Will the reporters press Buck on bringing in Strop?

waroriole

Will the reporters press Buck on Strop?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the reporters press Buck on Strop?

Or you let Strop come in without runners on in the 9th.

Better to let him try for the "save" then to bring him in with a 2 on 0 outs situation.

Bingo.

This is actually more heinous (but similar) to bringing in Ayala last year with runners on. He's a different pitcher. Let Strop create his own mess if you're going down this road.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're asking him some pretty direct questions about it. Pleasantly surprised.

Buck says there were 2-3 guys he wasn't going to use today.

Ha, the people who voted yes win. I was one of the two versus the other 29 :)

With Conger coming up, he should have brought in Matusz. Let Matusz face Conger and then Aybar. If it gets to Trout, then you bring in Hunter.

I'm not that worried about one game...but I am worried about having Strop pitch in any close one.

I didn't see the interview. Did they "press" or simply ask? We knew they had to ask.

There were at least 4 questions in a row about it. Including Strops history of letting inherited runners score this year.

Buck acknowledged that Strop was a popular topic during this press conference, and he said rightfully so.

You play to win today. Tomorrow isn't more important than today.
He's probably saving McFarland for long relief. That said if O'Day is saved for the 9th, I think at that point you need to go with the pecking order. That leaves Matusz, Patton, and Strop. Patton is certainly a multiple inning guy...and while he's struggled he doesn't really completely melt down a la Strop. You go Patton for at least an inning..he can certainly go 2 if need be.

This is it. Strop would have been last choice. Conger and Aybar are both switch hitters who are much worse from the right side. Why not being in Patton there, who's better to RHB and you turn both those guys around?

This was Buck trying to build Strop's confidence. He should be used as a mop up guy, if at all. You can still manage the pen without using THE most ineffective piece you have in a high leverage situation

Well in Buck's defense if he brought in TJ in at that point and lost the game he would have been second guessed as well and perhaps Patton too. So you have 3 guys that you can't bring in pressure situations in the 7th? I think that is a personal problem more than a Buck problem.

Buck obviously knew that if he brought in Strop in this situation that the game would be lost. Im sure he never felt that Strop could do his job in this situation. Buck must have really wanted to blow this game otherwise he could have brought in somebody else.

Buck obviously knew that if he brought in Strop in this situation that the game would be lost. Im sure he never felt that Strop could do his job in this situation. Buck must have really wanted to blow this game otherwise he could have brought in somebody else.

What? I don't understand at all. The win the game and seems some are upset.

Buck used a guy he shouldn't have or something strange. Maybe it is my age.

Because I don't understand any of this.

There were at least 4 questions in a row about it. Including Strops history of letting inherited runners score this year.

Buck acknowledged that Strop was a popular topic during this press conference, and he said rightfully so.

Good, maybe him acknowledging it means Strop is on his way out. I just don't know why we had to sacrifice a win to get rid of the weak link.

O'Day was going to close because JJ was unavailable. Then we'll hear silence. The question that should be asked afterwards is "Why not bring in O'Day for that spot, since it was the highest leverage situation. Or bring in Hunter?"

How did you know the reliever would come in with 2 on and nobody out? It became a high leverage situation. Somebody was up because of Hammel's pitch count and the heat. You aren't going to get your closer up in the 7th up 2 with the bottom of the order up.

Buck got caught in the middle today. He wanted Hammel to get thru the inning because he didn't want to go to Pedro if he didn't have to. I would of let Pedro start the inning or at the least brought him in to pitch after the first batter reached.

Or you let Strop come in without runners on in the 9th.

Better to let him try for the "save" then to bring him in with a 2 on 0 outs situation.

I don't see how having runners on or not helps. The issue is that Strop is on the team and he currently sucks. If we were up six runs and there was a clean slate in the 9th I would not be confident that Strop would get us the win. If Strop (or anyone else) is on the lineup you have to use him.....you don't have the luxury waiting for the odd occasion when the stars aline and the situation is sufficiently "un-leveraged" enough that you feel comfortable using him

A big reason we lost this game today was this past Sunday. In a game that should of been a blowout we wind up going through Hunter and JJ. It would of been nice had Tillman given us 7 innings but we got 6. Buck used O'Day in the 7th because he needed work. Matusz screwed everything up in the 8th. He let up 3 runs and couldn't get through the inning. Then Buck went to Hunter and then when Tommy couldn't get out of the 9th, JJ finished things up. Had Brian breezed in the 8th Buck could of gone to Strop, Patton or McFarland to start the 9th. Hunter and JJ instead both had to pitch in a game where we had a 7 run lead in the 8th. A lot of times the seeds for a loss are planted several days in advance.

Archived