Fred Manfra Doesn't Agree With Booing Strop

sfosfan

While its unfortunate to be in a situation where booing occurs, its okay to be booing. If you are choosing to support the team enough to buy a ticket for any game, that is not the only way as a fan for your voice to be heard.

IMO, what would be unfortunate would be to boo Strop warming up in the bullpen for his next outing. I don't expect this to happen and I would be surprised/disappointed if it does. That kind of reaction would even be somewhat justified given his overall body of work this season, but that kind of reaction is still for other team's fans. Strop, like all our guys, just needs to find ways to contribute (in a positive way) much like how Flaherty has done with his glove.

Here is another thought I literally JUST had guys! If Strop crumbles after being booed, how can we expect him to respond to hostile playoff environments on the road?

Here's another (I am on fire).......If only he lets that grounder by.......

BEAT THOSE SOX

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB is a little boy's game played by grown-a$$ men in exchange for potentially millions of $$$. That said, if Strop or anyone gets their feelings hurt by booing - to the point where it affects their performance, then they probably need to find another job.

I have a job where I don't get booed. However, I don't make millions, I'm not having fun, I don't have an off-season, I get fussed at from time to time and if my performance dips below a certain level for a sustained period, I'll get fired and definitely will not get paid for the rest of the year. Personally, I'd rather get booed.

BOOOO. :cool:

Jim Johnson apparently has the mental toughness to overcome some real bad outings.

Does Strop?

Gausman sounds like he does have the outlook to perform well, but can he pitch more like he did against Detroit?

It would sure help for us to use Strop again in this series assuming he can go unscathed. That is probably the best medicine for him. But this all assumes he can put the past behind him and be reincarnated right now.

If a player is bad he deserves to get booed. No matter what team he is on. It's really that simple. This isn't little league. If his feeling are "getting hurt" at this level he shouldn't be playing.

Players still get their money so he probably doesn't care anyway.

in my opinion of course.

If a player is bad he deserves to get benched. No matter what team he is on. It's really that simple. This isn't little league. If his feeling are "getting hurt" at this level he shouldn't be playing.

Players still get their money so he probably doesn't care anyway.

Do you notice a difference? You bought your ticket so sure you have a right, but there is a reason St. Louis is considered a first rate baseball town and Philly is not.

Of course that is just another opinion...dosen't make it better than yours.

I don't believe in booing our own players unless they show absolutely no effort and exhibit total unprofessional behavior on the field of play only. Like spitting on an Ump or another player as an example. I wonder what all the other Orioles players think about their teammate being booed? I mean its a brotherhood in a sense and they look out for one and another and protect each other from Buck, DD and all the way throughout the whole organization on down.

I think that booing reflects more of a negative on our Team as a whole than just one of the actual players being booed. I submit that we ask ourselves this question "Wouldn't profound booing a player who's obviously trying hard to do right make the other players who witnessed this behavior have a attitude against our fans for turning on their brother?" I would think absolutely yes! I remember Adam Jones making some strong comments last year on Air about the fans turning against a player/team (booing) but who is giving his/their all and trying hard to do better. Adam was flat out PO'd to say the least!

How would we feel if we could imagine all Pedro's teammates joining in on the booing when he's trying so hard but failing miserably? This booing could have an major negative impact on the overall attitude, effort and gamesmanship of the entire Team. I know this is their job and they will be the Pro's they are and put on their games faces but still. Like Ray Lewis said last year Pro Sports teams are like a secret brotherhood society and they always have each others backs.

We as fans need to understand this and be more like the integral part of the Team by being supportive, encouraging and understanding. Sportsmanship is important in sports still even today. I think we would endear the players to our city creating a more positive impact and be the model for all the MLB Teams and then the best players would want to come and play for "Our Team" For the most part Baltimore has done this o'er the years but we need to understand our part in the "Big picture" when it comes to Team.

We can intellectualize the topic of booing as much as we want. Conceptually, I think booing your own team is counter-productive. In practice...sorry, I was there yesterday and I booed my fool head off. I booed because everyone in the stands knew Strop was going to blow the game, but Buck brought him in anyways. Then, I booed because Strop melted down to a degree even greater than expected. Finally, and perhaps the biggest reason, I booed because I was frustrated.

I'm feeling pretty short because there are a lot of high horses in this thread.

Hey Pedro. Do you know how stupid you look with your crooked hat? Cool if you're good. Dorkish if you're bad. What a clown. Can't throw strikes and he's in the Big Leagues. Join that long line of control challenged pitchers Pete. We pay hard-earned money to watch you and you can't throw a pitch where you want it? Yeah, you should be booed. It's called entertainment and I'm not getting my money's worth. You're lucky we don't throw tomatoes too.

IMO, what would be unfortunate would be to boo Strop warming up in the bullpen for his next outing. I don't expect this to happen and I would be surprised/disappointed if it does. That kind of reaction would even be somewhat justified given his overall body of work this season, but that kind of reaction is still for other team's fans. Strop, like all our guys, just needs to find ways to contribute (in a positive way) much like how Flaherty has done with his glove.

I wish I could remember who it was--maybe one of the radio guys--but commented after Johnson's first save after his 4-blown save streak about how great it was the the crowd still got up and cheered him as he entered the game.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-06-13/sports/bs-sp-orioles-notes-0614-20130613_1_outfielder-nolan-reimold-orioles-reliever-pedro-strop-orioles-manager-buck-showalter

While most players don't acknowledge being affected when they're the target of fan angst, Orioles reliever Pedro Strop admitted Thursday that he was bothered by the loud chorus of boos he received as he walked off the mound during Wednesday's 9-5 loss to the Los Angeles Angels.

I booed Mike Gonzalez at our home opening day a couple years back after he blew 2 games in Tampa.

I have no issue letting them hear it. When they're successful, it'll be that much more rewarding. Or, if they can't take it...then they have no business belonging on the team. You've gotta have some thick skin playing in the majors (and especially the AL EAST).

Archived