Roch contradicts OH report

fearthenoodle

I would love to see a few of these trades go down at roughly the same time. There is still a lot of shaping of this roster that is being done. AM certainly cannot wait a week between trades anymore, he doesn't have the time. I wonder when we will start to see teams start to be content with what they have, especially as it comes to position players. Would love to see data on the frequency of trades by date.

On the other hand I think holding on to some of these pitchers for a little bit might be to our advantage. There is certain to be a few pitchers that either flop or get injured in spring training that teams were counting on to be competitive (C.I.P. Carpenter). I would think holding on to someone like Marshall, who has had relative success in the majors, until then and then trading him on the high could be good.

I hope McPhail can play a mean game of chess, because if he messes these next few moves up I fear its checkmate for the O's

I don't think the sky falls if a week goes by between trades.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming that Bedard, Payton, one of Huff/Millar and maybe Mora are traded which I think is a likely scenario, AM doesn't have a week in-between trades. I agree with the post, I think we're going to see a flurry of trades within the next 2 weeks.

I don't know personally. It is my inclination that as we get closer to the season the likelihood of a trade decreases at a drastic rate. Then again this is why I asked if anyone has ever plotted the frequency of trades according to date from year to year. I think that would be some interesting data.

True but due to roster implications I think AM would really want to be able to get it sorted out a lot sooner between each trade, so we dont have to drop players from the 40 man if we dont have to.

True but due to roster implications I think AM would really want to be able to get it sorted out a lot sooner between each trade, so we dont have to drop players from the 40 man if we dont have to.

Although I don't usually jump in on the roster management matters, this seems to be the most important consideration as far as the timing of trades right now. Assuming the Roberts trade is as reported, that would add 3 more to an already full 40-man roster. Then, Bedard could net 2 or 3 more that need to go on there. So, with the subtraction of Roberts and Bedard, that could be an additional 4 spaces needed. I know there are still a few players that we could drop with no heartburn at all, but it is getting to the point where we won't have enough room to protect everyone we want to if some other trades don't happen fairly quickly.

Although I don't usually jump in on the roster management matters, this seems to be the most important consideration as far as the timing of trades right now. Assuming the Roberts trade is as reported, that would add 3 more to an already full 40-man roster. Then, Bedard could net 2 or 3 more that need to go on there. So, with the subtraction of Roberts and Bedard, that could be an additional 4 spaces needed. I know there are still a few players that we could drop with no heartburn at all, but it is getting to the point where we won't have enough room to protect everyone we want to if some other trades don't happen fairly quickly.

Excuse my ignorance but do all of the reported players coming back have to be on the 40 man? I know the ones that have lost their rookie status do but are all of the players coming back past that point?

Excuse my ignorance but do all of the reported players coming back have to be on the 40 man? I know the ones that have lost their rookie status do but are all of the players coming back past that point?

Since I'm definitely not even close to being the best person to answer this question, my ignorance will excuse your ignorance. ;)

However, I believe all 3 of the Cubs players coming to us would need to be on the 40-man. Also, Jones and Clement from Seattle would have to go on there...and Sherill if he is included.

That's a good point.

I'll go further than that with opinion. The thought that keeps crossing my mind is that someone he acquired is being flipped in a Bedard deal to the Mariners. And MacPhail is looking forward to announcing both trades close together. And OH's scoop potentially steals some of that thunder.

Not only that, but I can't help but feel that people in the Warehouse would much rather say "we just traded Erik Bedard, Jay Payton andBrianRoberts for these 15 new guys, some of whom we've already arranged to flip to other teams for even more new guys" than have to announce the departure of a fan favorite for three guys most casual fans have never heard of.

Actually it's a black hole of stupidity so dense that no intelligence can escape it's grasp.

But hey, you get what you pay for.

Oh, I don't know about that. I just started coming over here and started checking in over there several months ago. I've found a lot of intelligent posters.

I don't understand why posters on either site waste time degrading the other, to be honest. You'd think if they had such a poor opinion of each other, they wouldn't visit each other's sites...

Archived