O's Acquire Scott Feldman for Arrieta

AJismyhero

Not world beating, but if all it cost was a struggling reliever and a struggling pitcher who both weren't helping this club, I'm all for it. Shores up the 5th spot in the rotation. Chen comes back and shores up the middle of the rotation.

Tillman, Gonzalez, Chen, Hammel, and Feldman. Not world beating, but a rotation that can go 6-7IP and keep you in the game with this offense. Allows Britton and Gausman to go down the minors to work on their craft. And opens up a bullpen spot for an arm that can actually help this club.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with you about Arrieta, change may be his best shot at this point. I would still not be surprised if he turns into something. It seems premature to give up on Strop. My guess is that if he had options he wouldn't have been traded, but you can't carry him as mop up and you would lose him if he was DFA.. But then to throw money in too. .Yeah, weird. Not earth shatteringly stupid but seems like a lot.

Money was not in the deal. It was the ability to spend money. For basic math (and without knowing the actual amounts), the Cubs could only spend $5M, but the Orioles just sent them their $1M slot so now the Cubs can spend an extra $1M and the Orioles $1M less. No actual money was traded.

Seems like an extreme bargain to me. Strop was on the verge of DFA. Arrieta has shown time and again that he's not a ML SP. depending on how much Intl money, this is a steal.

Of course, I was hoping Britton would get a real shot.

I wonder if Hammel is on a short leash in the rotation.

I don't know about Ham being on ashort leash, but I bet Buck likes the fact that he's got Feldman breathing down his neck now...

As far as Arrieta and Strop go...that was just DD taking out the trash, there I said it

Os have sent intl signing bonus slots 3 and 4 to Cubs w Pedro Strop and Arrieta for Feldman and Clevenger. Clev to AAA.perr the Sun

I won't pretend to know the value of those slots, but I imagine it's minimal. At least we're not just selling it like the Marlins. :)

One thing to keep in mind about this particular deal is the timing. Doing a deal for Feldman right now gives the O's some immediate impact while giving us another month to play out the string a little bit to see what develops with guys like Hammel, Chen, Gausman, Britton, etc.

In other words, we can plug and play Feldman right now and it cost us nothing that would have eventually factored into a package for a high-end SP. And if over the next month, we can put together a playoff-caliber rotation out of the pieces we have in the organization (Tillman, Chen, Hammel, Gonzo, Feldman, Britton, Gausman), then we won't end up having to make that bigger splash for a SP like Garza or Gallardo or Lee. But if we have more injuries or a couple guys just aren't getting the job done, we still have time to make the bigger splash at the deadline if such a deal avails itself.

It's kind of like going out to buy some SuperGlue to try to put that vase back together first, instead of just biting the bullet and buying a new one. Or, for a more baseball-related analogy, like trying rest and therapy for that sore elbow instead of immediately going under the knife. Maybe that's all you need --- and if it works, you save a lot in the long run. If it doesn't work, you can still make the bigger move down the road.

I wonder what kind of conversations they had about Garza? Wonder if we settled for Feldman because the asking price for Garza was too high?

They will hold Garza for a King's ransom. If we wanted a pitcher now, it had to be Feldman. Garza likely will go at the deadline.

Archived