Matt Wieters WAR Is Officially 0.0

AJismyhero

260-280 feet to the corner, with a starting velocity of about 130 MPH (which is about as hard as you can hit a baseball)

The ball would hit the RF wall in about 2.2 seconds (assuming the ball travels about 320 feet - ball travels on a curved path). 0.5 seconds to field the ball and chuck it to the 1B. 1.8 seconds for the ball to travel from the RF to 1B. That's 4.5 seconds. A slow runner can easily take this long.

The Lombardi story was hit to left field. And he stood at the plate watching his not-quite-a-homer until it was obvious it wasn't. So the question is could the fielding of the ball, and relay from LF to first take a shorter amount of time than a guy slower than Matt Wieters takes to run to first? I think it could.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know how much time Wieters spends studying opposing pitchers, compared to other players on the team. Do you? I agree that Wieters has other things to study that, IMO, are more important in the scheme of things. l already said that. So why the snarky response?
I don't appreciate people putting words in my mouth. You said, "I don't think we really know that Wieters doesn't spend time studying the opposing pitchers." Please show me in my post where I said anything like that. Simple theory. He probably concentrates more on catching prep than hitting prep. You think that's a wild and crazy supposition?

The Lombardi story was hit to left field. And he stood at the plate watching his not-quite-a-homer until it was obvious it wasn't. So the question is could the fielding of the ball, and relay from LF to first take a shorter amount of time than a guy slower than Matt Wieters takes to run to first? I think it could.

Ok lets redo the numbers: 280 feet to the corner, flyball, so hangtime is probably around 4 seconds. However, he was lollygagging for 2.5-3 of those seconds. So it bounces off the wall, LFer fields and throws to 1B in about 2.4 seconds. So assuming a clean pick, you still come up with the same numbers - around 4.5 seconds from the time he starts running till the ball reaches 1B, which is basically Matt Wieters speed.

I don't appreciate people putting words in my mouth. You said, "I don't think we really know that Wieters doesn't spend time studying the opposing pitchers." Please show me in my post where I said anything like that. Simple theory. He probably concentrates more on catching prep than hitting prep. You think that's a wild and crazy supposition?

Jeez, I write a post that is 90% in support of your position and you complain about how I worded the other 10%. Carry on, I have better things to do than discuss this further.

Archived