Orioles offical denies report

Tony-OH

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tony, you didn't get into trouble with the organization did you? I hope not...

Why would he get in trouble? Someone tells him something, he trusts the source, he reports it. It's not like someone's life, career, or even weekend plans hang in the balance.

Don't you think the Orioles love that people are talking about them on January 9th? In a positive manner no less...

I'm unable to read all the posts at this time, so I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned. But, another possible reason why the O's officials are not confirming the trade and using terms like "very innacurate" is because they want to finalize the Bedard trade first.

Perhaps this is a reach, but it's just a thought. Perhaps, somehow, trading Roberts first will alter what Bavasi is willing to part with in a Bedard deal.

I don't know. Just trying to make sense of it. Most likely the trade just hasn't cleared all the channels yet.

Me personally..........

I feel that the O's front office should be happy that this many people still even take an interest in the team. Lets be honest Andy, for the last DECADE this team has, quite frankly, SUCKED!!! That there are a thousand people who can still have this amount of emotion in the middle of January about this team is phenomenal.

Be happy, at least you have a better fan base to build around than you do a MiL player base..................................

I would think that a team with 10 consecutive years of losing would have bigger concerns than worrying about leaks.

A franchise that's sucked for a long time needs to start doing basic stuff right, and stopping leaks falls into the "basic stuff" category. So does fixing the farm system, so that it fixes problems instead of just passing them on to the next level, which is what the O's farm system seems to be doing. There's lots of basic stuff that needs fixing that is not about making trades. The unilateral focus on making trades is a message-board thing, not a fixing-the-franchise thing. I hope AM has been spending time on a lot more stuff than just-trades.

A franchise that's sucked for a long time needs to start doing basic stuff right, and stopping leaks falls into the "basic stuff" category. So does fixing the farm system, so that it fixes problems instead of just passing them on to the next level, which is what the O's farm system seems to be doing. There's lots of basic stuff that needs fixing that is not about making trades. The unilateral focus on making trades is a message-board thing, not a fixing-the-franchise thing. I hope AM has been spending time on a lot more stuff than just-trades.

Shack...great point and perhaps I was a bit overzealous in that statement. I would agree that tightening the loose lips would probably not be a bad part of the "redirection" of the team.

I think a lot of the elimination of leaks this offseason may be due to the amount of trades AM is trying to pull off, and how those trades may affect others. For instance, if AM is trying to pull off a Roberts trade and a Payton trade (to free up the roster spot) at the same time then I could understanding wanting no leaks that might affect the value of payton given the orioles needs

Why would he get in trouble? Someone tells him something, he trusts the source, he reports it. It's not like someone's life, career, or even weekend plans hang in the balance.

Don't you think the Orioles love that people are talking about them on January 9th? In a positive manner no less...

Hell if I know, I can just see him getting a not so nice phone call from the warehouse...

Why is everyone who disagrees with the popular view on the OH a "casual fan"? Die hard, obsessed, stat memorizing, every single game-watching fans can disagree. People can read different scouting reports on the players coming back or interpret them differently, or people can have different assessments of their team's needs, or how quickly a player is going to decline. One can also be a serious fan and hold the opinion that there is something to be gained by having certain franchise players who stay with their team and become an integral part of the community over the years. I honestly think there are a lot of people on this board who agree with the currently alleged trade largely because of groupthink. There is some powerful persuasion that goes on around here, part of which is pressure for people to prove they are "serious fans" by agreeing with the OH elite.

While much of what you say is true, I think the point was, casual fans have limited knowledge of prospects, and that is what we are getting back. I would say it is safe to claim that mostly all casual fans will not like this trade. Pretty much the only people who may like this trade are those who follow the game a bit closer.

That does not mean ALL intense fans will or should agree with the deal.

Why is everyone who disagrees with the popular view on the OH a "casual fan"? Die hard, obsessed, stat memorizing, every single game-watching fans can disagree. People can read different scouting reports on the players coming back or interpret them differently, or people can have different assessments of their team's needs, or how quickly a player is going to decline. One can also be a serious fan and hold the opinion that there is something to be gained by having certain franchise players who stay with their team and become an integral part of the community over the years. I honestly think there are a lot of people on this board who agree with the currently alleged trade largely because of groupthink. There is some powerful persuasion that goes on around here, part of which is pressure for people to prove they are "serious fans" by agreeing with the OH elite.

Agreed ... I read the Sun every morning over coffee. I am far from a casual fan.

Chicago Update:

Bruce Levine is reporting on ESPN 1000 nothing is done yet and that AM is trying to get more, that the players on "this Orioles fan website" may not meet McPhail's expectations and that other teams are trying for Roberts as well.

Of course he also said Bedard was only a year from free agency (missed one)and that including Rich Hill in a deal for Bedard would put the Cubs back where they started because Hill is such a good pitcher (because he was 4th in the NL in strikeouts).

Also guessing the Angels could be looking at Roberts as well to make Figgins available in a trade for a big bat (possibly Konerko).

AMEN ... Cause they are certainly not good enough for me. I'd like to get Gallagher in the deal. But Cedeno & Worst yet Marshall they can keep. I thought the idea was to get younger with potential. Too many pitchers spoil the Brew!

Archived