Bundy had a setback

WalkingDead

I think it's a bit of both. I mean drafting a player isn't an exact science (even though there are some who try to make it one) and they're never any guarantees. Most of the ones drafting, evaluating and teaching in the organization now weren't even here when the Penns and the Maines and such were flopping. Are we really saying that no matter what pitcher we draft and who the team hires to help them develop, we can just assume they're automatically incompetent?

Some teams are consistently good at drafting and developing pitching talent. The O's haven't been for some time, and there's still plenty of people left over from the bad old days.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hobgood will be close to the bigs next year. Book it. He will be a september call up. Frederick at the end of this year. Frederick/Bowie next year. He texted me and said he is consistently hitting 95, and next season will be the one.

Riiiiight.

EDIT: Directed at your BS name dropping. Not at Hobgood. I believe in him. You...not so much.

I feel like this is my fault. My favorite hockey team (Flyers) can't develop goalies, and my favorite baseball team (Orioles) can't develop pitchers. Clearly there's something to this.

I was going to go to the game on Saturday but maybe I should stay away so nothing else bad happens. I'm half kidding.

The Boston home game LAST weekend wasn't so bad. We need to represent to drown out these foreigners. Go to the Skankee game!

Why do we keep fooling ourselves into thinking "surely, this guy MUST work out"?

They never do, the last good prospect we developed was mussina and he bolted town in his prime.

So gausman gets shelled, Britton and arrieta still look lost and can't get deep into games and now bundy is hurt.......again.

There is a pitching curse on this franchise, that's literally the only explanation. Even by dumb blind luck we should have developed one decent starter that we drafted in the last decade. But no, no a single starter that we drafted is making a major contribution to this team.

Britton is the closest and he's hardly a quality starter. I didn't want to trade gausman or bundy either but man, it is time to take a good hard look in the mirror because what we are doing........it's not working.

TINSTAAPP - Between Gausman's struggles and Bundy's injured arm, I'm not sure we could have had a worse year when it came to our top pitching prospects. It just seems that the Orioles just can't catch a break with pitchers. It almost like this organization is snake bit since Mike Mu$$ina.

In fact, until we draft and develop a TOR, I'm calling this the Curse of Mu$$ina.

Which is why we should have spent some money for a proven pitcher. We spend a ton of early draft picks on pitching and none of them ever pan out.

The Bundy news is a huge setback. To me, the worst part about it is not that he probably needs elbow surgery, it is that the team tried to avoid the surgery with the platelet injections and essentially Bundy will not be in a discussion until 2015 and likely his first full season in the rotation will not be until 2016. This season and next season are toast.

The good news is pitchers have high recovery rate from elbow surgery so hopefully it is just a matter of being patient, but this is a real tough kick to the stones.

Significant difference between "unfinished" and "built from the ground up," IMO.

I would say we had a much larger role in developing Chris Tillman at this point than Seattle did figuring he was drafted in 2006, traded to us prior to 2008 season. So while we didn't guide him the first few steps of his pro career we did pretty much build him from the ground up.

People seem to forget Bedard was probably a top 5 MLB pitcher when we traded him. There are not many, but there are a few successes.

What the Orioles should really do is go hire the guy developing the mexican league talent the Orioles get. Rodrigo, Simon and Gonzalez all seemed to succeed.

Is it hard luck or incompetence?

We've had numerous different pitching coaches and pitching coordinators over the years, so I think it're more bad luck than incompetence. But for those around here who think that Rick Peterson is some genius, how does that square with the fact that our top prospect is on the shelf and our second best prospect was overhyped as being ready, when he wasn't?

Crossing my fingers now that they can operate on the flexor mass in the forearm rather than the elbow. I'd imagine that recovery is quicker.

The O's really need to get this next treatment step right or we can waste a lot of time.

Anyone know the effects on his service time? Does and injury slow what was supposed to be his time table he needed to be on a ML roster per his contract?

Yeah....this doesn't sound like an injury that would be solved by Tommy John surgery.

And that makes it even worse. He's got an injury that seems to be new to the universe. No one can diagnose it. At this point I wonder if Bundy pitches in an O's uniform ever again.

And that makes it even worse. He's got an injury that seems to be new to the universe. No one can diagnose it. At this point I wonder if Bundy pitches in an O's uniform ever again.

Perhaps he's just been working with hazardous substances that have yet to be identified.

simpsons-outrageous-ins-4.png

Archived