Kevin Gausman Optioned Per @Orioles Twitter

AJismyhero

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably Rauch for the next few days and then Britton when we need our next start to replace gausman.

It's the right move. His slider is terrible and he can't pitch deep enough into ball games yet to provide value to this team.

He was good tonight but Buck had to pull him early. Matusz put out the fire before starting his own but it's clear we have to have someone who can get deeper into games.

Gausman, with only 2 effective pitches, is not the guy yet.

He got a taste of the bigs.....he knows where he is and we knows what he needs to do to improve. I'm fine with how they used him, giving him a chance and seeing what he had. He showed glimpses but he's far from a finished project and as such, he needs to come to Norfolk and throw slider after slider and not worry about the results but in order to improve that pitch in a real game scenario.

He'll be back and better for it once he's ready. I'm glad they made this move, he needs to work on himself at a lower level, and build that pitch up before he comes back. He'll be fine long term, I'm fairly confident of that.

So is all of this because Flaherty made a bad feed to JJ on that ground ball by Ellsbury in the 7th? :)

And I agree that Britton is the best bet to get Gausman's turn when it comes up again (does it line up, or perhaps that make it line up?). Rauch may be the guy, we'll see...

If Britton does make the next start and pitches well, I imagine he'll keep it until he blows it again.

Starters are not providing length. This is situation compound by the extra innings and ineffective bullpen.

The more I think about it, the more I think he gets called back up in 10 days. Edit: good point below about Miguel Gonzalez paternity leave, meaning Gausman could be called up for next start.

Think the O's had to make this move because Gausman has options and we need bullpen depth after a marathon game tonight. I could see Wada being that guy, kill two birds with one stone by meeting his call up date deadline.

Stinson was the one rained out tonight, but also Miguel Gonzalez is going on paternity leave which means Gausman can come back up when it's his turn with no penalty. He could very well make his next start, and this was just to get an extra arm for the weekend.

The more I think about it, the more I think he gets called back up in 10 days. Think the O's had to make this move because Gausman has options and we need bullpen depth after a marathon game tonight. I could see Wada being that guy, kill two birds with one stone by meeting his call up date deadline.

He can't come back within 10 days unless there's an injury, but Miguel Gonzalez paternity list fits that bill.

Starters are not providing length. This is situation compound by the extra innings and ineffective bullpen.

No doubt the starters need to be going deeper. BUT, I just wonder, if the O's had won this game in regulation would this move still have been made.

Possibly. But I can't be sure. I suspect no.

The more I think about it, the more I think he gets called back up in 10 days. Think the O's had to make this move because Gausman has options and we need bullpen depth after a marathon game tonight. I could see Wada being that guy, kill two birds with one stone by meeting his call up date deadline.

Well Wada would make it easy to have an injury to allow KG to be called right back up.

@masnSteve:

Gausman could return to roster sooner if he replaces a player going on the paternity list and Miguel Gonzalez might be.

Only thing Steve got wrong is this. MiGo WILL be on leave. Sure as death and taxes. :laughlol:

Wada?!

I'm always an optimistic person but I'm not feeling good about that at all.

And yes Gausman is likely back up in his next start.

Doubt he appears in a game. It's probably more for the added benefit for Adair and Buck to see a side session or two. Wada is getting stretched out and back into the pitching grind, but he is FAR away yet! Too many pitches. Too many walks. He AND the org know he's not ready yet.

Archived