Many roster moves coming.

mark_beckens

Roberts is back around June 28th.

Reimold around July 1st.

Chen around July 2nd.

Pearce around July 5th.

It makes sense to option Flaherty but who backs up SS? Casilla won't back up short stop. Yes Machado can but then who plays 3B? Depending on who pitches on Thursday, I could see a bullpen arm sent down to make room for Roberts assuming the pitching staff is rested.

It could be Gausman (or Arrieta), or a Casilla DFA (see above) to make room for Chen. Would like to see a Strop DFA to make roster space though.

Reimold should be DFA'ed since he isn't showing much on his rehab. Steve Johnson can be optioned when he is healthy. Pearce will probably stay on a longer rehab.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everything bolded is just wrong.

No way we DFA Reimold or Strop.

Gausman will probably remain with the Os.

Urrutia is maybe a september callup.

Why? What's so important about keeping a completely undependable DH and a reliever we got for nothing who's having a lousy season?

Why? What's so important about keeping a completely undependable DH and a reliever we got for nothing who's having a lousy season?
What are your moves?

Strop will remain on the team. They will continue to try to rebuild has confidence and get his stuff back.

Moves:

Flaherty will be optioned for Roberts.

Reimold/Betemit will be the DH platoon as Buck and most people still see them as better options over Pearce and Valencia.

Ishikawa is the first to be DFA.

Henry will be moved up to AAA soon but he will only reach the Os as a late callup. I do not see him taking away games from Mclouth in LF and Reimold at DH.

I want to know who's pitching Friday and Weds. Any body, please, but Arrieta. Jurrjens, Wada, McF, anybody! Starting Arrieta is like sending Freddie back out there. As to Henry, I just looked at his MiL splits. Wow. How long has he been hitting just lefty? His numbers against LHP are as good as Betemit's against RHP. Bring him up soon.

Strop will remain on the team. They will continue to try to rebuild has confidence and get his stuff back.

Moves:

Reimold/Betemit will be the DH platoon as Buck and most people still see them as better options over Pearce and Valencia.

Henry will be moved up to AAA soon but he will only reach the Os as a late callup. I do not see him taking away games from Mclouth in LF and Reimold at DH.

Betemit is nowhere close to returning. He will most likely be back in end of July so no reason to worry about him. You can't deny what Valencia has done against LHP and that is what he was brought here to do. He is doing his job. Reimold has not done his job at all.

Moves:

Why do we need both Ishikawa and Dickerson? Let Ishikawa go to make room for Roberts. Then you could DH BRob against RHP. If Reimold had an option there's no way they'd bring him up over keeping Valencia. The only reason he'd be up if at all is because they want to take one final look. If they bring up Henry I see no reason why they wouldn't play him in LF against LHP.

I want to know who's pitching Friday and Weds. Any body, please, but Arrieta. Jurrjens, Wada, McF, anybody! Starting Arrieta is like sending Freddie back out there. As to Henry, I just looked at his MiL splits. Wow. How long has he been hitting just lefty? His numbers against LHP are as good as Betemit's against RHP. Bring him up soon.

Gonzalez should pitch Wednesday next week. They won't need Fridays starter until Saturday. At that time Chen may be ready. So, if chen's rehab goes well, then you only need a spot start Friday.

Not sure what will happen but when Roberts is ready I'd let Ishikawa go. If the Yankees want him, so be it. If the O's view Flaherty's defense as a dramatic upgrade to Roberts' defense then the possibility of their running Roberts out there as a DH, at least versus right handers should be strongly considered. Against lefties Roberts mans 2B and Valencia DH's.

I'm thinking Dickerson may be playing his way off the roster eventually but it's tricky. If Jones got injured I'd imagine McLouth would move over to CF. BUT if McLouth ever got injured, and Dickerson wasn't around, who would back up Jones. Flaherty? Casilla? Calling up Xavier Avery would make the roster much weaker.

Personally, I'm on the keep Valencia over Reimold boat.

Not going to worry about Betemit for now, still seems a ways a way and a bunch more could change with the roster prior to Wilson being ready.

As for who pitches this Friday, very curious. Buck said yesterday that they already know who they want to start the game but won't say. I'm ready to let Strop go, pretty sure it will happen. It could even be as soon as when Chen is ready.

Weren't you just telling me they don't have a spot on the 40 man? Doesn't really matter when you see what the guy can do and what Reimold isn't doing.

Roberts is back around June 28th.

Reimold around July 1st.

Chen around July 2nd.

Pearce around July 5th.

It makes sense to option Flaherty but who backs up SS? Casilla won't back up short stop. Yes Machado can but then who plays 3B? Depending on who pitches on Thursday, I could see a bullpen arm sent down to make room for Roberts assuming the pitching staff is rested.

It could be Gausman (or Arrieta), or a Casilla DFA (see above) to make room for Chen. Would like to see a Strop DFA to make roster space though.

Reimold should be DFA'ed since he isn't showing much on his rehab. Steve Johnson can be optioned when he is healthy. Pearce will probably stay on a longer rehab.

Just curious why you don't think Casilla can back up SS. Also, Valencia plays 3B.

Not sure what will happen but when Roberts is ready I'd let Ishikawa go. If the Yankees want him, so be it. If the O's view Flaherty's defense as a dramatic upgrade to Roberts' defense then the possibility if there running Roberts out there as a DH, at least versus right handers should be strongly considered. Against lefties Roberts mans 2B and Valencia DH's.

I'm thinking Dickerson may be playing his way off the roster eventually but it's tricky. If Jones got injured I'd imagine McLouth would move over to CF. BUT if McLouth ever got injured, and Dickerson wasn't around, who would back up Jones. Flaherty? Casilla? Calling up Xavier Avery would make the roster much weaker.

Personally, I'm on the keep Valencia over Reimold boat.

Not going to worry about Betemit for now, still seems a ways a way and a bunch more could change with the roster prior to Wilson being ready.

As for who pitches this Friday, very curious. Buck said yesterday that they already know who they want to start the game but won't say. I'm ready to let Strop go, pretty sure it will happen. It could even be as soon as when Chen is ready.

I agree with almost all of this. Except I'd try to keep Dickerson because I don't think McLouth is any kind of center fielder any more. Five years ago he was a terrible CFer. I'd put McLouth there for a game or two until someone could come up from AAA, but you need some kind of solution and Dickerson doesn't have any more options, right?

At this point I have no problem letting Reimold go. Strop, too. And as nice as it would be to have Ishikawa around as a spare part you don't reserve a 25-man spot for a backup first baseman, nor do you DH a modern Mike Squires.

I think when Roberts comes back they will let Ishikawa go and keep Flaherty up here to give us some middle infield help. I doubt Brian will job right back into playing everyday and we could play him at 2nd say 5 days a week and Dh him one day. Flarerty could play 2nd two days and DH two days if he stays hitting well. Dickerson hasn't shown much lately so use Flaherty who is playing well as the DH. Friday is an intersting spot they could use TJ but about 4 innings is about all you would expect to get, not that guys like Arrieta will get u anymore. Jake has pitched well vs the Yanks but that don't mean a lot really. They could go TJ 4 and Gausman 3 but then you don't have a long man for Saturday unless you send Gausman down.

Archived