Team believes that Wieters will forego long-term deal

jabba72

I definitely think that the Orioles should let him walk when the time comes. His offensive production isn't enough to justify a large contract extension, and he doesn't strike me as the type of player who is likely to age well.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sunk cost? How is he a sunk cost? He has provided production well over what they have paid him and are under not obligation to even tender him a contract next season.

I meant the fact that he didn't meet people's expectations when he was a prospect is irrelevant to his his worth now. Maybe the term sunk cost wasn't the best way to say that.

Reynolds single handedly won some games against the Yankees last September. Having a hot month is not the same as carrying the team. I must have been on vacation the week or month when Wieters was carrying our offense on his back. I never said Reynolds carried the team for a month. Yeah, I have my own clear definition of what "carrying a team" is and Wieters has never done it for anything close to a month.

Well, you can define it however you'd like, but in the final 33 games of 2011, Wirters hit 11 homers, carried a 1.005 OPS, and the team finished 21-12 after being 48-81 before that. For me, that's within my definition of carrying a team for a month.

Wieters had 12 homers and 31 RBI over the last 2 months.

Over the same period, Reynolds had 14 homers and 31 RBI.

J.J. Hardy had 12 homer and 35 RBI over the same period.

Noland Reimold had 7 homers and 27 RBI over the same period.

In my opinion, Wieters had two good months. He did not stand head and shoulders above his teammates and did not "carry the team".

Reimold had a .973 OPS in September with 5 homers and 17 RBI in 22 games. Does anyone on here remember him carrying the team?

The team finshed well. It must have been because of Wieters!!!!

Wieters had 7 homers and 32 RBI's over the first two months of this year. He seems to start fast and have a nothing middle and a good ending.

Wieters had 12 homers and 31 RBI over the last 2 months.

Over the same period, Reynolds had 14 homers and 31 RBI.

J.J. Hardy had 12 homer and 35 RBI over the same period.

Noland Reimold had 7 homers and 27 RBI over the same period.

In my opinion, Wieters had two good months. He did not stand head and shoulders above his teammates and did not "carry the team".

Reimold had a .973 OPS in September with 5 homers and 17 RBI in 22 games. Does anyone on here remember him carrying the team?

The team finshed well. It must have been because of Wieters!!!!

Seems to me this is sleight of hand. The statement had to do with "carrying the team for a month". So why are you talking about two months?

In any event, if your point is that Wieters has never carried a team for a month to the extent that Davis has, or to the extent that Reynolds did for two weeks, consider that point conceded. But the point here is that Wieters is capable of getting quite hot, so the folks who are criticizing him for having a sub-.700 OPS right now should realize that his numbers could look very different at the end of the year, and that it's premature to write off Wieters' season. To me, in context, that's all Palmer and Thorne were saying, and there's nothing "moronic" about it, though we'll have to see if Wieters heats up or not.

Archived