Matt Wieters WAR Is Officially 0.0

AJismyhero

Absolutely. The only thing hes above avg at is throwing out runners and who knows how much matt himself is responsible for. Could be the coaching staffs research. His offense is putrid, he calls bad games, and he doesnt help his pitchers get strikes with framing. We should trade him while he still has value

Lets say they do trade him down the line. Who would replace Wieters as the starting catcher?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching Wieters this year, I'm starting to warm to the idea that he's just not that good: not enough power to make up for his sub-.300 OBP, and while he is good at throwing out base runners, and decent at blocking pitches, I don't think he's good at any of the other things catchers do. I don't think he's good at framing pitches, and I don't think he's good at calling games.

Prior to this season I would have been happy to learn that he had been signed to a long extension, now I'd be dismayed by that.

Edit: Also, he has no control over it, but he might be the slowest baserunner in the entire league. I'm sure it costs us a couple runs a year, at least.

Lets say they do trade him down the line. Who would replace Wieters as the starting catcher?

If there is somebody out there that values him highly, I think you could get more than a fair return for him. I'd be okay with riding out our internal options and then signing a FA in the offseason.

I don't actually understand pitch framing. And I did not say it could mean anything. I am pretty sure that Matt is not bad defensively.

I didn't say you did and it's not counted in rWAR anyways. rWAR is showing him about 7 runs below average this year where it's consistently shown him above average in previous years. I've summarized some of the things DRS is and maybe looking at. I wouldn't necessarily take this years DRS as ground truth or even an alarm, but it's certainly something to pay attention to imo. DRS may be flawed, but it's far more comprehensive than UZR.

I didn't say you did and it's not counted in rWAR anyways. rWAR is showing him about 7 runs below average this this year where it's consistently shown him above average in previous years. I've summarized some of the things DRS is and maybe looking at. I wouldn't necessarily take this years DRS as ground truth or even an alarm, but it's certainly something to pay attention to imo. DRS may be flawed, but it's far more comprehensive than UZR.

This makes sense. Thanks.

As far as I am concerned that is an indicator that perhaps the replacement level needs adjusting, at least for catchers. Despite his batting average, does anyone SERIIOUSLY believe that the offensive and defensive value he has given to the team is exactly equal to some average available-for-a-pittance AAAA type catcher that we could find roaming the streets of Scranton or Pawtucket or Portland?

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

Uh yea. Have you watched him this year? He's basically an automatic out with the bat. On any given night he's our worst or second worst bat in the order. Offensively he's pathetic It's not like his defense has been amazing either, it's good but not out of this world.

Meh, at least Gausman is pitching well.

This thread is like your electronic version of a snuggie, warm milk, and the latest episode of Downton Abbey, isn't it?

Welcome home, Pedro. Take a load off.

And as usual I'm the only one that can't take pot shots because its been decided I'm the bad guy.

Archived