Bundy had a setback

WalkingDead

Yes I laugh at all of the posters who derided me for wanting to trade Bundy and or Gausman for ML talent. The O's have not developed a HS pitcher in 30 years... and yet again this year they wasted a first round pick on a HS pitcher.

They should trade him tomorrow.

Bundy should have gone to Texas, signing with the Orioles was agreeing to end his career.

Just because Bundy had a set back doesn't mean he will be a bust. Kevin will be

a good pitcher. Maybe not this year. IMO

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is bad news for 2013. The O's had to be hoping Bundy/Gausman would come to the Majors throwing fireballs by hopeless hitters by around mid-August.

For Bundy, I'm not sure what this means. The good news was and remains that this is not a shoulder injury. The most severe surgery I've personally heard bandied about was TJ. That's a big setback, but far from a career ender. On the other hand, this does raise the question about his workouts and the wear and tear on his body. It's a big red flag for me.

I've finally come full circle on Joe Jordan. For years I was a huge fan. Arrieta, Matusz, Hernandez and Britton were all up and comers. Now they look like undersized relievers who lack the stuff and/or control to become impact starters. The argument was always about whether we were picking the wrong players or whether we just didn't develop them right. Well, while I'm sure there was plenty of blame to go around, our pitching prospects, combined with guys like Avery and Townsend, really leaves something to be desired. All of this makes me regret, even more, my hokey user name. :(

We've had numerous different pitching coaches and pitching coordinators over the years, so I think it're more bad luck than incompetence. But for those around here who think that Rick Peterson is some genius, how does that square with the fact that our top prospect is on the shelf and our second best prospect was overhyped as being ready, when he wasn't?

Sorry Frobby but what does Peterson have to do it? Bundy enjured and Kevin

Gausman is not ready yet. I don't see the angst. Those two will be ready next

year. Maybe Kevin later this season. IMO

For everyone predicting surgery, and I'm saying you're wrong, but what surgery? This sure doesn't sound like a TJ injury. Like everyone else that's what I thought when I first heard he had pain but Andrews said the elbow was fine. While I didn't want to move him or Gaus unless it was for a great return it's very true about TNSTAAPP.

And that makes it even worse. He's got an injury that seems to be new to the universe. No one can diagnose it. At this point I wonder if Bundy pitches in an O's uniform ever again.

I don't know if I would go that far. But, you are right about this "mystery" injury that Bundy has. If it's not his UCL, and Tommy John is not a viable option, then what is it? It has to be something involved with his elbow. But, what? And not to wish this on anybody, but why doesn't this crap happen to the Clayton Schrader's and Adam Russell's of the world? Why is it always our "top" guys?

I have a bad feeling this is going to be a injury that lingers for years.. seems like it's one of those injuries that goes away then will come back. The fact no doctors can really diagnose this is real bad news IMO, how can you fix something that is unknown? I think rest for the remainder of the season might be the best fix for it.

Hopefully one of the docs on the board will weigh in, but I'm under the impression from their previous posts that this could be related to his elbow, and thus require TJ surgery. I guess not all elbow problems show up glaringly on an MRI, but the symptom (forearm issues) are often related to damage in the elbow.

Dan Duquette tweeted out this article this afternoon. :scratchchinhmm:

I'd like to hear Nolan Ryan or Jim Palmer comment on these guidelines

I think latin america players are more advanced (especially arm strength, see Cespedes, Puig many others) because they don't have these guidelines. They just go out and play baseball everyday like we did in America in the 60's and 70's

Ha. Hey, at least our GM has a freakin' clue about this kind of stuff. Unlike some poeple *cough* Bundy's Dad *cough*.

Its funny people like webrick do exist. in the 50's, 60's and 70's pitching drills in little leagues did not exist. Look it up I'm not your wiki. Kids at much younger ages get exposed to much more then their arms can handle. Trying to build pitch speeds and get a college scholarship its much more a science now than it was then. Some people just like spouting off at the key board though.

I'd like to hear Nolan Ryan or Jim Palmer comment on these guidelines

I think latin america players are more advanced (especially arm strength, see Cespedes, Puig many others) because they don't have these guidelines. They just go out and play baseball everyday like we did in America in the 60's and 70's

Did you ever wonder why the pitchers in the LLWS never make it to the big leagues as pitchers? It's because their parents and coaches abuse their arms by overusing them and having them throw breaking balls when they're way too young. Bundy was overused in high school (I mean...way overused), and now he has an arm issue.

Unfortunately too many high school and college coaches are only worried about winning, so these guidelines aren't followed now. Palmer has said many times that he and others in his generation had less wear and tear on their arms because they played other sports. Kids these days (in warmer climates) play year round. That kind of overuse causes so many injuries, and it's just maddening that parents can't figure this out.

Watch Hobgood have a better career than Gausman and Bundy. That'd be crazy.

I dont know if that can happen but I would love to see it. Not that I dont want to see Gausman or Bundy succeed but I would like to see Matt rub it in the faces of all the people who called him a wasted draft pick or "Fat" Hobgood.

Archived