O's really missed out on Wang

LookitsPuck

Pitching a gem against the Rangers right now in Arlington. 99 pitches, 7 IP, 0 ER, 2 BB and 5 SO. 7 hits allowed.

I was really pulling for the O's to pluck him away from the Yankees. He'd be a solid #5 option. And when Chen came back, it would push Garcia out of the rotation and Gausman could stay in the minors.

Hammel, Tillman, Gonzalez, Chen, and Wang

Would really like to hear from DD why they didn't land Chen versus the Blue Jays.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pitching a gem against the Rangers right now in Arlington. 99 pitches, 7 IP, 0 ER, 2 BB and 5 SO. 7 hits allowed.

I was really pulling for the O's to pluck him away from the Yankees. He'd be a solid #5 option. And when Chen came back, it would push Garcia out of the rotation and Gausman could stay in the minors.

Would really like to hear from DD why they didn't land Chen versus the Blue Jays.

I wouldn't call 9 Base Runners in 7 innings a "gem". Nice start, almost as good as the one Garcia had a week ago.

Didn't he give up 5 runs in 5 innings in his debut? No one was clamoring for him after that start.

If Garcia had pitched the way he did vs. the Nationals for the Blue Jays, would we have this same thread asking why we passed on Garcia?

Personally I really wanted him even after that start. I think he was doing well enough in the minors. Maybe the Orioles think he wouldn't give that much more than Garcia and didn't want to lose a roster spot to him?

Didn't he give up 5 runs in 5 innings in his debut? No one was clamoring for him after that start.

If Garcia had pitched the way he did vs. the Nationals for the Blue Jays, would we have this same thread asking why we passed on Garcia?

It's just typical reactionary, one-way "should've, could've, would've" silliness, Crazysilver. It never ceases to amaze me how people like to extrapolate one terrifc pitching or hitting performance as an indication of total future success or postulate that we somehow made a mistake due to it.

It's just typical reactionary, one-way "should've, could've, would've" silliness, Crazysilver. It never ceases to amaze me how people like to extrapolate one terrifc pitching or hitting performance as an indication of total future success or postulate that we somehow made a mistake due to it.

Obviously you're never as good as your best or as bad as your worst. But very solid numbers in the minors this year:

9 starts, 2.33 ERA, 1.155 WHIP, 1.6 BB/9, 8.8 H/9, and only 2 home runs allowed.

His biggest problem is the lack of strikeouts.

One start isn't enough for me to think he's any better than Freddie Garcia. Where are all of the Mark Reynolds threads now that is OPS is down to .750 ? Why didn't we sign Nick Swischer for 4/56 with his .733 OPS and shoulder injury? It's always something or someone.

At the end of the day my guess is that Wang is not going to give you that much more than Garcia already does. Why bother with the roster moves etc especially if your intention is to get someone anyway that is better than either of them.

I realize you are saying you'd like to hear from DD to find out the scoop and not assuming that the DD didn't take a look. I would assume they kicked the tires on Wang. I would also think that if Wang had to choose between the O's and Toronto he would choose the Jays as their starting pitching situation is in even more flux then ours. I would think he has a better chance of sticking with the Jays then with us.

Archived