Fred Manfra Doesn't Agree With Booing Strop

sfosfan

But ask yourself the obvious question, HOW can you tell? :scratchchinhmm: Seriously, is there really a difference because someone is visibly upset after turning a 4-2 lead into a 8-4 deficit versus someone who doesn't appear to care? Does it really make you feel better to know you withheld your booing for the guy who really wasn't trying? This isn't Alice in Wonderland, or as Buck likes to say, there's no Cinderella in a 162 game season. You are here because you EARNED it. That's a two way street. If you don't like booing, go back to little leaugue- goes for fans and players alike. Now beer thowing, cursing, comments about his mother, etc, that's a different story- and perahps another thread. :D

After reading that, I think we mostly agree. I think a really bad performance could be misinterpreted as a lack of effort. For me, it's not about feeling better about myself for knowing the difference. It's about decency to a fellow human being. I don't even boo Yankees players. It's a personal thing. I don't want to harshly judge fans who choose to boo. I apologize if I did that. They certainly have the freedom to boo.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But ask yourself the obvious question, HOW can you tell? :scratchchinhmm: Seriously, is there really a difference because someone is visibly upset after turning a 4-2 lead into a 8-4 deficit versus someone who doesn't appear to care?

There are very few times when it is obvious. This is why I almost NEVER boo my own team. The clearest example is the guy who hits the routine grounder and barely leaves the batters box.

But ask yourself the obvious question, HOW can you tell? :scratchchinhmm: Seriously, is there really a difference because someone is visibly upset after turning a 4-2 lead into a 8-4 deficit versus someone who doesn't appear to care? Does it really make you feel better to know you withheld your booing for the guy who really wasn't trying? This isn't Alice in Wonderland, or as Buck likes to say, there's no Cinderella in a 162 game season. You are here because you EARNED it. That's a two way street. If you don't like booing, go back to little leaugue- goes for fans and players alike. Now beer thowing, cursing, comments about his mother, etc, that's a different story- and perahps another thread. :D

Why would a pitcher not want to get outs? You can tell at times. When a player half asses it down the line on a groundball. When an outfielder doesn't hustle after a ball. By all accounts Strop is a hard worker and cares. This isn't a Sidney Ponson situation when a guy dogs it and is out of shape.

People pay their money to go to the games, they can boo if they want. I have booed before but it was when the team was going thru the motions. I just think booing a hometown player like today accomplishes nothing. Fans have every right to do it, I just don't think it helps at all.

I wouldnt boo one of our own unless he was mailing it in. I remember booing BRob at the end of seasons when we were 25 games back and he halfed it down the line. I called AJ out on twitter for doing that about 3 years ago and I dont know if he read it or not, but he doesnt really dog it any more.

This is pretty much how I feel. I agree about both players as well.

So-called O's fans booing Orioles that are giving their best effort--have never understood it, never done it myself, and don't think I ever will. (Players that are obviously dogging it are another matter, of course.) When we boo an opposing team's player, we hope it bothers or distracts him. Why would we want to unnerve a player on the Orioles? Is that going to improve his performance? Did he somehow not already know he has to do better?

As for what the price of a ticket buys, I had never thought that it bought me freedom from rules of loyalty, consideration, and sympathy.

After reading that, I think we mostly agree. I think a really bad performance could be misinterpreted as a lack of effort. For me, it's not about feeling better about myself for knowing the difference. It's about decency to a fellow human being. I don't even boo Yankees players. It's a personal thing. I don't want to harshly judge fans who choose to boo. I apologize if I did that. They certainly have the freedom to boo.

Yeah, I get that part. I see it like being a Best Man- you can toast him at the wedding but you get to roast him at the bachelor party. There's a difference and it's good to know when you're at each.

Yeah, I get that part. I see it like being a Best Man- you can toast him at the wedding but you get to roast him at the bachelor party. There's a difference and it's good to know when you're at each.

Kidding or parodying someone at a roast or bachelor party is very different from angrily booing a player you don't even know. I guess as public performers they just have to develop a thick skin.

Archived