srock

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BABIP by month:

April .154

May .226

June .327

A few home runs and some better luck aren't going to persuade me. His offense sucks. His ISO is actually lower this year, so far.

What am I supposed to be gleaning from that information? BABIP is a function of luck (and defense) for a pitcher, but for a hitter it's a much bigger indicator of skill. What you've shown me is that Ryan is improving every month, that doesn't prove one thing about him being luckier. And home runs have nothing to do with BABIP. They're just icing on the cake.

How much do you guys expect Roberts to produce, if healthy?

Yeah, easy to criticize my projections while keeping quiet with your own.

Split the difference on my posts. I say that BRob won't be any better than .675 in a Statistically significant sample size (call it 100 AB's)

People act like Dustin Pedroia is joining the team.

I dont' think BRob will hit nearly well enough to make up for his defense.

How much do you guys expect Roberts to produce, if healthy?

To be honest, I have no idea. He'll hit much better than Flaherty and Casilla have to date, however, if you look at their overall season numbers (as opposed to what they've done recently).

Split the difference on my posts. I say that BRob won't be any better than .675 in a Statistically significant sample size (call it 100 AB's)

His defense looked pretty good in the first three games of the year. He turned 5 DP's in 3 games, including a couple of tough ones. Offensively, I projected him under .700 before the year started, but was surprised how good he looked in those three April games. So, we'll see.

What am I supposed to be gleaning from that information? BABIP is a function of luck (and defense) for a pitcher, but for a hitter it's a much bigger indicator of skill. What you've shown me is that Ryan is improving every month, that doesn't prove one thing about him being luckier.

It's a function of luck for both, and skill plays into it, which is why (for both pitchers and hitters) you have to look at batted ball stats. His IFFB% is way up, his LD% is up marginally, he is getting more infield hits, and he's hitting more ground balls. Doesn't really seem like he's hitting much better other than the fact he's had a smattering of home runs. He's always had some kind of power, and he seems pull happy, so it's not surprising he eventually ran into a few balls.

And home runs have nothing to do with BABIP. They're just icing on the cake.

This isn't really much icing.

I love the Orioles and I want them to succeed but I cannot root for Brian Roberts. He signed a $40 million contract then missed a ton of time for hitting himself in the head with a bat. In my opinion, his body is breaking down after years of steroid use. After stealing $40 million from the Orioles the least he can do is come back and help them win.

He seems like a nice man and I respect the charity work he has done.

There, two nice things in one post.

He seems to care deeply for his wife.

He gets a nice tan living in Sarasota year round. For a small man, he has well developed muscles.

See, there is more.

I know BRob is a fan favorite, but given his age and questions about health/durability and he's at the end of his contract and will want $$$$$.

Maybe the best option is to trade him for the best offer on the table?????

No one. No one, would trade anything for Brian Roberts. Unless we paid all the rest of his money.

I love the Orioles and I want them to succeed but I cannot root for Brian Roberts. He signed a $40 million contract then missed a ton of time for hitting himself in the head with a bat. In my opinion, his body is breaking down after years of steroid use. After stealing $40 million from the Orioles the least he can do is come back and help them win.

Stealing? Oh boy here we go again. Where is Cindy? Roberts didn't steal anything.Peter A offered Roberts that amount of money. Yes he did have a concussion and

maybe whacking himself in the batting helmet did cause that or helped cause it.

But didnt he hit his head when he slid into base? I can't remember the details.

But it is just wrong to say a player is stealing from the owner when the owner

gave him that amount of money. IMO

I don't think that anyone requires predictions or prognostication here. I mean it is ok if you want to offer yours. Not too many folks I know care too much about that though.

I don't think that anyone requires predictions or prognostication here. I mean it is ok if you want to offer yours. Not too many folks I know care too much about that though.

Exactly, I just know Brob will hit better then 600 ops and he can match any hot streak that Flaherty has. Just don't try to put numbers infront of me decressing each time while you try to prove your point. I don't believe in early season predictions and I really could careless for predicting players stats in the preseason due to health etc just to many variables. I do think past stats give you a mean in which players will hit though but only in that respective league. You have AAAA players you mash in the minors then when they come up produce squat.

Stealing? Oh boy here we go again. Where is Cindy? Roberts didn't steal anything.Peter A offered Roberts that amount of money. Yes he did have a concussion and

maybe whacking himself in the batting helmet did cause that or helped cause it.

But didnt he hit his head when he slid into base? I can't remember the details.

But it is just wrong to say a player is stealing from the owner when the owner

gave him that amount of money. IMO

Yes. And as I've stated before, Roberts signed that extension before the 2009 season, in February of said year.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/2009/02/orioles_brian_roberts_speaks.html

He followed that up with what was arguably the best year of his career, setting the all-time major league record for doubles in a season by a switch-hitter (56.)

At that point, I didn't hear anyone complaining about Roberts' extension. On the contrary, Roberts and Marakis' long-term extensions (both signed in the same off-season between 2008 and 2009) were viewed as a commitment by the front office to keep 2 major components of the Orioles' young nucleus here for a long time.

Roberts' extension and guaranteed money that he has received is/was no different than any other major league baseball player's contract of guaranteed money. It just so happens that Roberts has sustained injury after injury between 2010 and 2013 that nobody could have foreseen when he signed the contract extension in February of 2009.

Yes. And as I've stated before, Roberts signed that extension before the 2009 season, in February of said year.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/2009/02/orioles_brian_roberts_speaks.html

He followed that up with what was arguably the best year of his career, setting the all-time major league record for doubles in a season by a switch-hitter (56.)

At that point, I didn't hear anyone complaining about Roberts' extension. On the contrary, Roberts and Marakis' long-term extensions (both signed in the same off-season between 2008 and 2009) were viewed as a commitment by the front office to keep 2 major components of the Orioles' young nucleus here for a long time.

Roberts' extension and guaranteed money that he has received is/was no different than any other major league baseball player's contract of guaranteed money. It just so happens that Roberts has sustained injury after injury between 2010 and 2013 that nobody could have foreseen when he signed the contract extension in February of 2009.

I would have to assume the Orioles has an insurance policy on the contract to cover long term disability, as they did with Albert Belle.

Archived