Jose Bautista is about to pass Markakis (Update: Bautista passed Markakis)

McLovin

I'd choose Markakis to hit in that scenario every time. The guy is clutch and rarely strikes out. Bautista would K trying to swing for the fences. His uppercut 'all or nothing' approach is getting less effective every year.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bautista deserves it more. I voted for him. Markakis starting the All-Star game this year is a joke.
Deserves got nothing to do with it...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dpDkYZWeeVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think the ASG is a joke. I think most players take it seriously, especially now that it determines home field advantage in the World Series. I also think it is a worthwhile game because unlike the other sports, it's not just an offensive showcase. Pitchers actually try, and fielders actually field. So it's a chance to see the best players in baseball.

Let's stipulate two things:

1. The Orioles are going to win the American League pennant this year. Would you rather they get the home game in Games 1, 2, 6 and 7, or in Games 3, 4, or 5? Keep in mind that the last team to win a Game 7 on the road to win the World Series was the Pirates against Baltimore in 1979. Since then, road teams are 0-8 in Game Sevens.

2. There will be a situation during the All Star Game where the American League will have three men on base with two outs and the right fielder coming up. Would you rather that player be Jose Bautista or Nick Markakis? Who do you think is more likely to win a game with his bat?

To me, the answers to these questions are obvious. I love rooting for Orioles in the ASG, but I've never liked it when other teams have stacked the starting lineups with players, some of whom were not really deserving. I don't think Bautista should start over Markakis because he has a better WAR. I think Bautista should start over Markakis because he's a better player, end of story.

I think Bautista is a better player over Markakis, but him being a clown precludes me from wanting to vote for him. I would take Jones Trout, and Ellsbury over Bautista, for sure.

Not voting for Markakis is one thing, but I prefer voting for non-clowns, even if they are good baseball players.

I apply the "good character" clause that is part of hall-of-fame voting.

3 better OFs than Jones this year?

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=of&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

3? Theres 7.

Mike Trout

Jose Bautista

Jacoby Ellsbury

Brett Gardner

Alex Rios

Colby Rasmus

Mark Trumbo

Jones terrible defense really hurts him.

(also, Markakis is 25th out of 45 starting OFs in the AL, so he's technically a below average starting OF this year)

Now, I've only been an O's fan since the date of last years MLB draft but I can't believe anyone has the time/care to vote 135 times for the MLB all star team. Really?

That takes all of 5 minutes to do online.

I usually vote my 35 per day allotment on my mobile whilst pooping. I'm staying regular and voting orange - win/win.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=of&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

3? Theres 7.

Mike Trout

Jose Bautista

Jacoby Ellsbury

Brett Gardner

Alex Rios

Colby Rasmus

Mark Trumbo

Jones terrible defense really hurts him.

(also, Markakis is 25th out of 45 starting OFs in the AL, so he's technically a below average starting OF this year)

1) jones is tied with trumbo on that link

2) using war as gospel is not its intention

Nick Markakis is my favorite player in MLB. Nobody wants him to succeed more than I do. But he has no business starting the all-star game this year, and I'm sure he won't. The voters almost always come to their senses in the last two weeks of the balloting.

I dislike Bautista, but he has a good argument to be an all star game starter.

If you go to a game they will let you take as many ballots as you want home to fill out. Guy called into radio today and said he took home whole box, like 1000 and then turned them in next time he went.

And I imagine when the usher or whoever received them wasn't looking the 1,000 ballots wound up in the circular file.

Archived