On fire: Ohlmann and Hoes

Frobby

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Ohlman's long term position C? Just wanted to know if he is more likely looking at moving to 1B or if he is good enough defensively to stay put.

I have to think Hoes is a part of a package for a SP or RP. He is what he is, but he could slot into a lot of line-ups as the second hitter and play just fine at the ML level.

Marin - glad someone else noticed this kid - very impressed with his season so far. At age 19 and doing that well at Delmarva, good to hear his defense at least from an error perspective is good.

Obviously Ohlman's value is significantly higher as a catcher, but if his power continues to develop, I'd like to see him get a chance out in right field as well as catcher. He's never been very impressive behind the plate and few outside of the organization think he can stick back there long term. I have no problem continuing to play him back there but at some point they may need to see how his bat plays without the struggles of catching.

Obviously Ohlman's value is significantly higher as a catcher, but if his power continues to develop, I'd like to see him get a chance out in right field as well as catcher. He's never been very impressive behind the plate and few outside of the organization think he can stick back there long term. I have no problem continuing to play him back there but at some point they may need to see how his bat plays without the struggles of catching.

He is a big strong kid.

I understand the sentiment to let him have a great year at Bowie and also to let his catching legs get back to work behind the plate, but I really can't recall a hitting prospect in our organization being this hot offensively and not getting promoted. I think it will happen in the next two weeks.

Everyone wants to promote everyone after a couple of hot weeks or a hot month. Look at Delmonico. He has cooled off considerably. Walker just had a very poor June and has had one hot week in July. Ohlman has been hitting the ball really well for a month but he's striking out close to 1/3 of the time, plus he's not even catching regularly yet after coming back from a shoulder injury. Enough with the promotion talk! Almost all of these guys have ups and downs during the season. Let Ohlman put up a big year in Frederick. If they want to promote him, fine, but I see no hurry. All three of these guys will undoubtedly open next season in Bowie whether they get there this year or not.

I am fine with letting Walker stay down for the rest of the year, but lets not sit here and think it is irrational to promote Ohlman.

May - .353/.476/.618/1.094

June - .356/.449/.656/1.104

July - .393/.452/.857/1.309

1 K per 3.6 ABs yes, but

1 BB per 6.1 ABs

1 HR per 15 ABs

He has had a huge season at Frederick - clearly he has sustained this over a period of time and he has earned a promotion. I would like to see him get a month and a half at Bowie - start next year at Bowie and maybe he is ready for Norfolk or maybe his prospect status jumps and he nets us ML help for the stretch drive next year....either way it ain't a hot month - it is two scorching months.

Personally, I'd like to see Ohlman spend more time at this level to try to cut down on the K's. To me, it would be a classically Oriole mistake to promote him before he's mastered a fundamental aspect of hitting in his league.

I am fine with letting Walker stay down for the rest of the year, but lets not sit here and think it is irrational to promote Ohlman.

May - .353/.476/.618/1.094

June - .356/.449/.656/1.104

July - .393/.452/.857/1.309

1 K per 3.6 ABs yes, but

1 BB per 6.1 ABs

1 HR per 15 ABs

He has had a huge season at Frederick - clearly he has sustained this over a period of time and he has earned a promotion. I would like to see him get a month and a half at Bowie - start next year at Bowie and maybe he is ready for Norfolk or maybe his prospect status jumps and he nets us ML help for the stretch drive next year....either way it ain't a hot month - it is two scorching months.

He's hotter than Alicia Keys.

I'm an Ohlman fan, but my gut says - It's more important for him to enjoy having a very successful season than to promote him this season. Plus, he's still got plenty to work on - his defense and cutting down on so's.

Only 34 AB's in May but in total, he's up to about 2 months of excellent offensive production. I wouldn't think it was awful if he was promoted. I just have no problem if the O's keep him in Frederick til the end of this month or even the whole year. His total games caught in the minors adds up to about one full year. Of course, he can learn defense at AA also.

Well - I could go both ways with it as well I suppose...just glad to see him producing.

Archived