How do the O's push a starter with a 2.74 ERA over his last four starts out of the rotation?

wildcard

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know who never had a 200 K season?

Palmer.

Yea, but if Palmer came up today he'd throw all out for 6 innings a start and strike out 225 a year. But he'd also have three Tommy Johns and end up as a broken down 34-year-old getting heckled by the Angels fans who expected him to produce for his 10/150 deal.

Davy Johnson used to get mad at Mussina for trying to strike everybody out, it adds up the number of pitches they throw. Nothing wrong with striking out guys when you need to, but he claimed you need to let your defense do their job.

Wonder if he still believes that, with Strasburg on his staff.

Davy Johnson used to get mad at Mussina for trying to strike everybody out, it adds up the number of pitches they throw. Nothing wrong with striking out guys when you need to, but he claimed you need to let your defense do their job.

Wonder if he still believes that, with Strasburg on his staff.

Wonder if he still believes that, with data available that shows strikeout pitchers don't throw more pitches than finesse/contact pitchers?

Wonder if he still believes that, with data available that shows strikeout pitchers don't throw more pitches than finesse/contact pitchers?

Isn't this somewhat situation dependent?

A ground ball pitcher at OPACY with Hardy, Machado, and Flaherty behind him should probably pitch to contact. A ground ball pitcher pitching for the Tigers at the Skydome should probably pitch for Ks.

I seem to recall a study done that tried to form a more nuanced opinion about this by comparing z-contact% vs o-contact%. I think the opinion formed was that pitchers that "try" to induce K's via a low o-contact% are more prone to higher pitch counts (as expected.) However, most good K pitchers have a lower z-contact%, which doesn't really elevate their pitch count much.

Bump. Britton falls apart again. More walks than strikeouts on the season. He lives on the edge before falling apart. I think he'll probably never be the same guy he was before the shoulder problems.

To be completely honest he had control issues before the shoulder problems, it was just easier for him to do without the 2 seamer when he could run a 4 seamer up there at 97.

Kiss Britton goodbye.

I'll let you do the kissing but yeah. When you have an option you have to pitch well to stay in the rotation. Buck said he needs a righthanded long man. That sounds like Gausman at this point. Hope he can hold it together for a couple of innings.

I think BS is sometimes his own worse enemy Even when guys pitch effectively through 6 he goes to the pen if Hunter and O'Day are rested and likes the match ups. He tends to be very conservative and by the book instead of stretching them out. Why did Buck have Britton pitch to Beltre in that situation when Beltre hit one earlier?

I think BS is sometimes his own worse enemy Even when guys pitch effectively through 6 he goes to the pen if Hunter and O'Day are rested and likes the match ups. He tends to be very conservative and by the book instead of stretching them out. Why did Buck have Britton pitch to Beltre in that situation when Beltre hit one earlier?

Because "streching them out" is a synonym for "letting them pitch into game situations where there is rock-solid evidence they perform worse than a rested reliever."

Archived