Arrieta up to take Gausman's spot

Aglets

I don't get the hand wringing by some on this move. It's the logical move if you ask me. First, the team needs a guy who can go multiple innings in their bullpen after last night's 13-inning (8-relief inning) affair. Two, it's makes the most sense to do bring someone up on the 40-man roster. Three, it's may only be for the weekend depending upon Gonzo' s PL. And lastly, this gives the Orioles a look at Arrieta out of the pen. Honestly, at this point, the Orioles should just convert him into a relief pitcher and see what he does in that role full-time.

I couldn't agree with this more. I don't think many people were that enthused when Matusz came up to be used as a bullpen arm last year and he was one of the key additions to the bullpen. Jake may do exactly like Tommy Hunter has done and just throw bullets for an inning or two and replace what Strop did for much of last year.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I couldn't agree with this more. I don't think many people were that enthused when Matusz came up to be used as a bullpen arm last year and he was one of the key additions to the bullpen. Jake may do exactly like Tommy Hunter has done and just throw bullets for an inning or two and replace what Strop did for much of last year.

Lets not get carried away with the other extreme either. Arrieta hasn't been able to get AAA players out recently. Matusz was at least decent at AAA before coming back. And Arrieta is going to be sent down at some point anyway.

Lets not get carried away with the other extreme either. Arrieta hasn't been able to get AAA players out recently. Matusz was at least decent at AAA before coming back. And Arrieta is going to be sent down at some point anyway.

I am not saying he will end up doing that well but he may just have a different outcome not knowing when he is going to come into a game. He has the stuff that isn't in dispute.

Why is Arrieta a better choice than Stinson? Arrieta has allowed 15 earned runs in his last two starts. Stinson went 6.1 innings and allowed one earned run in his last start.

I don't think either are great options but Stinson appears to have been more effective.

Am I the only one that kinda likes Arrieta? I think he will be better in the bullpen. Hopefully a success like Hunter and Matusz.

Small sample size, but Arrieta didn't exactly thrive in relief last year. He had a 6.75 ERA in 6 games. However, he did have 20 strikeouts in 13.1 IP, which is a good sign.

Why bring up Britton to work the pen? He is were he belongs down in AAA working on getting back to the rotation.

I have no issue with seeing if Jake can do something out of the pen. Much as he is criticized, Jake frequently was good for 1-3 innings. It seemed to me at least that frequently he struggled the second time through the lineup. That screams relief pitcher much as it did for Hunter who had a similar MO. Jake has good enough stuff to warrant an opportunity to be a RP. Nothing to lose. Right now I feel no worse about Jake coming in a game than Strop or Patton.

They need to find someone who can be decentish other than Matusz, O'Day, Hunter or those guys will be burned out 2/3 of the year in. Jake is a gamble but could pay off

You say you haven't been the same since you had your little crash

But you might feel better if they gave you some cash

The more I think about it, Old Billy was right

It's like going to confession every time I hear you speak

You're makin' the most of your losin' streak

Archived