Will the reporters press Buck on bringing in Strop?

waroriole

Will the reporters press Buck on Strop?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the reporters press Buck on Strop?

"Why didn't you use O'Day instead of Strop in the 7th?"

Easy, straight forward question to ask. Hope someone does.

O'Day was going to close because JJ was unavailable. Then we'll hear silence. The question that should be asked afterwards is "Why not bring in O'Day for that spot, since it was the highest leverage situation. Or bring in Hunter?"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"What were your thoughts on bringing in Strop for such a pivotal point of the game in just his 2nd appearance since coming off the DL?"
In case you missed it, we have an important 4 game series with BOS coming up, and we are sending two squirrely SP up against them. We are really going to need our pen then. It makes no sense to burn O'Day and Hunter so they are not available tomorrow.

No, nor should they. If they did they just might get an answer that would reveal just how stupid and lame they are. They wouldn't risk that. Any body here really want step up to Buck and ask what they think is a tough baseball question. I think not.

This.

In my experience, a question in a presser that seems to question Buck's planning or intelligence would be met with a response that embarrasses the person asking the question. See Billick, Brian. This is something you might ask Buck in a background or off the record situation, not a taped postgame affair. He would probably give you good reasons in that environment. But if you try to ding him publicly, it's going to backfire.

In case you missed it, we have an important 4 game series with BOS coming up, and we are sending two squirrely SP up against them. We are really going to need our pen then. It makes no sense to burn O'Day and Hunter so they are not available tomorrow.

You play to win today. Tomorrow isn't more important than today.

The Orioles already have one pitcher who can not be used in tight situations in McFarland. They can't possibly have two that only pitch in blowouts. Thus, the question should be whether Strop should be on the team......not whether Buck should have brought him in.

A win is a win. Easier to win a game in the 7th when youre already up by two.

Good thing Strop came in to get that all important ONE out and save the bullpen for Boston.

I don't think there's a manger in baseball who would agree with you.

So, you're in a winnable game 4-2. And you put in someone who was mysteriously on the DL (truth be told he just was ineffective).....all because you don't want to use Patton, McFarland, O'Day, Hunter, Johnson, or Matusz? And then...when he stinks up the joint, you bring in Patton and then Matusz anyway?

No, I don't think it's because he was worried about the upcoming games. He can always call up someone else. He did it because he wants to instill confidence in guys, but it's a bad move when it's a winnable game.

No, nor should they. If they did they just might get an answer that would reveal just how stupid and lame they are. They wouldn't risk that. Any body here really want step up to Buck and ask what they think is a tough baseball question. I think not.

Sure. Why should I be scared of Buck? Worst he can do is make me look stupid and I have certainly had worse things done to me.

This game was lost last evening, when Miguel Gonzalez should have been allowed to close out the game, leaving the bullpen in its normal rotation for today.

THIS.... and Buck should be asked about that too.

Yet we keep hearing how this game was lost yesterday when they didn't send out MG for the final inning.

I don't even buy that argument. This bullpen has 3 studs: Hunter, O'Day, Johnson, 2 average guys: Matusz, McFarland, and 2 struggling guys: Patton and Strop.

Common sense would dictate that you don't put Strop or Patton in a close game. 6 IP from your starter. 3 innings left.

The Orioles already have one pitcher who can not be used in tight situations in McFarland. They can't possibly have two that only pitch in blowouts. Thus' date=' the question should be whether Strop should be on the team......not whether Buck should have brought him in.[/quote']

Exactly this. JJ was not available. Buck was saving O'Day for the 9th, Tommy and Matusz for the 8th. There is nobody left but Strop, TJ, and Patton. Next guys up were a S (Aybar) and R (Trout). You bring in Strop (who pitched great in his last appearance) and hope for the best. Otherwise you pitch O'Day in the 7th and possibly have Strop or TJ closing the game? As long as Pedro is on the team, he needs to be able to pitch, and sometimes that is going to be in close games. Not a bad decision by Buck, just poor execution (again) by Pedro.

Should Pedro be on the team? That is a legitimate question, but for Duquette, not Buck.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>So far this season, Strop has let 5 of 11 inherited runners score. He's got 2 today to deal with <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23orioles">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">June 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That was of course before he let the two score today.

Archived