O's Acquire Scott Feldman for Arrieta

AJismyhero

Os have sent intl signing bonus slots 3 and 4 to Cubs w Pedro Strop and Arrieta for Feldman and Clevenger. Clev to AAA.perr the Sun

Orioles had slots 23, 53, 83, and 113. Slot 113 is worth $150,900. Slot 83 is worth $237,200. The Orioles still have slot 23 at $520,100 and 53 at $351,200. The Cubs were already at $4.5M (Baltimore $1.9M) for their draft pool so this isn't a big dent.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems like an extreme bargain to me. Strop was on the verge of DFA. Arrieta has shown time and again that he's not a ML SP.

This is where I am with the deal. Feldman is a solid pitcher, and we got him for two guys that in all likelihood, were not going to help us moving forward. I was surprised we had not DFA'd Strop by now and I just don't think Jake was ever going to get it done in Baltimore. He is talented, and maybe he just needs some new voices and a change of scenery. But he was never going to turn it around in Baltimore, IMO.

And we have to keep in mind that Jake is 27; he is not a prospect anymore. I like him, but he has had plenty of chances here. I wish both of them luck, and am happy that they were dealt to the NL.

I think this is a clear win for the O's.

Money was not in the deal. It was the ability to spend money. For basic math (and without knowing the actual amounts), the Cubs could only spend $5M, but the Orioles just sent them their $1M slot so now the Cubs can spend an extra $1M and the Orioles $1M less. No actual money was traded.

Thanks, I did understand that but I wasn't clear.

I guess I would be more jazzed if I thought Feldman was an upgrade. I feel like we gave up two guys with good stuff for someone that I am unsure will even make the team better today or in the future.

Not a fan of this trade. That seems like a lot for Scott Feldman.

I'm not in love with it, but probably because I think they waited too long and sold low on Arrieta. I didn't care what happened to Strop.

And the Joe Saunders deal last year was much better than this one. They only gave up Lindstrom in that deal. And not all that impressed with Feldman's body of work. He had one good year in Texas wrapped around a whole bunch of +5.00 ERA ones. And he got his brains beat in in the AL West. I don't think they gained a whole lot. I don't get this contention that he's "solid", other than he's having an ok year in the National League. Throw Steve Johnson out there in his place and he'll probably wind up doing just as well.

But all that said, let's see what he can do, I hope he proves me wrong.

Money was not in the deal. It was the ability to spend money. For basic math (and without knowing the actual amounts), the Cubs could only spend $5M, but the Orioles just sent them their $1M slot so now the Cubs can spend an extra $1M and the Orioles $1M less. No actual money was traded.

Rosenthal reporting the number is $380K more the Cubs can now spend.

I have no doubt. I don't think DD wants to get rid of any of our higher-end prospects.

Agreed. I would love to have Garza, but in the past, their asking price has been sky high. I have no doubt that it is the same this time around. We probably realistically do not have the prospects to get that one done.

BLUF: The Orioles were able to improve their starting rotation without losing anything of value for this year.

This is a classic mid-season Dan Duquette trade by acquiring a solid, if not overly sexy pitcher who will be a free agent at the end of the year but who can help the O's reach the playoffs this year.

Feldman has struggled a bit in his last seven starts with Chicago after getting off to a hot start when he went 4-3 with a 2.19 ERA through his first eight starts. He's gone 3-3 with a 4.97 ERA over his last seven starts but has averaged about six innings a start over this timeframe.

Feldman is a sinker, curve, cutter guy who also mixes in an occasional change up. His velocity has dropped a bit over the years and he now averages right around 90 MPH on his sinking fastball instead of the 92 MPH last season.

Feldman should give the Orioles a reliable starter who can go a solid six innings or more in most starts while keeping them in the game. He's a solid back of the rotation guy.

The Orioles also received minor league catcher-first baseman Steve Clevenge. Clevenger is a left-handed hitter who has hit well in AAA, but holds a .537 OPs in 229 major league PAs. He's thrown out just 13% of the base stealers in his major league time so he looks like minor league depth more than anything.

The Orioles gave up Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop, both of whom have struggled this year but who both throw in the mid-90s.

It will be interesting to see how the Orioles handle Zach Britton and Kevin Gausman after this acquisition. The Orioles could keep Gausman and use him as a multi-inning reliever or they could send him back down to AAA to start every 5th day. Britton has been very effective over short periods of time and the Orioles may consider keeping him in the pen as well. They could also send both down and have them start every 5th day at Norfolk and bring up Jon Rauch, Jairo Asencio or Adam Russell to replace Strop.

Overall though, I think this is a solid trade that will help the Orioles this season in their quest for the post season.

This is where I am with the deal. Feldman is a solid pitcher, and we got him for two guys that in all likelihood, were not going to help us moving forward. I was surprised we had not DFA'd Strop by now and I just don't think Jake was ever going to get it done in Baltimore. He is talented, and maybe he just needs some new voices and a change of scenery. But he was never going to turn it around in Baltimore, IMO.

And we have to keep in mind that Jake is 27; he is not a prospect anymore. I like him, but he has had plenty of chances here. I wish both of them luck, and am happy that they were dealt to the NL.

I think this is a clear win for the O's.

Great post. The more I think about it, the more I like this deal. Love the fact that Feldman is a groundball pitcher, and Clevenger looks good too.

I'm not in love with it, but probably because I think they waited too long and sold low on Arrieta. I didn't care what happened to Strop.

And the Joe Saunders deal last year was much better than this one. They only gave up Lindstrom in that deal. And not all that impressed with Feldman's body of work. He had one good year in Texas wrapped around a whole bunch of +5.00 ERA ones. And he got his brains beat in in the AL West. I don't think they gained a whole lot. Throw Steve Johnson or somebody out there and he'll probably wind up doing just as well.

But all that said, let's see what he can do, I hope he proves me wrong.

Lindstrom had been a very reliable member of the bullpen, but was expendable because of Strop and O'Day. Also remember that the trade was in August, not early June. We are getting Feldman for about 10 additional starts than what we got from Saunders.

Thanks, I did understand that but I wasn't clear.

I guess I would be more jazzed if I thought Feldman was an upgrade. I feel like we gave up two guys with good stuff for someone that I am unsure will even make the team better today or in the future.

I hear ya, but having good stuff is only part of the equation.

Archived