Weaver Ejected, I mean Buck Ejected

BillySmith

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It didn't and there wasn't so there was no on-field consequence from getting the call right.

You don't know that. The catcher had no pressure to throw the ball cause Davis stopped running cause the ball was called foul. The catcher could have hurried or hit Davis in the back. There is no way of knowing the outcome. You are probably right but there is a chance he would have been safe.

Maybe Davis running hard to 1B puts pressure on the C and he makes a bad throw. You can't just call a play dead and let it continue after one side stops playing.

In you whole life how many errors have you seen on 2-3 putouts after a dropped strike three? I think you need to get the call right when there's a <<<1% chance of the wrong call negatively effecting the game.

In you whole life how many errors have you seen on 2-3 putouts after a dropped strike three? I think you need to get the call right when there's a <<<1% chance of the wrong call negatively effecting the game.

It's a slippery slope when you start calling what probably would happen.

What? Why? They got the call right eventually. Davis would almost certainly have been out anyway. My only beef is that the Jays arguing seemed to be what overturned the call.

Would you always be in favor of "getting the call right" if it means overturning a call after a play is dead? Or do you think the umpires should do some kind of calculus in each situation about the odds of what would have happened if the call had not been ruled dead and adjust accordingly?

This obviously isn't the point. They called the play dead, the Blue Jays argued and then Hernandez changed the call based on the opinion of umps 100 feet away. Just because 9/10 times the catcher makes the play doesn't mean ou suddenly change a dead ball into an out. Imagine Davis has a 3-2 count on him, the pitcher throws a pitch and Hernandez gives Davis time. The Blue Jays then come up with some argument saying that Davis shouldn't have been allowed time. Hernandez then confers and changes his mind about time and gives the pitcher an automatic strike. That be pretty messed up too.

The call was wrong twice. How does that equal getting call right. .

They got the call right when they conferred and said that Davis didn't foul tip it.

I dont think that call is overturnable. The ball was declared dead and Davis stopped running. Even though the ball was thrown to first, it didn't happen while it was a live ball, so technically there was never a throw to first and the runner was never tagged.

Archived