How do the O's push a starter with a 2.74 ERA over his last four starts out of the rotation?

wildcard

We wouldn't make Hammel a 14M offer. He's take it. And I am fine with Gausman, Britton, Wada, and Johnson combining for something under 5 ERA, unlike Hammel. Fast forward to next year, our rotation looks to be Chen, Tillman, Gonzalez, Gausman, Britton.

Can we at least get through this year, before worrying about next year's lineup? :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britton may have to go to Norfolk at some point in the future. If Wada has the leverage to force his way to the majors because of his contract, Britton may be the only one with an option on the O's pitching staff that could go.

Gausman probably gets optioned for Chen to be recalled. Gonzo and O'Day have options but they are not going to be sent down.

But the move to bring Wada up is sometimes in the future and I have not heard anything about the conditions that were agreed on to extend Wada's stay at Norfolk.

Can we at least get through this year, before worrying about next year's lineup? :)
I don't think we are going to the playoffs, but if we do we aren't going deep. I am looking ahead to next year, and we need more young SP, if we aren't going to spend on TOR SP.

They look at the totality of his record and those of the competition and decide that he's wildly unlikley to continue to be a 2.74 ERA pitcher, and the guys he's up against are probably better. In those four starts Britton has allowed 23 hits, 10 walks, and has only struck out 10. When you're allowing almost 1.5 baserunners per inning you're not going to maintain a 2.75 ERA.

Both Hammel and Britton have component ERAs in the 4.50-5.00 range. Hammel probably gets the benefit of the doubt because he has better stuff and pitched far better last year. And doesn't have 43 walks in 90 AAA innings in the last year+.

23 hits and 10 walks in 23 innings is a 1.43 WHIP for Britton. Hammel has a 1.40

WHIP on the season. Also, Hammel gives up a lot more home runs. He's given up at least one homerun in his last 6 starts. Britton's lack of strike outs is

concerning, but at least he keeps the ball in the park. I'd personally give

the benefit of the doubt to Britton and move Hammel to the bullpen.

That would give us 2 lefties in the rotation and 3 in the bullpen which is a good

balance. Hammel in the bullpen would give us a righty that could go multiple

innings. Plus, Britton is only 25 and is out of options next year while Hammel

will be a free agent. This is why I give any tie breakers to Britton. Let's figure

out if he can be a valuable part of the rotation going forward.

I don't think we are going to the playoffs, but if we do we aren't going deep. I am looking ahead to next year, and we need more young SP, if we aren't going to spend on TOR SP.

Spot on, although I think we could squeak in to a wildcard spot if Machado and Davis keep playing out of their minds. After that we just don't have the horses to take the "next step", that was decided in the offseason.

As far as "spending" on a TOR starter?? We wouldn't spend 6 MILLION on a guy who was solid in our rotation last year and helped us get to the playoffs, there is zero chance we spend on anything much less a good FA. It would take the jaws of life to pry $60 million or more from his hands on a free agent pitcher.

I mean letting our 5th, reliable starter walk over 6m was pure genius, definitely don't need that guy. Maybe one day MASN will turn a profit and we can afford to not operate like the Rays. I mean who would think of building on the success/added revenues of 2012 instead of taking away from it for chump change? Certainly not our owner.

I can only imagine the position this FO (cough **owner** cough) would have put us in right now if we didn't have 2 guys playing like MVP's and shattering records at the plate.

Maybe he can be an even greater "philanthropist" for the community with all the money he has been stashing away for the past 8 years, and everyone can tell us how much of a great guy he is.

One day....one day.

As far as "spending" on a TOR starter?? We wouldn't spend 6 MILLION on a guy who was solid in our rotation last year and helped us get to the playoffs, there is zero chance we spend on anything much less a good FA. It would take the jaws of life to pry $60 million or more from his hands on a free agent pitcher.

I mean letting our 5th, reliable starter walk over 6m was pure genius, definitely don't need that guy. Maybe one day MASN will turn a profit and we can afford to not operate like the Rays.

According to Cots:

Baltimore

2013: $ 92,238,333

2012: $ 84,102,333

2011: $ 86,942,583

Tampa Bay

2013: $ 61,928,975

2012: $ 63,627,200

2011: $ 42,171,308

I'm pretty sure we're spending more than Tampa. And you want to push Hammel out of the rotation, but think signing Saunders and his 4.74 ERA would have been a good idea? I see.

Spot on, although I think we could squeak in to a wildcard spot if Machado and Davis keep playing out of their minds. After that we just don't have the horses to take the "next step", that was decided in the offseason.

I mean letting our 5th, reliable starter walk over 6m was pure genius, definitely don't need that guy. Maybe one day MASN will turn a profit and we can afford to not operate like the Rays. I mean who would think of building on the success/added revenues of 2012 instead of taking away from it for chump change? Certainly not our owner.

I can only imagine the position this FO (cough **owner** cough) would have put us in right now if we didn't have 2 guys playing like MVP's and shattering records at the plate.

Maybe he can be an even greater "philanthropist" for the community with all the money he has been stashing away for the past 8 years, and everyone can tell us how much of a great guy he is.

One day....one day.

You mean the guy that is 2 and 5 with a 5.81 ERA away from Seattle? The one averaging less then 6 IP a start on the road? Him? That is what is hurting the O's?

We wouldn't make Hammel a 14M offer. He's take it. And I am fine with Gausman, Britton, Wada, and Johnson combining for something under 5 ERA, unlike Hammel. Fast forward to next year, our rotation looks to be Chen, Tillman, Gonzalez, Gausman, Britton.

I guess Hammel would take it unless he was confident he could get a multi year deal. How he pitches the rest of the way will say a lot in that regard. I am worried about this year and I think you keep him.

As far as next year if we go with what you want we will being putting a lot of pressure on some young pitchers to step up with very little depth.

You mean the guy that is 2 and 5 with a 5.81 ERA away from Seattle? The one averaging less then 6 IP a start on the road? Him? That is what is hurting the O's?

Yes, to this. We also are taking on 3M with Feldman as well.

Three months ago many thought Davis could not repeat his 33 homer of 2012. Now most think he has a pretty good chance to get his 33 homer this year. Three months ago nice improvement for Manny would have been to hit for 760 OPS. Now people are expecting a little more.

The O's pitching is likely to take a step forward in the second half. And as the pitching goes so goes the O's. So don't count the O's out with 3 months to go. They may surprise you.

Lets cherry pick numbers to support our theory that letting the guy that helped us down the stretch at the back of our rotation is no good anymore since we were too cheap to pay him!

He surely couldn't have helped us this year, nah of course not.

Lets cherry pick numbers to support our theory that letting the guy that helped us down the stretch at the back of our rotation is no good anymore since we were too cheap to pay him!

So sucking on the road is cherring picking numbers? How bad would they be pitching in AL East parks?

We signed a Joe Saunders guy....his name is Freddie Garcia. If you don't believe me look at their career numbers and recent histories. And last I checked Garcia was a tad cheaper.

According to Cots:

Baltimore

2013: $ 92,238,333

2012: $ 84,102,333

2011: $ 86,942,583

Tampa Bay

2013: $ 61,928,975

2012: $ 63,627,200

2011: $ 42,171,308

I'm pretty sure we're spending more than Tampa. And you want to push Hammel out of the rotation, but think signing Saunders and his 4.74 ERA would have been a good idea? I see.

I said "operate" like Tampa, I said nothing of the sort about how much we spend compared to them. I am well aware of what our payroll is and has been.

Letting a guy who was your 5th starter walk over 1 year and 6 million and hoping a bunch of unproven young cheaper options is the how a budget constrained team operates, like the Rays. And like the Orioles.

Archived