is only mid June. How can you decide that today's loss

could be the one game that keeps the O's out of the playoffs? There is a whole

lot of ball to play. IMO

That is just so silly. It is only mid June. How can you decide that today's loss

could be the one game that keeps the O's out of the playoffs? There is a whole

lot of ball to play. IMO

Great storms announce themselves with a simple breeze - and this is a well documented disaster. Yes, it's mid June, but let's cut out the cancer before it progresses into something more virulent. Hope is the denial of reality

Archived