Marlins Trying to Trade Nolasco ASAP

luismatos4prez

I'm interested, but I'm not giving up the farm for Nolasco. He's more of a junkball guy now as his fastball is hit pretty hard. I'd be willing to move say a Avery/Hoes-type of guy and a Wright/Arrieta kind of guy for him. I'm not moving any of these guys (Gausman, Bundy, Delmonico, ERod, Hader, Davies, Walker).

If your talking about his value in a vacuum then I would agree he is not worth trading any of these guys for (Gausman, Bundy, Delmonico, ERod, Hader, Davies, Walker)

However being realistic your unlikely to get a guy like Nolasco for for Avery/Hoes (essentially 4th OF at best) and Wright/Arrieta. To many other teams looking for SP with better prospects for that to fly. If you include one of Delmonico, ERod, Hader etc then maybe we are in the ballpark.

This is what frustrated me about our inability to pick up a decentish starter this offseason. A guy at that point costs you money (long as you dont sign comp eligible guy). A team that is a little thin beyond its top 5 or so prospects should be doing all it can to ensure it does not find itself in this position (having to give up prospects for SP) during the offseason.

I get that some of the options such as Saunders they were looking at have not lived up to expectations and perhaps had they signed a guy like that we would still be in the market for a SP. I still think you have to take a shot on a guy during the offseason on one of these guys and if it does not work out then you can at least say you tried to address the issue.

Not the end of the world and not bashing a FO that has done a great deal right. Just saying it was a misstep and hopefully one we will not repeat again next offseason

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O's trade pieces according to value for the Marlins who want cheap, close to ML ready/ML ready talent:

Britton

Arrieta

Schoop

Urrutia

Wright

Rodrigez

Hader

Hoes

Avery

Remember no team is giving up top prospects for a two month rental. If we are willing to bite the bullet we have enough to get Nolasco. He does one thing no Orioles pitcher currently does; he averages 19 outs a game.

Does Arrieta + Hoes get the deal done or will we be outbid? I'd give Reimold away for nothing at this point too.

Arrieta has talent but that only goes so far. His trade value is even less than it was going into the season. Hoes is sitting at AAA while guys like Pierce and Dickerson (essentially guys who could be had for nothing this offseason) are on the MLB roster. He may be a decent 4th OF one day but hardly what the Marlins would want for a guy like Nolasco who is not great but good enough to generate some interest. Personally I think the Marlins would easily get better elsewhere

The problem is that the Orioles have 2 legit trade pieces, yet they don't want to trade them... and for a team that wants to make a trade, if you're not going to offer anything other teams want, they'll just laugh at the offer and put down the phone.

If the Orioles really want to salvage the year and get the must needed SP, they need to give up value to get value. Nobody wants C level prospects or former prospects.

The problem with this is unless you're talking about someone like Cliff Lee, none of the other options are worth giving up those two prospects. And even Lee, because of his contract, is questionable. If the Phillies would eat some of his contract, I would easily give up either of those two for him.

The problem with this is unless you're talking about someone like Cliff Lee, none of the other options are worth giving up those two prospects. And even Lee, because of his contract, is questionable. If the Phillies would eat some of his contract, I would easily give up either of those two for him.

With Bundys unknown arm problems, I can't imagine his value is very high right now. Still higher than anyone other than Gausman, but he alone might be worth a #3 starter like a Norris or Nolasco. I don't see anyone giving up a TOR pitcher for a guy with major arm issues who might not even pitch for a year, though.

O's trade pieces according to value for the Marlins who want cheap, close to ML ready/ML ready talent:

Britton

Arrieta

Schoop

Urrutia

Wright

Rodrigez

Hader

Hoes

Avery

Remember no team is giving up top prospects for a two month rental. If we are willing to bite the bullet we have enough to get Nolasco. He does one thing no Orioles pitcher currently does; he averages 19 outs a game.

I think you have Arrieta overvalued IMO. His failure at the MLB coupled with his not so hot performance at AAA has turned him into a guy that would be at the backend of that list IMO. Just my opinion but I think a lot of people fail to see just how much his trade value has diminished this season. He was a flop this year on a team with good D and decent roster. I do however think that Arrieta could get you a BP arm. Say Britton, Arrieta/Avery and Hoes for Nolasco and Reliever?

This type of deal gives the Marlins 2 SP who they can roll the dice with and a guy who they could give some playing time to if they choose to move an OF.

With Bundys unknown arm problems, I can't imagine his value is very high right now. Still higher than anyone other than Gausman, but he alone might be worth a #3 starter like a Norris or Nolasco. I don't see anyone giving up a TOR pitcher for a guy with major arm issues who might not even pitch for a year, though.

I tend to disagree. Bundy is 20yrs old and even if he required TJ surgery, recent history suggests that he will be back as good as he was before. His value is certainly less than it may have been at this point last year but I would guess any team trading SP would still drool to get a prospect like Bundy back arm issues and all.

At 11.5 million for an average pitcher? No thanks. Talk about overpaid.

He could be Verlander and if he cost the O's 11.5 million a year we wouldn't trade for him.

I wouldn't have any problem trading Schoop for him.

I think you have Arrieta overvalued IMO. His failure at the MLB coupled with his not so hot performance at AAA has turned him into a guy that would be at the backend of that list IMO. Just my opinion but I think a lot of people fail to see just how much his trade value has diminished this season. He was a flop this year on a team with good D and decent roster. I do however think that Arrieta could get you a BP arm. Say Britton, Arrieta/Avery and Hoes for Nolasco and Reliever?

This type of deal gives the Marlins 2 SP who they can roll the dice with and a guy who they could give some playing time to if they choose to move an OF.

We can Quibble about Arrieta's value, but you have to pay to play. Because of Arrieta's stuff other teams value him more than we do. They think they can fix him. And I wouldn't be surprised if the can. Our pitching development sucks.

I wouldn't do that deal if I were the Marlins. The only one of those guys with much upside is Britton and his time is running out. I would want at least one decent prospect. Not a bunch of guys that the other team is trying to unload.

We can Quibble about Arrieta's value, but you have to pay to play. Because of Arrieta's stuff other teams value him more than we do. They think they can fix him. And I wouldn't be surprised if the can. Our pitching development sucks.

Yeah, someone will want Arrieta.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/06/east-notes-davis-haren-arrieta.html

ESPN's Buster Olney (Insider subscription required) sees Arrieta as a Chris Davis-type situation: the talent is there, but the question is whether it will translate at some point.

He just needs to get out of Baltimore since he's worn out his welcome here. He still has enough value that he would likely be the one headlining a package if we do make a trade.

If we are willing to bite the bullet we have enough to get Nolasco. He does one thing no Orioles pitcher currently does; he averages 19 outs a game.

Gonzo does. Tillman is pretty darn close. And of course Nolasco is doing it in the NL. I wouldn't expect him to get much deeper into games than Gonzo or Tillman on any type of consistent basis.

Having said that, there's little doubt this team needs to add a starter. I don't think Nolasco will cost as much as other think, but there's going to need to be one significant piece there.

Archived