Will Angelos pay for an arm, or is it business as usual

Miamiorioles

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Garza is the pitcher they should be targeting. He's proven that he can pitch effectively in the AL East and he's just starting to round into shape. He's also actually avaliable and can be had for a fraction of the cost of Cliff Lee.

No. Because that makes too much sense.

Keep in mind the O's payroll is about to jump a ton next year.. Markakis, Davis, Wieters.. gotta pay these guys sooner or later.

I hope payroll does increase of course, but it shouldn't go up that much at all with these three.

Nick's salary stays the same while Davis and Wieters will see raises, but it's a stretch to say it increases a ton.

Nick is playing well this year but by the time is option is up I'm not sure the team should exercise it.

Because of his bat, Davis is the only one I'd look to extend and I'd wait for the conclusion of this year before I do that.

I think we have the internal pitching to get by. Let's think rational here. A TOR starter pitches every 5th day and we are half way through the season. I think with the offense we have, whoever is the 5th starter is at least a .500 pitcher by default. So why would you risk any prospects for a half season rental that will at best yield what maybe 3-5 wins? I think our starters will get better as we go. This team has finished strong the last few years.

O's are still hoping a rotation of Hammel/Tillman/Chen/Gonzalez/Wada rounds into form going into the 2nd half.

Don't know why you are pulling Wada out of the hat like that, but that top four seems decent. Number five is tough for many teams.

Im on the Nolasco/Garza wagon. Either or for a reasonable price would have ne preeeety happy.

That said weve got enough arms right now that (assuming they stay healthy) I really dont think we even NEED an arm.That said Id still support the decision.

I think we have the internal pitching to get by. Let's think rational here. A TOR starter pitches every 5th day and we are half way through the season. I think with the offense we have, whoever is the 5th starter is at least a .500 pitcher by default. So why would you risk any prospects for a half season rental that will at best yield what maybe 3-5 wins? I think our starters will get better as we go. This team has finished strong the last few years.

I agree in principle with your assessment. The current staff has a good chance of keeping the O's in the race. Buck has done a great job in September when he can load the BP with guys like Britton, Arrietta, and others. The problem of course is playoff match-ups. Perhaps two of Tillman, Gonzalez, Chen and Hammel can become more like TOR guys and can match up against guys like Scherzer and Verlander or Buchholz and Lester but that is the question. Seeing true TOR twice in a five or three times in a seven game series might be tough to overcome.

And, for all the throw the money around guys, it has done really well for the Dodgers, Angels and Blue Jays (might yet work for them) hasn't it??

Urrutia, Britton, Rodriguez, Schoop

Not good enough to get Lee. The Phillies could eat a few million dollars of Lee's deal and get at least one top prospect. Carlos Beltran landed Zach Wheeler a couple years ago and even though he wasn't owed a ton of money he was an aging vet. The Phillies are 7.5 games back in the wild card so I do not expect them to pack it in just yet. If they are 12+ games back at the trade deadline than maybe.

Archived