Team believes that Wieters will forego long-term deal

jabba72

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be more serious about signing Davis at the end of this season. I want to see him keep it together for a full 162.

I mean, I think if Davis finished the season with the numbers he has right now most of us would have been satisfied with 30+ HRs and a .300+ average. I'm at the point where anything he adds to his current totals is gravy.

Triandos: 12.9 WAR in 8 years in Baltimore

Wieters: 12.7 WAR in 4.5 years in Baltimore

Hoiles: 23.5 WAR in 10 years in Baltimore

For now, give me Hoiles.

Absolutely. Hoiles blows Wieters' offensive production out of the water.

Favorite all time Oriole

Does anyone think it was just a coincidence that Ohlman is being kept at catcher despite the fact that he might move faster as a corner outfielder and that they drafted three high school catchers in the first six rounds of the draft?

Is Boras Yoko in this instance then?

To me, Yoko's (and John's) actions toward Cynthia and Julian were far more tragic than anything that she may have done to expedite the breakup of the Beatles.

Does anyone think it was just a coincidence that Ohlman is being kept at catcher despite the fact that he might move faster as a corner outfielder and that they drafted three high school catchers in the first six rounds of the draft?

From what I have read that is where the strength in the draft was.

I certainly don't think teams draft HS Catchers for anticipated need three + years out.

Now you might very well be on to something with Ohlman.

Matt doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will try to hold the team hostage, regardless of who his agent is. That said, if he tries to okay hardball and goes the free agent route, well, I'll wish him well and enjoy his time as an Oriole. No way I overpay for Matt.

Well then why does he have Scott Boras as his agent? What you're talking about is diametrically opposed to the Boras MO.

Maybe just a little bit

Good catchers and backups are always in short demands, just after TOR pitchers.

Even if Wieters was signed to a long term deal, I think they should always have people in line to step up, look at Ramos and the Nationals, McCann and Atlanta, its a tough position and these guys go down.

Another C acquired in the Chicago trade today. It does seem like the org is loading up on catchers...

I agree with Tony. The Orioles are protecting themselves for the future without Wieters. They dont like our catching talent in the minors and are moving fairly aggressively to get other options.

Wieters refusing to sign here would be the best thing the Orioles could ask for. He's a .230 hitter this year with a .285 OBP and Buck refuses to move him down in the lineup, although he is the worst hitter on our roster. Also, it is not like this is just a down year for him, his offense has gotten worse each year since he came up. He just plainly put is a terrible hitter. He can take up 15-20 mil of someone else's budget, but it shouldn't be ours. We could sign much better catchers for less than half the cost most likely...

Archived