Will Angelos pay for an arm, or is it business as usual

Miamiorioles

I know I'm in the minority, but I think Cliff Lee will be dealt. I'm not say the Orioles will get him, but I'm guessing he gets moved.

The Phillies are looking better, but they will never catch Atlanta, nor will they snag a Wild Card spot.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know I'm in the minority, but I think Cliff Lee will be dealt. I'm not say the Orioles will get him, but I'm guessing he gets moved.

The Phillies are looking better, but they will never catch Atlanta, nor will they snag a Wild Card spot.

I listen to Philly Sports radio just about every day and the fan base is thinking Lee gets traded. Amaro, however, hasn't given any sign that Lee will be dealt that I'm aware of.

Isn't that Betemit

Apparently behind on his rehab and limited in his effectiveness.

Roberts

If Roberts comes back, I bet he starts at 2B, and Flaherty's bat won't play at DH unless the Orioles are positively insane. And I bet Roberts' bat doesn't play at DH either.

, and Reimold in some combination?

Who knows, he's constantly hurt or ineffective anymore.

What's funny is that both Thome and Betemit had a .744 OPS for us last year. I'd kill for that kind of reliable production these days.

What's funny is that both Thome and Betemit had a .744 OPS for us last year. I'd kill for that kind of reliable production these days.

Can't argue with anything you said about the probable results...I do think the O's think they'll get something there.

No kidding about the .744 OPS!

I listen to Philly Sports radio just about every day and the fan base is thinking Lee gets traded. Amaro, however, hasn't given any sign that Lee will be dealt that I'm aware of.

Why would he? He would be foolish to waive the white flag in front of his own fan base on a season where the Phils are still in contention. Teams can still inquire about Lee directly with Amaro, no need for Amaro to broadcast his availability to the whole world this early.

Never capitalize the names yanks or sox.

The Ravens rebuild their defense in one month after winning the world championship. The Orioles don't spend ANY money equivalent to what they make. Thank God for Steve Bisciotti. At least one Baltimore owner that will pay to win.

Bisciotti is a great owner but you're making an apples and oranges comparison.

Football is a salary cap sport with equally shared revenue between all teams that is used for salaries. Steve B doesn't take a dime from his pocket for salaries. Plus, NFL teams are required to spend up to 90-something % of the cap. Lastly, with non guaranteed contracts and salary cap cuts, roster turnover and rebuilding/reloading a team in one NFL off-season is significantly easier than in MLB.

What big money player would you have signed this off season if you were Duquette? It was easy to criticize the O's front office in the spring for the perceived lack of moves but as we sit here at 11 games over .500 with about 90 games to go, what is there to really gripe about?

I disagree. In equivalency to what A's and Rays make, the Orioles actually spend less. mASN money alone should be enough to have a true 1 starter and a quality 2bman.

Regardless of your opinion of Brian Roberts, we already owed him 10 mill for this year so no more money was going to be invested in a 2nd baseman.

We may indeed have the money but where is this mythical #1 SP coming from? There were no legit FA starters and we weren't giving up Bundy to trade for one.

Ummm oooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkk....

if anything we need to improve our pitching... We have had one of the top offenses all year even with a AAAA DH and 2B rotation...

There's about six weeks left to the deadline. Chen will be back in 2-3. Obviously, the O's are going to see what happens with Tillman, Hammel, Gonzales, Britton, Garcia, Gausman, Johnson, Wada, etc. before making any sort of move. If Garza is available, I would definitely explore a trade but hopefully would see some stability in the rotation. I think the difference this year from last is that the offense is much more explosive. I don't see an innings eating pickup like Saunders this season.

Never capitalize the names yanks or sox.

The Ravens rebuild their defense in one month after winning the world championship. The Orioles don't spend ANY money equivalent to what they make. Thank God for Steve Bisciotti. At least one Baltimore owner that will pay to win.

Bisciotti is a great owner, but when do the ravens ever sign a huge free agent? Never, they draft and develop, and that's what the o's need to do. Its not a direct comparison due to the major differences in the sports.

We need to add depth and keep hold of prospects and develop them ourselves, it seems to be the best way for long term success, we're never going to be a money is no object team so i think this is the best way. That's not to say we cant get some better pitching but I'm not convinced someone like Lee is a solution. I'd rather spend that money on keeping some our current team. It wasn't pitching that cost us last year it was the fact unfortunately our bats vanished when it mattered most.

Archived