Matt Wieters WAR Is Officially 0.0

AJismyhero

I like Wieters, I think he's fine. But, he's not going to be worth $100+ million. If he takes a home town discount, I'd love to keep him here for a while. But he doesn't merit Posey money or Mauer money.

I say keep him. Extend him for the right price, or let him walk. Don't trade him. We wouldn't get what he's worth to us anyway...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Wieters, I think he's fine. But, he's not going to be worth $100+ million. If he takes a home town discount, I'd love to keep him here for a while. But he doesn't merit Posey money or Mauer money.

I say keep him. Extend him for the right price, or let him walk. Don't trade him. We wouldn't get what he's worth to us anyway...

Even the wildest Wieter's fanatic isn't talking about giving anywhere near 100 million dollars.

Even the wildest Wieter's fanatic isn't talking about giving anywhere near 100 million dollars.

What would constitute a reasonable extension, and would there even be a point in extending him given when he'll hit FA? He's not looking like someone who's going to age all that well.

I should hope not.

But allegedly smart GMs have given some very questionable contracts over the years. I'm sure Duquette is a smart guy, I just he uses the smarts he has.

What would constitute a reasonable extension, and would there even be a point in extending him given when he'll hit FA? He's not looking like someone who's going to age all that well.

Yeah, I agree. The figures that I recall are around 5/55 to 5/70 or so with not too many people wanting to keep him past his early 30's. Personally, I would not even do that. I'd probably keep him another year and just see how it goes.

I should hope not.

But allegedly smart GMs have given some very questionable contracts over the years. I'm sure Duquette is a smart guy, I just he uses the smarts he has.

Even if it's shown a guy could get a high contract in free agency, that doesn't make it a good contract for us. I agree with you that it'll be interesting see what the organization does with him. I'm more inclined to just play it year by year and catch him into the ground and/or trade him at the end (if there's anything left).

That said, if he finishes strong and had high interest on the trade market in the offseason, I'd look at trading him for a good return.

Really? You don't have to look far for the Wieters apologists.

So I guess an apologist is one who won't rip a guy's head off for having a few down months? Otherwise the consensus here seems to mainly be that Wieters is a pretty good catcher overall, not a great hitter by any stretch, but over the last 3-4 years is generally an above-average guy for his position with some pretty big strengths to go along with some weaknesses.

So I guess an apologist is one who won't rip a guy's head off for having a few down months? Otherwise the consensus here seems to mainly be that Wieters is a pretty good catcher overall, not a great hitter by any stretch, but over the last 3-4 years is generally an above-average guy for his position with some pretty big strengths to go along with some weaknesses.

A few down months? Come on Drungo. I've pointed out before that Andino out OPS'd him for some months last year.

A few down months? Come on Drungo. I've pointed out before that Andino out OPS'd him for some months last year.

You can cherry pick stuff about almost anyone. Who really cares if someone has a .600 OPS one month and a .800 another, just so long as the total comes out to something ok in the end?

You can cherry pick stuff about almost anyone. Who really cares if someone has a .600 OPS one month and a .800 another, just so long as the total comes out to something ok in the end?

I kinda care. I mean, I don't like giving half a seasons worth of at bats to someone who puts up a sub .700 OPS.

I kinda care. I mean, I don't like giving half a seasons worth of at bats to someone who puts up a sub .700 OPS.

OK, but Wieters hasn't had a sub-.700 season since 2010. This is his M.O. -- he always stinks during May, June, and July, then turns it on in August and September and finishes with respectable final numbers. I don't know why it happens that way, and it's certainly aggravating when he's in his cold spells, but usually by the end of the season he's a positive contributor overall at the plate.

Archived