The Strop experiment needs to end...

MemorialStadKid

Actually we traded mike gonzalez for him. And strop and Arrieta are classic guys that need to go pitch for NL losing teams and be put in low pressure situations. Unfortunately we are in a pennant chase in the best division in baseball. But they do have some value.

I can't believe this conversation is going to happen again, but technically, he was claimed off waivers.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, tonight was another example he's not good enough.

The two outings in blowout games were the meaningless games. He has failed time and time again this year when it counts. He should never have been in the game to begin with.

But he was put in and only needed one out and choked again.

He's had more than enough chances. Valverde was just released from the tigers for far less than what strop has done this year.

It's time to make the tough decision and release strop.

Agree to disagree on this - last night's performance was not enough to prove he's not good enough. I don't know how you make that appraisal when he only threw 3 or 4 pitches and gave up a single. That could have happened to any reliever in baseball on any given night.

We do agree that most of what we've seen of him since last August IS enough to warrant a DFA.

Also agree that he wasn't the best pitcher for that situation. Which is exactly why we may not be able to carry him anymore. One more good bullpen could make a huge difference.

If strop was in the military, he would have had a "soap party" from the rest of the team by now.

In reception some of us jokingly discussed the concept about one recruit. In my entire time in the military that is as close to one happening that I ever heard. And that was with time in a combat arms unit as well as a joint command.

In the military his superiors would be trying to help him out, as would his peers.

First off, McFarland was pitching very well, but Buck proceeds to bring in Sideways. So, what does he do? Nails Davis is the back and gives up a 3 run double to that punk, Bautista. I just don't get it. This guy just needs to go away. I really can't stand to see him in ANY game in ANY situation!

Let it be noted that the count was 1-2 when Strop plunked Davis.

It was really inconvenient, though predictable that something like that (or a wild pitch) would happen when Strop came in...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Strop has now let 10 of 17 inherited runners score <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">June 23, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A lot of the blame of Strop's failures have to fall on Duquette and Buck. A lot on Buck, for sure.

Strop goes on the DL with a mystery back "injury", but instead of opting for him to go on a rehab assignment...they throw him right back in the fire. And despite statistics and evidence to the contrary, Buck decides to put Strop in multiple games (one of which the O's were winning, the other the O's were tied) where it was a high leverage situation with runners on...and Strop blows them. Just poor managing by Buck and poor roster management by Duquette. Unless their master plan is to blow games so Strop can mysteriously find his way through waivers, I think Dan and Buck need to be held accountable for the usage of Strop and his lack of a rehab assignment.

I can't believe this conversation is going to happen again, but technically, he was claimed off waivers.

Technically, we were allowed to claim him off waivers because we traded Mike Gonzales to them. They called it "future considerations."

A lot of the blame of Strop's failures have to fall on Duquette and Buck. A lot on Buck, for sure.

Strop goes on the DL with a mystery back "injury", but instead of opting for him to go on a rehab assignment...they throw him right back in the fire. And despite statistics and evidence to the contrary, Buck decides to put Strop in multiple games (one of which the O's were winning, the other the O's were tied) where it was a high leverage situation with runners on...and Strop blows them. Just poor managing by Buck and poor roster management by Duquette. Unless their master plan is to blow games so Strop can mysteriously find his way through waivers, I think Dan and Buck need to be held accountable for the usage of Strop and his lack of a rehab assignment.

Excellent post!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Strop has now let 10 of 17 inherited runners score <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">June 23, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It would be 11 of 17 if the runner on second was allowed to score on the walk-off hit on Friday night, but since the baserunner on third ended the game when he touched home plate, Strop is credited for "stranding" the back end runner.

My take just posted on my blog:

Sometimes, just sometimes, it seems necessary to put decision making by both Buck Showalter and Dan Duquette under fire. And that decision making has to do with the roster management and usage of Pedro Strop.

I know what you may be thinking. Duquette and Buck brought the O's their first winning season since 1997 last year. And their first playoff berth as well. But they're human, and they can make wrong moves. It's one thing to do it once or twice, but the continued poor management of Pedro Strop is a real head scratcher.

Let's put some things in perspective about Pedro Strop. He was traded to the Orioles back on August 31, 2011 as the Player To Be Named Later (PTBNL) in the Michael Gonzalez deal. He proceeded to put the following numbers up in 2011 and 2012 for the Orioles:

2011: 0.73 ERA, 12 1/3 IP, 0.892 WHIP, 8.8 SO/9, 2.2 BB/9

2012: 2.44 ERA, 66 1/3 IP, 1.342 WHIP, 7.9 SO/9, 5.0 BB/9

What should immediately stand out between 2011 and 2012 is the BB/9. 2.2 in 12 1/3 IP for the Orioles in 2011, but 5.0 in 66 1/3 IP in 2012. Strop's career BB/9 is 5.5, so what he did in 2012 was more indicative of what would eventually happen in 2013 (and going forward).

So, the arm is electric. He's relatively young (just turned 28 this year) and cheap ($503k this year). And he accumulated 0.7 WAR in 2012. Pretty solid for a reliever.

But let's look to a specific time period in 2012. Prior to the August 27th start against the White Sox, Pedro Strop had a 1.43 ERA. His full numbers up until that game:

176/289/218 - 507 OPS

Only 1 home run allowed

62% of his pitches were thrown for strikes

.228 BAbip

1.077 WHIP

7.62 SO/9

4.29 BB/9

5.40 H/9

Downright dominant aside from the walks.

But from August 27th on?

8.38 ERA in 9 2/3 IP (15 games)

383/491/553 - 1.044 OPS

1 home run allowed

62% of his pitches were thrown for strikes

.472 BAbip

2.899 WHIP

9.32 SO/9

9.32 BB/9

16.77 H/9

Downright terrible. Night and day. Hit hard, lots of walks, big ole ERA.

But was that just a small sample size? Could he revitalize things for the 2013 season? Dan Duquette and Buck Showalter thought so. Most thought so. Me included. But sometimes you have to be practical.

On May 24th, Pedro Strop was placed on the DL with a "lower back strain". His numbers on the season up until that point:

6.11 ERA in 17 2/3 IP (22 games)

212/358/394 - 752 OPS

3 home runs allowed

56% of his pitches were thrown for strikes

.212 BAbip

1.586 WHIP

8.66 SO/9

7.13 BB/9

7.13 H/9

A lot of walks were Pedro's problems. Some bad luck as well. Oh...and the home run ball.

People (including myself) thought Pedro's DL stint was simply a matter of roster management due to Pedro's struggles (and not an actual injury at all). But if you truly want to get Pedro righted, why not put him on the 30 day rehab assignment and take up as much time as necessary?

Duquette opted not to and instead reinstated him from the disabled list as soon as he was eligible on June 8th.

And that was a big mistake. Since then, his numbers have not been stellar in high leverage situations.

In his 3 appearances since coming off the disabled list with runners on:

June 12th:

Runners 1st and 2nd, none out against the Angels. Orioles ahead 5-3. Leverage Index of 1.88. High pressure situation.

Result:

3 hits, 1 walk, 1 home run, a 5-2 Orioles lead was turned into an 8-5 Angels lead in the blink of an eye.

June 21st:

Runners 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs against the Blue Jays. Tie game (6-6). Leverage Index of 4.63. High pressure situation.

Result:

1 hit allows the game winning run to come in.

June 3rd:

Bases loaded, 2 outs against the Blue Jays. Down 10-4. Don't know the Leverage Index, but...

Result:

1 hit, 2 inherited runners to score as well as an earned run of his own.

His other appearances not including runners on base (3 appearances)?

3 IP, 6 SO, 0 BB, 2 H

Downright dominant. Filthy even. Great movement on his fastball.

Including today Strop has allowed 10 of 17 inherited runners to score.

All that said, I think Buck is mismanaging Strop. He should only be in mop up games or do or die situations (i.e. bullpen completely used up). By no means should he be in high leverage situations.

So, I have to call a spade a spade here. One for Dan Duquette not putting him on a rehab assignment (we have any number of relievers in the minors that could take his spot) and Buck for using him in high leverage situations. Especially in the same week.

I fully understand that sometimes you have to look past the statistics, but Buck's mismanagement of the bullpen has cost the Orioles 2 games in 9 days...all due to the poor use of Pedro Strop.

I'll just leave this little diddy here:

Not including today, Pedro Strop's 2013 numbers with runners on:

343/477/714 - 1.192 OPS in 48 plate appearances

With no runners on:

170/278/255 - 533 OPS in 55 plate appearances

Buck needs to use Strop properly. Low leverage situations. No runners on would be ideal.

I still feel that Strop would get claimed if he was DFA'ed. Due to not putting Strop on a rehab assignment, we have to deal with a reliever who can only be used (reliably) with no runners on.

Source: http://www.stephenpauladams.com/articles/stroped-it-up-blaming-duquette-and-buck/

Maybe Strop agreed to the DL move if he didn't have to go on a rehab assignment? Who knows how a situation like that works? Maybe his agent gets involved.

You can't hide a guy all year when our starters don't give us enough innings. I agree 100% he should be avoided if possible in big spots but it is June and you can't use the same guys every game. I am sorry but I don't have an issue with today even with runners on when we are down 6 runs and our starter gets knocked out early.

Maybe Strop agreed to the DL move if he didn't have to go on a rehab assignment? Who knows how a situation like that works? Maybe his agent gets involved.

You can't hide a guy all year when our starters don't give us enough innings. I agree 100% he should be avoided if possible in big spots but it is June and you can't use the same guys every game. I am sorry but I don't have an issue with today even with runners on when we are down 6 runs and our starter gets knocked out early.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't have been in today. I think today was a perfect example of where he should be. But it was yet another example of Pedro Strop's inability to get the big out...regardless of score. With runners on, he's atrocious.

Archived