Gausman Up, Garcia Not Listed On Board

Can_of_corn

Is Jurrjens at all a possibility for Friday?

Well sort of.

I could see McFarland starting Friday and Jurrjens recalled to be the long man in the pen. Gausman being recalled because Jurrjens in not available until Wed. Gaus would be optioned to make room for Jurrjens.

I think if Chen goes 5 innings and does well in his first minor league start, he will be recalled for July 4th or 5th.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As an earlier poster mentioned, the Cardinals have been doing it for years, and they are perhaps the most elite team in the majors right now in terms of producing pitching talent and getting the most out of their veterans who come from other organizations.

Adam Wainwright, Lance Lynn, Shelby Miller, Trevor Rosenthal, and Carlos Martinez were/are all high-end starting pitching prospects that spent (or are spending, as is the case with Rosenthal) time in the bullpen.

And of course, the Orioles in their glory days were one of the leading organizations of that kind of pitching development. I like this move with Gausman, whether it's temporary or more long-term for this season.

Granted, I don't think Gausman will be in the bullpen too long. I think he will get some starts once the fifth spot (or the spot Garcia was pitching in yesterday) in the rotation comes back around. But I wouldn't be opposed to him spending a few weeks there, or longer if Britton succeeds and Chen comes back soon.

And the Cardinals were able to do this because their starting rotation was full of legitimate major league pitchers, and none of those guys you mentioned had less than a year of professional of time. Apples to oranges.

As an earlier poster mentioned, the Cardinals have been doing it for years, and they are perhaps the most elite team in the majors right now in terms of producing pitching talent and getting the most out of their veterans who come from other organizations.

Adam Wainwright, Lance Lynn, Shelby Miller, Trevor Rosenthal, and Carlos Martinez were/are all high-end starting pitching prospects that spent (or are spending, as is the case with Rosenthal) time in the bullpen.

And of course, the Orioles in their glory days were one of the leading organizations of that kind of pitching development. I like this move with Gausman, whether it's temporary or more long-term for this season.

Granted, I don't think Gausman will be in the bullpen too long. I think he will get some starts once the fifth spot (or the spot Garcia was pitching in yesterday) in the rotation comes back around. But I wouldn't be opposed to him spending a few weeks there, or longer if Britton succeeds and Chen comes back soon.

Buck' MASN interview last night clearly stated that Gausman was up for one reason only: the O's being short in the 'pen after Garcia's brief start the game before. He said he would rather have left Gausman alone with the Tides but he needed another middle or long reliever just in case. Had nothing to do with longer term plans to keep him up with the O's, belief that he had suddenly developed, etc. Among the different possibilities, he was the most rested. I wd say that Buck also implied that he'd like to have Garcia back on the Norfolk staff ready to be called up for any future emergencies.

http://www.masnsports.com/index_medialounge.php?show_id=1783820&p=

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Orioles have reached an agreement w Freddy Garcia to return to Norfolk, accdg to source. He had until 3 today to accept the assignment.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">June 27, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good move.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Orioles have reached an agreement w Freddy Garcia to return to Norfolk, accdg to source. He had until 3 today to accept the assignment.</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="
">June 27, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good move.

Does he stay on the 40 man roster or does he come off?

Nothing has been made official yet but Roch seems to think the O's are leaning toward Gausman starting tomorrow night against the Yankees instead of McFarland. I have mixed feelings. On one hand I'm excited to see him get another chance and the Yankees have such a weak line-up that maybe he has a chance at having a good night.

My reservations, and this is more for the series in general, come from the fact that our rotation is not matching up real well with the Yankees starters this weekend. IMO, we're gonna need the offense to wake up from it's slumber for this series.

Archived