Jose Bautista is about to pass Markakis (Update: Bautista passed Markakis)

McLovin

After looking at Nick's numbers compared to Jose's. Why would you vote for Bautista over Nick anyhow? Nick has a .289 avg. Jose .254, Jose has 3 more RBIs and has 9 more HRs. Nick is a better fielder and is a better all around player IMO. If your a big fan of the HRs and.. well thats about it then I get it.

A Blue Jays fan a few weeks ago told me that Bautista "should win a Gold Glove this year". I had to contain my laughter, even though I had kinda liked Bautista prior to his little tete a tete with O'Day.

In any case I voted for Markakis and will continue to do so. The All Star vote is never and has never been about who the best player is, it's a popularity contest and I want our players to be popular. If it was about who's the best, Cabrera would be DHing in the game and Manny would be starting at third. Just for example. Cal didn't deserve to be on his last year on merits, but he was a starter and the game was better for it.

To each their own though...

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL. So if you don't vote orange down the ballot you're a wannabe purist who can't get over yourself? Good talk.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit it seems. I said the whole thing is a farce, it's a fan vote, it hasn't been meaningful since fans were allowed to flood the internet with bots and votes. If you want to vote based on WAR that's your prerogative, but again, it's a FAN vote, so I'll see the game as the farce that it is and vote for players I like, not despise. Good talk. L2R.

I actually forget who I voted for, but I don't hate on O's fans for not voting for Nick. His an Ok hitter and a pretty good fielder (which is an upgrade over the last few years) who gets paid and treated by local fans like he's a star. Personally, I sort of resent his power in this org, even though I don't actually blame him for any of it. He seems like a good enough guy, but is he so good that he should never be considered as a trade chip, for example? Heck, in the right deal I'd consider trading him right now and giving Urrutia his job (probably premature, but not totally unreasonable). Does he really deserve a gold glove? An All-Star appearance?

For me, he's probably third on my list of Orioles outfielders in All Star voting. Add in Trout, Cespedes, Ellsbury, Gordon, Reddick and Victorino and there are plenty of people I'd rather watch play baseball than Markakis.

With all of that said, the AL Outfield list isn't deep at all, and good for all of the O's fans who are sticking with our guy.

Orioles fans have suffered enough. I am actually proud that our fans are eager to see our own in the allstar game. Besides, most of the players we are voting in are deserving. Even Markakis isn't a travesty to be voted in, I mean who is really that much more deserving? Bautista maybe, but there's nobody else really. Davis, Hardy, and Jones are actually deserving. To be honest though I'd rather send Markakis for his first appearance than Jones if I had the choice. Jones probably gets more recognition across the board than he really deserves.

It would be especially ludicrous to have that many Orioles starting the game when they aren't in first place and aren't the best team in the league.

Well, I don't know if that is an accurate way of looking at it. There are two components to winning and being in first place. Scoring runs and not giving up runs, but we can't vote on pitching. You're only voting for the position players and the DH. Offensively we are near the top, and fans dig the long-ball and runs, and we score 'em.

Good. I voted for Bautista thirty-five times on my ballot. Markakis does not belong in the ASG this year. It would be especially ludicrous to have that many Orioles starting the game when they aren't in first place and aren't the best team in the league.

But the offense is league leading and that is what is being voted on. It is your belief that if the O's pitching was better then the team would warrant more position players starting the game?

Good. I voted for Bautista thirty-five times on my ballot. Markakis does not belong in the ASG this year. It would be especially ludicrous to have that many Orioles starting the game when they aren't in first place and aren't the best team in the league.

Okay. But Joey Bats is pretty much the last player I would vote for. I'd vote for Ellsbury, Trout, AJ before I'd vote in Joey Bats. Since I'm an O's fan, I'd vote McLouth in ahead of Bautista too.

The only non Oriole I voted for was Cano. I like him more than Pedroia and I couldn't in good conscience vote for Brian Roberts, Flaherty, or Casilla.

I wrote in Flaherty and voted for him. If you take out all the games he hasn't hit in, he's having an Allstar season.

I wrote in Flaherty and voted for him. If you take out all the games he hasn't hit in, he's having an Allstar season.

This is a great point.

I have been voting for Roberts, simply because he is still handsome.

That would explain some of the issues Wieters has been having. I guess he shouldn't have changed his hair style after that big year in the minors.

It's the only logical solution. Maybe he should try a different Sport Clips...see if they can get his bat on track.

Back to the original topic. The Orioles deserve more accolades than other teams. That's fact. Case closed. Vote Orange. Vote early. Vote often.

Archived