Bundy had a setback

WalkingDead

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watch Hobgood have a better career than Gausman and Bundy. That'd be crazy.

Hobgood is still in low A. I highly doubt he makes to the majors.

On Bundy they sure babied him last year and look at him now. Pitch counts and inning limits are just a bunch of BS.

Man, we have some hard luck drafting and nurturing young pitchers.

You know, in the alternative energy space, almost all of the R&D is done via small companies dependent upon investor capital. The big guys - BP, Exxon, Shell, etc., wait on the outside until a technology has proven itself at commercial scale. Then they generally jump in and purchase the company or companies with the new technology (provided they can make some money with it). This isn't unusual. These large companies could certainly fund their own R&D and hire their share of brilliant folks. But there's no guarantee on risk or any assurance that these technologies will ever be profitable on a large scale, so they tend to stay out of the early stage arena and let rich pie-eyed dreamers fund and develop these technologies.

Perhaps the O's should take a cue... This whole buy the bats, grow the arms thing might be somewhat backwards...

Is it hard luck or incompetence?

We got Tillman from the Mariners in the Bedard trade.

The guys I'm listed aren't necessarily ones we drafted but simply ones we had a big part in developing (attempting to develop). As in when we acquired them, no matter how we did, they were unfinished and not ready for the MLB products.

The guys I'm listed aren't necessarily ones we drafted but simply ones we had a big part in developing (attempting to develop). As in when we acquired them, no matter how we did, they were unfinished and not ready for the MLB products.

Significant difference between "unfinished" and "built from the ground up," IMO.

Is it hard luck or incompetence?

I think it's a bit of both. I mean drafting a player isn't an exact science (even though there are some who try to make it one) and they're never any guarantees. Most of the ones drafting, evaluating and teaching in the organization now weren't even here when the Penns and the Maines and such were flopping. Are we really saying that no matter what pitcher we draft and who the team hires to help them develop, we can just assume they're automatically incompetent?

As a Cub fan it really sucks to see this. The kid goes from clear cut #1 pitching prospect in baseball to an unclear future. I wonder if more teams are going to starting going the route the Cubs have and focus on position players early in the draft(Baez/Almora/Bryant) due to all the injury risks drafting a pitcher comes with.

Not that I could see this injury coming, but I was the strong supporter for shipping a package formed around Bundy to Miami for Stanton.

This is why you can never assume the projections of a top prospect. Bundy's value has plummeted since Spring Training because of these arm issues. Now, trying to trade Bundy at the deadline for a top arm is near impossible.

In January people bashed me for even thinking of trading Bundy, I'm not all for trading every prospect that we have, but its obvious this team needs a true ace, a guy that can be a stopper. Trading a package of Bundy, Schoop and Arrieta/Britton probably could have gotten us that ace- although we are giving up cost efficient and controlled players, sometimes that's what teams who are trying to win have to do.

However, I will end in this: In DD and Buck I trust.

Hobgood is still in low A. I highly doubt he makes to the majors.

On Bundy they sure babied him last year and look at him now. Pitch counts and inning limits are just a bunch of BS.

Hobgood will be close to the bigs next year. Book it. He will be a september call up. Frederick at the end of this year. Frederick/Bowie next year. He texted me and said he is consistently hitting 95, and next season will be the one.

It's hard not to think and brace for the worst. This being the O's and all and taking into account the O's long and not so storied history of the starting pitching developmental history. But it's too early to throw in the towel on Bundy long-term, as some seem to be doing.

That being said, this certainly throws a monkey wrench into the apparent near/current-term plan of having the starting rotation tread water until Bundy and Gausman were ready to contribute.

This was the complaint by some when looking at the (again) apparent master plan of the O's and why we were upset at how the off season played out. A team so unlucky and/or unable of develop starting pitching, then banking so heavily on developing starting pitching and counting on short-term and measurable contribution seemed as risky as it was unnecessary. But what now? We have neither the prospects, nor the cash apparently to acquire difference making starting pitching talent, right? Or can a Garza type move still happen? I guess even a healthy and productive Chen would be the equivalent of such a move and should keep us in the competitve mix, right?

Still, it's hard not to be left with a lot of what-ifs swirling around in my head when you look at this offense and then think what could have been if the O's had done even a tad more in addressing the starting pitching.

Archived