Midseason Top 10?

ChuckS

Here is my stab at it.

1. Dylan Bundy: Still number 1. Have to assume he comes back the same player after TJ.

2. Kevin Gausman: May lose rookie status by the end of the season, but for now he is the bonafide # 2.

3. Jonathan Schoop: Another injured player, but based on what we saw in the WBC and early on, nothing to suggest he doesn't belong here.

4. Nick Delmonico: Showing some real power in Frederick. I don't think I've seen a player this young in the O's system showing this kind of power in awhile.

5. Henry Urrutia: Appears as though his bat will play in the big leagues now. I'm sure I will get some arguments having him this high due to his age.

6. Eduardo Rodriguez: Progressing nicely in his second full season. I believe is promotion to AA is premature, but hopefully he is up to the challenge.

7. Joshua Hader: Best prospect in Delmarva. Should be able to climb these rankings if he can sustain his success at higher levels.

8. Christian Walker: Looks like a pure hitter. Like to see more power out of a 1B and already 22 playing in A ball has to limit his upside somewhat.

9. Zachary Davies: Getting it done. Not a flashy prospect, but the results don't lie.

10. Adrian Marin: Solid first professional season so far.

Honorable mention: L.J. Hoes

This is my take based on the production we have seen from these guys through half a season. I'm not going to put any of our new draftees in there until we see them play at least a little bit of professional ball.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good list 1-9. But I just think the debate in the system comes between 10-15ish. I would have Hoes 10. For some reason he always gets lumped with Avery and they really are two different players. I'd also have Ohlman and Wright above Marin but it's good to see a deeper system than expected.

Good list 1-9. But I just think the debate in the system comes between 10-15ish. I would have Hoes 10. For some reason he always gets lumped with Avery and they really are two different players. I'd also have Ohlman and Wright above Marin but it's good to see a deeper system than expected.

They get lumped together because they are both african american outfielders that were drafted the same year. I agree that Hoes is the much better prospect at this point, but what is his upside? Fourth outfielder? With no power that is what he is as a corner outfielder. It's too bad he couldn't stick at second.

I totally forgot about Wright (he might have snuck in there at 9 or 10) and Ohlman I just don't know enough about. Doesn't seem like he is going to stick at catcher and he is already 22. He is putting up some nice numbers in Frederick though.

Depth wise, we do look a lot better than we did at the end of the 2012 season.

We'd have to hear from the scouts, but Ohlman's offensive production at Frederick is light years ahead of Walker's and, for now, it is Ohlman playing the premium defensive position. Ohlman is only a couple months older and, IMO, would deserve the higher ranking.

The injuries to Schoop and Bundy are a big shame, but the lists being contemplated plus our 2013 draft picks makes for a very solid top 10 IMO though we are likely to lose Gausman and, again, have to deal with the injury uncertainties.

It would be nice to see an international signee provide an additional boost to our top 10-15, but we might have to wait another year or two for DD's and FF's international efforts to provide that type of return.

5. Henry Urrutia: Appears as though his bat will play in the big leagues now. I'm sure I will get some arguments having him this high due to his age.
Actually, my argument would be that he should be higher. From what I've heard and read about him, I think he has more upside and chance of hitting his upside than anyone on the list not named Bundy or Gausman.

That is a fairly solid list. I would not put Davies anywhere near the top 20, slight build with modest velocity and no projection. For pitchers only, Wright, Kline, Bridwell, Hobgood, Tyler Wilson, Ben Parry and Devin Jones are ranked higher for me for now. I would even prefer Matt Price and Lex Rutledge over Davies. If Davies can move up in the next few years and keep getting hitters out, then I would consider him higher than 20-30 in my rankings. He will have to earn it over time without the tools and physicality.

I think Hoes has slipped a good bit. His power just has not developed, and the other tools are average at best. He is a 4A type to me. At this point, I have Avery and Ohlman higher than Hoes. Especially if Ohlman moves out from behind the plate.

The farm is barren for the moment, but this draft appears to be solid. Six of my top 30 are 2013 draftees. It would be seven if Dosch signs.

That is a fairly solid list. I would not put Davies anywhere near the top 20, slight build with modest velocity and no projection. For pitchers only, Wright, Kline, Bridwell, Hobgood, Tyler Wilson, Ben Parry and Devin Jones are ranked higher for me for now. I would even prefer Matt Price and Lex Rutledge over Davies. If Davies can move up in the next few years and keep getting hitters out, then I would consider him higher than 20-30 in my rankings. He will have to earn it over time without the tools and physicality.

I think Hoes has slipped a good bit. His power just has not developed, and the other tools are average at best. He is a 4A type to me. At this point, I have Avery and Ohlman higher than Hoes. Especially if Ohlman moves out from behind the plate.

The farm is barren for the moment, but this draft appears to be solid. Six of my top 30 are 2013 draftees. It would be seven if Dosch signs.

How is Avery higher than Hoes?

How is Avery higher than Hoes?

For me, Avery is a better defender and has far superior speed. Hoes ranked a little higher in the past years with the assumption his power would come around. It has not. They are both 23 years old. I would rather have Avery than Hoes. I think he has more value at this point.

I realize Hoes has hit for a better average than Avery to this point at Norfolk. Avery did hit fairly well at Bowie, and he isn't the first 23 year old to struggle at the AAA level.

I believe Avery has more chance to have an impact at the ML level. Does a 4th OF in the ML outrank a 4A guy?

Knocking Davies' velo (89-91) and then saying you have Bennett Parry (86-88) ahead of him makes absolutely no sense. Wilson also doesn't throw appreciably harder than Davies and, even as a pitchability guy, his secondaries aren't as good. Jones throws harder but his build is just as slight as Davies (he's two inches and twenty pounds heavier) and has nowhere near Zach's command. Arguments can be made for the other pitchers you list but Davies has a real swing and miss pitch which I haven't seen Kline throw (haven't seen him this year though), Bridwell hasn't gotten close to Davies' results, and Hobgood is coming back from serious injury. I wouldn't put any of them above Davies. I am a big Mike Wright fan, but Davies should be in that next group after Bundy/Gausman, along with Wright, Hader, EdRod, and Hunter Harvey.

For reference, here's the rough guess at a top 20 I made after the draft, assuming Gausman graduates:

1. DBundy

2. Schoop

3. Delmonico

4. EdRod

5. Harvey

6. Hader

7. Urrutia

8. Walker

9. Wright

10. Hoes

11. Hart

12. Marin

13. Davies

14. Ohlman

15. Sisco

16. Berry

17. Kline

18. Tarpley

19. Seabrooke

20. Wilson

If I were to update it today, I think I'd move Ohlman and Urrutia up, and probably Walker down. It's amazing how much less top-heavy this system is right now compared to even this offseason. Sure, there's not really a ton of premium talent right now, but there's a bunch of guys who are developing into good players. I think we're starting to see the effects of the new development program at work with guys like Ohlman and Davies, guys who always had a lot of potential but who are now converting it into results.

Maybe not for the top 10, but we should keep an eye on Luc Rennie today.

After two dominant appearances in Aberdeen, the 19-year-old was jumped to Frederick. After a solid two-inning appearance out of the bullpen, he's starting today. Would be pretty remarkable to have two 20-year-olds (Ed Rod and Davies) and a 19-year-old anchoring the Keys' rotation.

Interesting. Seems like he's just making an emergency start though. I mean, this guy has never seen Delmarva. Of course, if he pitches well, he might stick around for awhile.

With Tyler Wilson successful in Bowie and Petersime nothing more than org filler, if Rennie can perform they may find a spot for him. I don't know much about him from a scouting perspective, but his 13 K's in less than 12 innings and .205 batting average against are promising.

Just another interesting story line in our farm system. Always appreciated.

I realize Hoes has hit for a better average than Avery to this point at Norfolk. Avery did hit fairly well at Bowie, and he isn't the first 23 year old to struggle at the AAA level.

I think you are downplaying Hoes' ability a tad too much. Avery might not be the first 23yo to struggle at Norfolk, but Hoes is 23 and NOT struggling at Norfolk.

I like our prospects in the lists above, but Hunter Harvey was the 22nd overall pick in the most recent draft. His prospect status should certainly be in our top five. IMO, some lists above with Harvey below Ohlman, Hoes and Urrutia are off. It also seems very likely to me that our supplemental pick will rank inside our top 10 - certainly ahead of Hoes.

Which would you have rather had entering the last draft - Hoes or a supplemental first round pick? I'd take the pick in a heartbeat. I would probably take the pick over Urrutia.

I think my top 10 would look something like the following:

Gausman, Bundy, Schoop, Harvey, Delmonico, Hader, EdRod, Hart, Urrutia, Ohlman

Archived