Will the reporters press Buck on bringing in Strop?

waroriole

Will the reporters press Buck on Strop?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the reporters press Buck on Strop?

Sure!

I would much rather see Stop enter the 9th with no one on then see him enter the game in the 7th with 2 on 0 out.

You notice Buck held off using O'Day until he had too tonight. Probably a reason for that. I would have thought he'd bring him in for the 7th tonight.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to revisit this thread. For those of us who said it was a good/acceptabe decision to bring in Strop, I think the last two games have borne out why. JJ was not available, and Buck did not want to go back to O'Day and Tommy yet again. Turns out they were both crucial in the last two victories. If O'Day pitches instead of Strop, he is probably not available in at least one of the two Boston games.

There is still the question of whether he belongs on the team, but at least the decision to use him in that situation was sound, in my opinion.

With JJ, O'Day, and Hunter each having pitched two days in a row again, things will get very interesting if it is a close game tonight. Do you want to see Strop, TJ, or Arrieta if we have a close game in the middle innings? Probably going to be a combination of those guys.

Just wanted to revisit this thread. For those of us who said it was a good/acceptabe decision to bring in Strop, I think the last two games have borne out why. JJ was not available, and Buck did not want to go back to O'Day and Tommy yet again. Turns out they were both crucial in the last two victories. If O'Day pitches instead of Strop, he is probably not available in at least one of the two Boston games.

There is still the question of whether he belongs on the team, but at least the decision to use him in that situation was sound, in my opinion.

With JJ, O'Day, and Hunter each having pitched two days in a row again, things will get very interesting if it is a close game tonight. Do you want to see Strop, TJ, or Arrieta if we have a close game in the middle innings? Probably going to be a combination of those guys.

I have to disagree. Nothing is different now than if he did not bring Strop in. Strop only got one out and the same bullpen arms were used regardless. Also, it's fine to have to pitch Strop occasionally since he is on the roster. It doesn't mean you bring him into the highest leveraged situation of the game. Especially with his stats on inherited runners.

I have to disagree. Nothing is different now than if he did not bring Strop in. Strop only got one out and the same bullpen arms were used regardless. Also, it's fine to have to pitch Strop occasionally since he is on the roster. It doesn't mean you bring him into the highest leveraged situation of the game. Especially with his stats on inherited runners.

How do you figure? O'Day and Hunter weren't used Wednesday, that had an impact the last two games.

So, you think bringing in Matusz/Patton/McFarland over Strop against the Angels RHB's was a much better choice than Strop? Or is at as simple as the answer being to bring in Hunter/O'Day in all close games?

That the game went extra innings and extra BP arms were used is definitely Monday morning quarterbacking. The bottom line is that a lot of these games are close and you can't hide more than half of your bullpen.

Archived