Trade Jim Johnson to the Tigers

webbrick2010

After this BOS series we very well could be 7.5 games out. Maybe that would change people's thinking a bit. Trading JJ is not such a bad idea IMO. I would be comfortable with O'Day or Hunter or some combination, closing. JJ's contract will be a lot next season, and unless they convert him to SP I think they will look to trade him. At the deadline if we are out of It, or over the winter. DET is not going deep into the playoffs without a closer. I'd offer JJ for Porcello and Rondon. See how desperate they are.

Like a team has never come back from being 7 1/2 games back in the middle of June. Even that doesn't matter anyway because there are two wild card spots. Talk about a losing attitude. Who thinks about trading their closer in a team with a weak bullpen in a situation like the Orioles are in?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like a team has never come back from being 7 1/2 games back in the middle of June. Even that doesn't matter anyway because there are two wild card spots. Talk about a losing attitude. Who thinks about trading their closer in a team with a weak bullpen in a situation like the Orioles are in?
WC? WC? You need to take another look at the standings and imagine the O's at 7.5 back with the current SP.

I'd love Rondon. 22 year old. Last 3 years in the minors:

2010: 0.84 ERA, 9.2 SO/9, 4.5 BB/9

2011: 2.02 ERA, 13.7 SO/9, 7.6 BB/9

2012: 1.53 ERA, 11.2 SO/9, 4.4 BB/9

His H/9 in his career in the minors is superb: 5.8. In AAA only 4.0. HR rate is excellent as well (0.2).

I don't think they'd give him up. But I'd do that in a heartbeat if I was the O's. :)

His H/9 in his career in the minors is superb: 5.8. In AAA only 4.0. HR rate is excellent as well (0.2).

I don't think they'd give him up. But I'd do that in a heartbeat if I was the O's. :)

Their owner wants to win now(unlike ours, even though they are the same age) and JJ would look great at the back of their pen. Procello is some one they could replace and we could use him. Rondon makes up for the loss of JJ, and could even take over the role down the road. If it's a good trade it hurts both sides a little.

I think you need to look past the stats with Rondon.

How much do you actually know about him?

.....Bottom Line: The Tigers have nothing that we need or that is immediately ready to help at the big league level.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2013/2614327.html

That's not right. The Tigers have 4 stud starters and could easily trade one to shore up their bullpen. Verlander isn't going anywhere, but if the Tigers offered Sanchez, Fister or Sherzer for JJ I'd do that in a heartbeat. Let Tommy Hunter close in JJ's place.

After this BOS series we very well could be 7.5 games out. Maybe that would change people's thinking a bit. Trading JJ is not such a bad idea IMO. I would be comfortable with O'Day or Hunter or some combination, closing. JJ's contract will be a lot next season, and unless they convert him to SP I think they will look to trade him. At the deadline if we are out of It, or over the winter. DET is not going deep into the playoffs without a closer. I'd offer JJ for Porcello and Rondon. See how desperate they are.

We could very well be .5 games ahead too. :)

The biggest weakness of this team is starting pitching.

How would trading Hammel improve the starting pitching. You have to hope/pray he gets better and even if he doesn't he is still one of the O's top five.

I agee they will look to deal him in the off season

The bullpen has not been a whole lot better so how would trading JJ improve the bullpen?

That's not right. The Tigers have 4 stud starters and could easily trade one to shore up their bullpen. Verlander isn't going anywhere, but if the Tigers offered Sanchez, Fister or Sherzer for JJ I'd do that in a heartbeat. Let Tommy Hunter close in JJ's place.

If I was a tigers fan, I'd be upset if they moved one of those four.

Archived