Team believes that Wieters will forego long-term deal

jabba72

I think the Orioles drafted four catchers in the first ten rounds this year for a reason. Hoping to have a replacement for Wieters when he leaves in in two years.

I think we are wise to only offer him a six years. Wieters wont age gracefully.

I would bet we draft catcher pretty heavy next year also.

Very unlikely that a HS player drafted this year will be ready to replace Wieters if he walks.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"solid numbers for a catcher, but below expectations considering Wieters' high draft status (fifth overall in 2007) and his ranking as the sport's top prospect by Baseball America before the 2009 season."

Sunk cost.

"solid numbers for a catcher, but below expectations considering Wieters' high draft status (fifth overall in 2007) and his ranking as the sport's top prospect by Baseball America before the 2009 season."

Sunk cost.

Sunk cost? How is he a sunk cost? He has provided production well over what they have paid him and are under not obligation to even tender him a contract next season.

Sunk cost.

That is an offensive minded write up. Great defensive catcher who even if he hits at a slightly better than replacement value, he will have value. Is that value $16M+ per season? For me that is a pass considering that his bat will not grant the O's any flexibility to move him to DH if his knees or arm go. With that said, someone is going to give him a huge contract and be very happy to get him. Far from a sunk cost or bust IMO. Go look back at the last 10 years of draft history and give me 30 names that were better 1st round picks than Matt.

Also, if you want to press the issue than talk about trading him moving forward. See if he really wants to work something out prior to forcing our hand. I would trade him for a decent package of your players before I let the guy walk for a big pay day.

Sunk cost? How is he a sunk cost? He has provided production well over what they have paid him and are under not obligation to even tender him a contract next season.

I do not know what people are seeing or watching. I can name a ton of players picked in the top-5 of the MLB draft who haven't done anything at the ML level.

That whole post...100%. There's zero incentive for Wieters to sign long term. He's at the absolute low of his value right now. The contract he'd get now, he'll get then, barring injury. For Matt, it just makes sense to wait and see if he can up his offensive game.

There is a good reason to sign now. If he does a Brian Roberts and everything starts breaking he will get next to nothing when he becomes a free agent. He would make more during his abitration years plus be guranteed into his free agency years. I actually think he is stupid for not signing now.

I do not know what people are seeing or watching. I can name a ton of players picked in the top-5 of the MLB draft who haven't done anything at the ML level.

Loewen, Hobgood and to some extent Matusz on the O's alone.

I'm fine with just letting him walk after 2015. We'll get his best years. Someone else will overpay for the 30-34 years. Save the money for the real franchise players like Davis and Machado.

Pretty much my thoughts. Just good business. If it makes sense to trade him after 2014 then look a that as well.

This actually makes sense for both parties if you ask me.

From Weiters perspective his offensive numbers what they are, his value is not nearly as much as it could be with a solid season or two of better numbers. In other words his value really can only go up from here IMO.

From the O's perspective, Weiters is unlikely to sign unless your throwing a number at him that is higher than it should be based on his offensive statistics. If I am the O's GM Matt Weiters has done nothing to date offensively that would justify me sticking my neck out and overpaying him. One sure way to screw up a franchise is to pay good to decent guys as if they are great ones. Unless your the MFY, Red Soxs or Dodgers that is.

To me the O's should take the Ozzie Newsome approach to Weiters. Right player, Right price. Figure out what his value is, make an offer in that range and if he does not take it, let the market sort it out. Between now and 2015 the O's would be wise to start planning some kind of backup plan though.

I didn't read the article yet, but I'm confused by the title. So, the O's are offering a long term deal and WIETERS is the one saying no? If so, this is truly Bizarro World.

Let's pay a huge contract for a career .256 hitting catcher. While we're at it, let's bring back Kevin Gregg and and Mike DeJean to shore up the pen. :rolleyes:

As stated, I haven't read the article yet. But if Wieters is the one thinking he can get a better deal elsewhere, then we truly have a piece of work behind home plate. I LIKE MATT! But this is nuts. Lets's not be Charlie Brown...again. But now I'm curious, who is Matt's agent? I'd like to see his wife- he's got a great sales pitch.

Wieters value is low, but it might take more than a five or six year deal now. He is an Oriole for the next two seasons after this one and then a FA. If he is viewed as a front line starting catcher, he'll get more a four to six year deal at THAT time allowing him to earn premium $ later into his career.

MW's offense is really subpar at this point and if he wants to take his talents somewhere else in a few years, I'm not sure that the overall production is a high bar to clear.

I didn't read the article yet, but I'm confused by the title. So, the O's are offering a long term deal and WIETERS is the one saying no? If so, this is truly Bizarro World.

Let's pay a huge contract for a career .256 hitting catcher. While we're at it, let's bring back Kevin Gregg and and Mike DeJean to shore up the pen. :rolleyes:

As stated, I haven't read the article yet. But if Wieters is the one thinking he can get a better deal elsewhere, then we truly have a piece of work behind home plate. I LIKE MATT! But this is nuts. Lets's not be Charlie Brown...again. But now I'm curious, who is Matt's agent? I'd like to see his wife- he's got a great sales pitch.

I think the underlying point is that the sides are too far apart on money...which makes perfect sense to me from either side of this issue. Boras is his agent.

O's are believed to have offered a 6 year deal. His agent is Boras. It must be a rule for Boras to only accept clients who will test Free Agency or something. It sure seems that way.

O's are believed to have offered a 6 year deal. His agent is Boras. It must be a rule for Boras to only accept clients who will test Free Agency or something. It sure seems that way.

I figured it was Boras. But who is he trying to kid? Matt seems smart enough to know how the game works, and smart enough to know that the O's are going to take care of him more than any other team in Baseball, and certainly more that MR. Boras. But maybe I'm wrong, and Matt still thinks of himself as the next great hall of fame catcher. I'd like Matt to see what Buster Posy got, and then work his way down- about 30-35% down would be about right. And that's nothing to squak at. (For you non math majors, that means I think Matt should get 65-70% of what Buster got, whatever that was).

Archived